yj dome light wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj dome light wiring

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
tbowden91

yj dome light wiring

i would like to wire aftermarket lights to my jeep to come on when i open the doors i just bought new dome light switches in the doors and need to know where the plug for the dome light is located im not looking for the courtesy lamps

tbowden91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

On mine I though the dome was part of the courtesy lamps if you have the hard top. Mine are wired on the same power line and switch anyway.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

I think there may be a factory dome light, but you can add it another way by knowing how the system works. The door pins simply close the negative circuit to ground. The lights have constant positive but the negative is broken unless the doors open. Tap into the open negative of a door pin and run it to your dome light. Then find any fused positive that is always hott and run that as well.
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Also, if you ever run with the doors off, you can wire in a manual single throw switch into that same negative section (but you have to wire in both sides). Then flipping the switch with the doors off turns the lights on. More work but worth it.
Unread 08-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
tbowden91

Where is the courtesy lamp located on the passenger side I only know of the driver side? I have three connectors on the passenger side and one is a two wire connector is this possibly a dome light or courtesy lamp?
tbowden91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowden91
Where is the courtesy lamp located on the passenger side I only know of the driver side? I have three connectors on the passenger side and one is a two wire connector is this possibly a dome light or courtesy lamp?
There are two little lights right up under the dash close to where the door jam switches are. Those are the ones I know since my yj never had a hard top.
Unread 08-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
eyeinstine

My 95 yj only has a courtesy light on the driver side footwell area, none on the passenger side.?
Anyone else's like this? Looks uncut and unmolested. Don't see where one would have been or any wiring there for one.

Ron
eyeinstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i
Also, if you ever run with the doors off, you can wire in a manual single throw switch into that same negative section (but you have to wire in both sides). Then flipping the switch with the doors off turns the lights on. More work but worth it.
Why would you do this when the dimmer switch serves the same function?
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Why would you do this when the dimmer switch serves the same function?
???

I had to remove the pin switches from my door frame because I never have the doors on. What do you mean about the dimmer?
Unread 08-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas
??? I had to remove the pin switches from my door frame because I never have the doors on. What do you mean about the dimmer?

He said to wire in a switch so when the doors are off you can still turn on the lights. The dimmer switch rolls all the way up and turns them on.
Unread 08-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What I did to wire up a dome light, was run a wire to a positive, always on source. Then spliced the negative wire to the wire that goes to the door switch. When I go doorless, I just unplug the door switches. And the dimmer switch still works the dome light.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #12
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
He said to wire in a switch so when the doors are off you can still turn on the lights. The dimmer switch rolls all the way up and turns them on.
My dimmer switch doesnt work. Might have been eaier to fix it then to wire in another switch. Still i can reach the switch from the passenger side when by the door so it is convenient.
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have the under dash courtesy lights, but there is also a connector at the back driver side to connect to the hard top for the dome light on my 89.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.