YJ death wobble after bump - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ death wobble after bump

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
Corvo838

Yes the trac bar seems a little loose then. And my steering wheel has always had play. Especially since it is upside down just to drive straight.

Corvo838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Another thing that can cause the wobble, although rare did happen to me. Water in the tires.

This can happen if shop lines are not drained and your tires get filled or topped off. Since you hit a bump and the wobble starts you might check into this.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Another thing that can cause the wobble, although rare did happen to me. Water in the tires.

This can happen if shop lines are not drained and your tires get filled or topped off. Since you hit a bump and the wobble starts you might check into this.
Interesting I will check this out as well . I have been told that one way to balance Large difficult to balance tires is to put x = amount Airsoft pellets or something similar in them . Seams water would act the same . Not doubting you just a question . As I said I will be checking my tires for moisture as I can't seem to nail down the cause of my death wobble ..

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102joe View Post
Interesting I will check this out as well . I have been told that one way to balance Large difficult to balance tires is to put x = amount Airsoft pellets or something similar in them . Seams water would act the same . Not doubting you just a question . As I said I will be checking my tires for moisture as I can't seem to nail down the cause of my death wobble ..
Water will not act the same. Water splashes around, it was hell when it happened to me and hard for me to figure out. I have 33 inch tires I could not just lift a wheel and shake it.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #20
Corvo838

Well it seems to be the trac bar that has a little play
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
Corvo838

And since the trac bar is irrelevant this is leaving me stumped
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Generally, when it comes to death wobble, the largest culprits are worn tie rod ends and worn drag link ends. I would check all these components. A good way to check them is hop under the jeep and have a buddy turn the wheel side to side. If you see any upward play in these ball joints, it likely needs replacing.

The steering stabilizer is just a band aid for the fix. As others have stated, the steering stabilizer does make a difference and can cure death wobble, but it usually is just masking the underlying problem.

Trac bars and sway bars really do not affect much relating to death wobble. Check steering components first, and yes anything that seems loose should be tightened.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
87wrongler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just cured my death wobble for the time being. Turns out my steering gear was shot. Power steering pump also went out, so with both those components replaced I am death wobble free. I also have a new steering stabilizer going in whenever i get the free time just for some cheap reassurance.
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #24
bmxchan
1993 ZJ 

Another thing that cause shake very similar to the death wobble is if you have one brake cylinder that's locking up. Then it causes that one wheel to fight with the rest. Usually makes for a two handed white knuckle joy ride if you know what I mean haha
bmxchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
Corvo838

so should I rule out the loose steering shaft both at the column and at the steering box knuckle? This will only contribute to loose steering?
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #26
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvo838 View Post
so should I rule out the loose steering shaft both at the column and at the steering box knuckle? This will only contribute to loose steering?
I wouldn't rule it out. It may be a contributing factor.

How are the springs? OEM and flat? How about your shackles? How are they?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
britrider
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As for your upside-down steering wheel, this happened to me twice, once when I slid off the road and smacked a curb, and once when I slid off the road and smacked a tree. In both cases, the front tire(s) struck something solid while the wheel was turned. My jeep was at both times a manual steering jeep with 31" tires. The first time, I replaced the steering gearbox. The second time, the jeep was just a toy, so I unbolted the (Grant) steering wheel and rebolted it in the new center position. I finally swapped in a power steering system and have not had problems since, but then, I haven't slid off the road into something solid, either.

With respect to the DW problem, honestly, I've only ever heard people complain about it who have old, high-mileage or otherwise well-worn jeeps, and none of them has done any preventative maintenance on the front end components. If cash is tight but you're not strapped, do yourself a favor and replace all bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends. You're not talking a lot of money (unless you go to the Jeep dealer for the parts... new tie rod end at Jeep in Indy, 85 bucks, 13 or 14 bucks on-line), and you'll have peace of mind knowing your front end - your ability to steer, the most important part of a vehicle, IMO - is good and tight and ready for another 50k miles. Good luck -

Edit: I drove for many miles on 33s with no steering stabilizer. The jeep darted all over the place, especially under braking, but never went into the DW. I finally got around to ditching the 4WD Hardware dual stabilizer setup, which was rusted out, with a new factory stabilizer, and the old dog was a whole new vehicle, tracking straight and true under all circumstances.
britrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #28
tydp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My version of DW on 93 YJ

When I hit a bump, my front tires wobble back and forth slightly and then quickly correct themselves. For me it is like WTF? (My setup: 2 in BDS frpmt springs, Full Traction shackle reversal (don't judge me), JCR 1 ton over knuckle upgrade, single steering stabilizer, 33 12.50 Buckshots.....everything is new (less than 3,000 miles). Jeep has 57,000 miles. Steering box is tight, no play at all, goes straight down the road. I've jacked it up and checked for anything loose (unit bearings, ball joints, etc). Don't have a clue......only thing I may try is to add some 2 degree shims to add additional caster....I guess my post really didn't help except to say I feel your pain.....let us know if you figure out something.....
tydp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #29
Corvo838

I have done some further inspecting over the weekend to hopefully find a problem here. I have been online looking for answers and what to check and since its a yj it just seems to be different. I did happen to find that one of my TRE is a bit loose but could that really cause my severe DW of would that be a result of getting DW? so many places contradict with eachother. Regardless I am prob going to do my TRE but I don't want to get an alignment and have it not fixed and have to get another alignment down the road.
Unread 08-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #30
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, a loose tre could be the cause. Steering components have to be very tight in order to work properly. I would suggest replacing the tre yourself and using a tape measure to set the center and toe in close. See if your problem persists.

If it does persist, start looking elsewhere.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.