YJ Dashboard Redesign - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Dashboard Redesign

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #76
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The grab handle is going to go through the dash completely and mount to a brace behind everything, I have not gotten there yet. It is not going to be supported well enough if it is just mounted to the face of the dash, especially not on the door of the glove box.

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #77
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, Its been a while, I ave been slowly picking away at this. Here is where I am at now. I think I am pretty close to being done. I want to make some drawings next and double check measurements.

Notice 3 vents for HVAC (just rectangular holes), defrost vents, and place for HVAC controls, radio, and CB.

speakers will go on the same face as the defrost vents

The face plates are easily removed and replaced with any configurating.

The upper glove box can also be easily removed if one wanted to add something different in that area

Still trying to find some universal vents that I like and that will fit

I decided to do away with the grab bar for now. Its not that important to me.

The center console will be next!
dash-assem.jpg   dash-assem-2.jpg   dash-assem3.jpg  

Unread 01-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #78
blueeyes
1993 YJ Wrangler 

awesome !

i like the white center console on the first page. if i could mix that with what you have here. that would leave me in no position but to send you alot of money!!
blueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #79
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I plan to have a center console come off of this just like the white one on the first page, and include spots for speakers and vents in the center console.

Mine however will need to be much different because I have a manual, and my shifter is much further forward than stock.

I plan to design one to fit my Jeep first, than I will do one that will fit a stock YJ

It just takes a lot of time when you are only working on it during lunch breaks haha.

Unread 01-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #80
jeeper1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I like the design of a kenworth dash everything is close and panels fold down for easy access to the gauges and switches
jeeper1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #81
spooksouth
1989 YJ Wrangler 

look at 1985 nissan heater and ac box>
spooksouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #82
andybloch1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Head Unit in center console

I hate the location of the head unit in my YJ. I am a channel flicker so I lean on one elbow while driving to change channels on my radio. I love the idea of putting the head unit facing up in the center console for both ease of use and security.

Also, the four wheel drive indicator is overkill. A simple led would do.

Love the progress. I also love the white one from an earlier post.

Have you considered digital gauges like expensive cars in the early nineties had?
Unread 01-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #83
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

why dont u just use some 3/4 or 1" square tubing coming out of the dash above the glove box for a solid grab handle
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #84
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Each panel will be easy to take off so you can get behind it if you need to.

I am actually working on getting an XJ HVAC unit to fit so I can have AC and heat all hidden behind the dash, as well as re-wiring everything, my YJ is currently like every YJ with a hacked wiring harness and only half of everything works.

This is something I plan to produce and sell, and right now I have not come up with a way to add a grab bar that can be cheaply produced. So far it is all sheetmetal that can be laser cut, bent, tack welded and assembled, it is cheap and easy, once you add tubing and bending, or cutting and welding, its a little more costly. Also, if I use square tubing I will end up with sharp corners that I dont really want.

I plan to use Isspro gauges only because they are the only ones I can find that I can get a pyrometer, boost gauge, and a tach that will work with a diesel in a matching set.

I also need to come up with a good indicator light panel....

I plan to be able to rest my arm on the shifter and be able to control the radio, I am a big time channel changer.

Unread 01-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #85
blueeyes
1993 YJ Wrangler 

auto

ill be swaping to an auto in the near future, so a simple shot down to the hump in the tub would work for me. but something adjustible or moduler would be cool, for multiple reasons!!!
blueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #86
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

That's what I am trying for, because we are all always changing and adding to our jeeps, so it would be nice to be able to swap face plates to add switch's or whatever, and not have to place them randomly all over. That said I dont expect to get it right the first time, but I gotta start somewhere. I hope to get an order for the laser cutter in by the end of the week.

Unread 01-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #87
meSiLlY
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like it. I was introduced to jeep's awesomeness.. (lol) back in the CJ days too. But.. I never liked the CJ flat dash. Yes it's functional.. but I don't live on the trails and my jeep is a DD. I like a little comfort. I even like my YJ dash. With that said.. kudos for your efforts!

Now for a suggestion, if you're still taking any.. Could the instrument panel be recessed a bit? Or perhaps the gauge pods recessed? Only reason I ask is because I fab'd a fairing for my Road King, out of fiberglass, a while ago. And the one thing that I learned when I made it was that sun glare can be a b!tch. My dash had a motorized lcd display with gps, car pc and speaker pods. It looked great but was almost useless during the day. I was going to redo the fairing with a louver over the head unit and screen. Or make a recess for it but I got rid of the bike before I got to fabbing again. Just a thought. Good work and good luck!
meSiLlY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #88
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribed I want to get a nice dash where I can mount all my neceseties on/in
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #89
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meSiLlY View Post
I like it. I was introduced to jeep's awesomeness.. (lol) back in the CJ days too. But.. I never liked the CJ flat dash. Yes it's functional.. but I don't live on the trails and my jeep is a DD. I like a little comfort. I even like my YJ dash. With that said.. kudos for your efforts!

Now for a suggestion, if you're still taking any.. Could the instrument panel be recessed a bit? Or perhaps the gauge pods recessed? Only reason I ask is because I fab'd a fairing for my Road King, out of fiberglass, a while ago. And the one thing that I learned when I made it was that sun glare can be a b!tch. My dash had a motorized lcd display with gps, car pc and speaker pods. It looked great but was almost useless during the day. I was going to redo the fairing with a louver over the head unit and screen. Or make a recess for it but I got rid of the bike before I got to fabbing again. Just a thought. Good work and good luck!
Thanks! I am glad I am not the only one who likes a little comfort. When I do the console I want to build in sockets for USB, at least 3 cigarette lighters, and have a hidden power inverter with just a flush mounted plug.

This has been a concern of mine the whole time I have been designing this, that is the reason I added the top edge that comes out over everything, but I am not convinced it comes out far enough to block the sun, and I do not want to make it come out much more because it starts to look real goofy and I cant get all the angles to work.

I wish I could recess the gauges, my only issue with that as of now is the back of the tachometer is only about 1/2" from the windshield wiper motor, and I want to be sure to leave enough room there.

I am definitely still taking suggestions

Check out what I found last night

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/category/...uminium,b.html

I am thinking of using these as my indicator lights, a little pricey (I think, they are in the UK, not sure what the conversion is between the dollar and the...euro I think?)

They have matching illuminated switches too

They also have some cheaper ones that still look nice though.

Anyway, there is some good stuff on that website, check it out.

Unread 01-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #90
fatjack
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I love what you're working on and can't wait to see the results. I have thought many times about reworking my dash and working a center console into it. My jeep is a stick though and I haven't quite figured out how that would all come together. Maybe you can. Keep us posted.
fatjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.