YJ Dashboard Redesign - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Dashboard Redesign

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #46
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good. Post up some pics when you start proto-typing.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #47
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know how do-able it is but I would throw some heat vents in the dash that point at you like in a normal car/newer Jeep. That is the only thing that I would change about a YJ dash the radio placement does not bother me too much, but I DD mine and don't have 20 toggle switches for off road light/lockers/winches/compressors ect.
Unread 10-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #48
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Grant yj- never fully answered you. I bought a 4bt complete with all the accessories and turbo. I made it air to air intercooled, and used a bellhousing clutch and trans from a dodge ram. I got an adapter kit to mate the 231 to the nv4500. Did a super short SYE and its good to go. I did Not feel like tearing a bread truck apart, but is usually cheaper. Its hard to find a decent 4bt for less than 2k.

I honestly don't know what gears I have. Never really cared to look. I would guess 3.73 and 31" tires.

The nv4500 overdrive is .73 I think

Its definitely more involved than a SB v8 but its different. I'm getting about 20 mpg right now, I hope to get more like 28 eventually.

Its also cool to have boost gauge and a pyrometer in a jeep, blowing black smoke is fun too.

I learned on solidworks. Then got trained on inventor. I do a lot of sheetmetal design.

I'm going to try to play around with it over the weekend. Hopefully I can get a glove box worked out and grab bar

Heat vents will def be incorporated.

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #49
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Subscribed... I want to see how this turns out...I would swap out my dash for something like the prototype. I like the "classic" flat look, but its not very user friendly. I would also include a spot for toggle/rocker switches.
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #50
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11 View Post

Aaron J- I agree, who has that many switches anyway!! haha
its amazing how many things you can add on that you want switches for. I have just a few myself

Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #51
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

holy rockers batman!!!
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #52
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

that is indeed an impressive amount of switches haha. I want to try to figure out a way to make some parts of the dash "modular" so that people can easily add or remove mounting locations for switches, radios yadda yadda

Im a little nervous I have a crowd now, I hope I can deliver haha, I'll try to keep on it, but this is just something im doing in my spare time when its too rainy to work on my jeep haha, and it'll probably be a while before I settle on a design.

TJ

Unread 10-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #53
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11
that is indeed an impressive amount of switches haha. I want to try to figure out a way to make some parts of the dash "modular" so that people can easily add or remove mounting locations for switches, radios yadda yadda

Im a little nervous I have a crowd now, I hope I can deliver haha, I'll try to keep on it, but this is just something im doing in my spare time when its too rainy to work on my jeep haha, and it'll probably be a while before I settle on a design.

TJ
No pressure, we're all just waiting

Seriously though, I have been waiting for someone with more engineering than me create something . The modular idea isn't bad. I want my dash to have all the above things: cb, stereo, gauges, and switch panel. That'd be the ultimate
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #54
rkham11
2008 JK Wrangler 

So once you settle on a design, what material do you plan to use for the construction?
rkham11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #55
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I was actually wondering this myself earlier today.

I'm not sure yet, I would like to do aluminum, but I dont think the benefits of aluminum (lightweight, corrosion resistance) really out weigh the price in this application. Also, its more difficult to get paint to stick to aluminum, even powder coating tends to flake off if you dont treat the alum. correctly beforehand, and anodizing is pricey.

So as of now I will probably lean towards like 1/8" steel for most of it, and maybe step it up to 3/16" or something in some other places. I want it to be pretty tough and durable, and i dont think too many of us are worried about weight, I just put a 700 lb motor in my Jeep so I'm not to worried about an extra 20-30 lbs, I actually dont mind adding a lot of weight to my Jeep, I am on the fence about bringing it to a truck pull and seeing how far I can pull a sled haha.

Unread 10-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #56
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11

So as of now I will probably lean towards like 1/8" steel for most of it, and maybe step it up to 3/16" or something in some other places.
Really 12ga is plenty stout for most areas of the dash. The only place that may need more is the grab bar and simply using a 12ga doubler to strengthen the area would be plenty. 3/16" is body armor thickness and would add no benefit over 12ga in this application asside from being near bulletproof. You would also be spending more money on materials for no reason
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #57
95yj-af
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It may be wise to have the section that won't be removable made out of a more durable material than the panels. The way I'm reading this is you want it to make removable panels to allow the consumer not just access the back of the gauges but to allow them to fully customize it to there need and to allow them to grow into future needs. For example I am currently bone stock but hate both the layout and plastic of the yj, so I am looking for a dash. I would be willing to buy, lets say a stock replacement/starter dash system. That includes the structure, stock gauges, vent relocation, glove box, etc... however down the road I know I want to increase the capability of my yj which will mean the typical upgrades. That means I will need different options on my dash, more gauges, swithes, cb, among other things. Which means I would need to replace my dash, but with your design I wouldn't have to change the whole thing just undue some bolts and change out the panel.

The other thing that may be nice is to use camlocks(1/4 turn) fasteners to allow easy access to the rear of the panel for the trail. We use them on c-130 engines and the only time they pop out is when they aren't installed correctly.

Sent from my Garminfone using JeepForum
95yj-af is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #58
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95yj-af View Post
It may be wise to have the section that won't be removable made out of a more durable material than the panels. The way I'm reading this is you want it to make removable panels to allow the consumer not just access the back of the gauges but to allow them to fully customize it to there need and to allow them to grow into future needs. For example I am currently bone stock but hate both the layout and plastic of the yj, so I am looking for a dash. I would be willing to buy, lets say a stock replacement/starter dash system. That includes the structure, stock gauges, vent relocation, glove box, etc... however down the road I know I want to increase the capability of my yj which will mean the typical upgrades. That means I will need different options on my dash, more gauges, swithes, cb, among other things. Which means I would need to replace my dash, but with your design I wouldn't have to change the whole thing just undue some bolts and change out the panel.

The other thing that may be nice is to use camlocks(1/4 turn) fasteners to allow easy access to the rear of the panel for the trail. We use them on c-130 engines and the only time they pop out is when they aren't installed correctly.

That is exactly the idea! Everyone is always changing things on their YJ, and it would be nice to just buy a new panel for like 20 bucks so you can do a clean install of something else like a CB or switches.

The other reason is it is apparent just from this thread that everybody wants something different, and I will never make everyone happy, but a modular design will make more people happy.

12 ga is probably good, I tend to overbuild on my YJ haha

I really like the idea of cam locks! I did not think of that! They would look clean and make it easy to get behind things on the trail. Consider that done! we use some nice compact ones where I work.

Unread 10-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #59
95yj-af
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What we have on our engines is cam locks on three sides and the fourth has them on a hinge. For your design I would suggest the hinge at the bottom so it could be lowered for easy temporary access.

95yj-af is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #60
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

just wanted to throw this pic up. my rig with the cummins right after I got it running. I'm going to start a build thread here soon
jeep-3.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.