YJ Dashboard Redesign - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Dashboard Redesign

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #31
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yes, i noticed it on the stainless dash but not on the computerized dash on the first page, sorry. i did catch it on yours but when i answered, i missed the whole second page some how. when i posted mine, i was thinking where the hell did all these other posts come from, ha ha ha

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #32
rkham11
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
doh!!! let me look again
Well it has the angle, but the layout is completely different than the BMW, I have my guages in the center of the dash CJ style. The guage cluster + radio are angled toward the driver 10 degrees.
rkham11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #33
rkham11
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
yes, i noticed it on the stainless dash but not on the computerized dash on the first page, sorry. i did catch it on yours but when i answered, i missed the whole second page some how. when i posted mine, i was thinking where the hell did all these other posts come from, ha ha ha
It's all good, we're all just tossing ideas around here. However, I think the next dash I build wont have the angled center section because I would like the gauges behind the wheel like an actual car.

It basically comes down to what you're looking for in the rig. Will it be a hardcore trail rig, or a street jeep?
Unread 10-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #34
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yes sir, so true
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #35
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've been talking to the DD guy by email but man he is slooooowww to get back to ya. I'm not in a huge rush but i've got my jeep pretty tore up from the TBI kit. I'd like to get this dash done same time.
tommbstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #36
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommbstone
I've been talking to the DD guy by email but man he is slooooowww to get back to ya.
Dan has a day job and does the dash's and fab work in his spare time, it is not a shop full of guys cranking stuff out. The great thing is he will let you design the dash and then help you tweak the design if needed. Once you finalize the design it takes 4-6 weeks for him to get your dash together and shipped. I have a dash from DD and can say the quality is top notch.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #37
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to put my thoughts into text here, so bear with me. I have thought about re-designing the dash in my Jeep so that everything is in a more comfortable location, AS WELL as re-designing the heater controls so that your fingers aren't being frozen off on the cold days.

So basically I was looking to make something that would allow the speedometer and tach to stay in the same general location, just at a better angle for easier viewing. Then move the oil pressure, battery voltage, engine temp, and fuel gauge to the middle where the dash indicator lights are. Actually, it might be best to move everything up and in so that you can make room for a heater vent on the outside and inside locations. The windshield defrosters are in a good location already, so no need to really move those around. The dash indicator lights you could move around so that they are arranged around the gauges- wouldn't be hard to move them around, they're basically just lights.

The steering column is fine already component layout wise, but it would be nicer if it was a bit higher up. Same angle, just higher so that it's easier to slide in. Don't know if the YJ's ever came with an adjustable steering column, but mine sure doesn't have one, so it's a bit hard to slip in sometimes.

Things like the stereo could go in a location where the misc gauges were originally, just closer to the driver- a CB radio could easily fit right below that. I would probably place a heater vent between the speedometer and the radios. And of course there has to be a location for switches. Switches are highly important to any Jeeper, be it for actual functionality, like flipping on your 15 sets of totally badazz lights, or even for those day crawlers that just like to have cool switches that really don't do anything, but they look cool.

The passenger side I would still have a glove compartment, except make it bigger and more roomy. The paperwork I have I kind of have to fold up to get in there- move it closer to the driver too, and place heater vents on either side for passenger comfort. Can't forget a cool glove box light too.

Those were just my thoughts on the matter. I would LOVE to put them onto paper then into form.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #38
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
I apologize for not communicating as well as I could have, we're talking about completely different things. I believe that you have a very good setup for reading the gauges and everyday use. What I was trying to say was that the back of the dash appears to be closed and we agree that you must use aftermarket gauges (which you need access to the back side to install)...

The only way that you could install them is to have a piece of material that the gauges are attached to (I referred to them as panels) and then install the panel into a large opening in your dash (similar to the green dash posted earlier in the thread). When I said that the "gauges, switches, and controls would be much less convenient to work with", it was an attempt to highlight a problem in a diplomatic way (you never know who's going to be sensitive).

I've worked in design and development for over fifteen years. Most of that time has been spent looking over the work of others for errors and working out solutions when they get stuck. I apologize if I'm coming across in a snotty manner, it's definitely not my intention, but I tend to immediately look for flaws whenever a drawing is placed in front of me (by the way, which program are you using? Initially, I thought that it was Inventor, but something seems different).

As for the Cummins, I'd love to drop one in my Jeep. I don't know if I really want to go through the hassels involved, but I definitely envy you on yours. I'll probably end up dropping in either a 302 or a 300 straight six for the sake of ease, but I've done a ton of reading on what you've accomplished... To me, it seems like the 4BT would be a near perfect mix of torque, economy, simplicity, and longevity. Did you buy your engine by itself or go the "buy a bread truck" route? Honestly, the biggest road block for me swapping in a 4BT is the very real possibility that my wife would suffocate me in my sleep with a pillow if I parked a bread truck in our driveway.
No worries, I was just confused.

The model does not show it well, especially since this was during my lunch break with some measurements written on my hand, but the whole front piece is intended to be removable, without having the lower the windshield. I think I might do like a face plate or panel for the gauges that can be removed if you just wanted to get behind the gauges, and it would make different configurations easy to swap in and out, and maybe the same thing for the middle section, say if 1 person wanted a spot for a CB, but somebody else didn't.

I'm working with inventor at work, solidworks at home, Pro E can suck it haha.

The cummins seems to be a great combo so far. I NEED to re-gear to like 3.08 because its nearly impossible to pull out in 1st without chirping the tires, and top speed is like 70 mph since the engine redlines at 2800 rpm. Not to mention I have a 600 HP dodge ram 2500 clutch in it, so it just grabs! I am pretty confident I could spool it up, dump the clutch, and break the front and rear axle at the same time haha. It is also I little front heavy, and I just added lift shackles in the front, for now, I'm looking into the right combo of springs. I need to make a build thread for it and get some pics up.

Xpress, sounds like you and I are on the same page, I'll keep refining the design.

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #39
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkham11 View Post
It basically comes down to what you're looking for in the rig. Will it be a hardcore trail rig, or a street jeep?
Seems to always be the question, but if your like me, I foolishly think I can make my Jeep both haha, like I could drive up down potato salad in Moab, then have a pleasant quiet, electronically controlled climate on the way home....... a man can dream!

Unread 10-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #40
rkham11
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post

So basically I was looking to make something that would allow the speedometer and tach to stay in the same general location, just at a better angle for easier viewing. Then move the oil pressure, battery voltage, engine temp, and fuel gauge to the middle where the dash indicator lights are. Actually, it might be best to move everything up and in so that you can make room for a heater vent on the outside and inside locations. The windshield defrosters are in a good location already, so no need to really move those around. The dash indicator lights you could move around so that they are arranged around the gauges- wouldn't be hard to move them around, they're basically just lights.

Don't know if the YJ's ever came with an adjustable steering column, but mine sure doesn't have one, so it's a bit hard to slip in sometimes.

Right behind the warning/caution lights is a bracket that holds the steering column in place. It would be impossible to put gauges there.

Also, YJs had optional adjustable steering columns
Unread 10-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #41
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkham11 View Post
Right behind the warning/caution lights is a bracket that holds the steering column in place. It would be impossible to put gauges there.

Also, YJs had optional adjustable steering columns
Not at all impossible if you move the entire dash forward off of that bracket, think about how long the steering column is, and how much further off that bracket the face of the dash could be, its about 6"

My old 93 YJ had a tilt column, and that is the only YJ I have noticed with one since.

Unread 10-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #42
rkham11
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11 View Post
Not at all impossible if you move the entire dash forward off of that bracket, think about how long the steering column is, and how much further off that bracket the face of the dash could be, its about 6"

My old 93 YJ had a tilt column, and that is the only YJ I have noticed with one since.
Yes, i suppose it's easily possible if the dash is offset from from that bracket and not flat CJ style.

I drive a YJ with tilt steering and a good friend of mine has a YJ with tilt steering. I assumed it was common
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #43
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, maybe this will show things a little better, notice how far up and out everything is, creating much more space behind the dash for storage, and room for gauges behind the wheel, more concerned about clearance around the windsheild motor than anything.

Also, HVAC controls and radio are within sight and reach

Working on the glovebox and grab bar next....

These pics are modeled with the seat allll the way back, and a 6ft man

Again, these are general dimensional concepts, yes I know the steering wheel is not square, and the seat isnt perfect, but they represent max dimensions. The dimensions from the dash to seat, dash to floor ect. are all within .25" on this model.
untitled1.jpg   untitled2.jpg   untitled3.jpg   untitled4.jpg  

Unread 10-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #44
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Changed this one slightly, radio and HVAC are angled a bit too
untitled5.jpg  

Unread 10-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #45
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...the whole front piece is intended to be removable, without having the lower the windshield...
All good, I just didn't want you to design yourself into a corner.

Quote:
I'm working with inventor at work, solidworks at home, Pro E can suck it haha.
I haven't worked in solidworks in a couple of years. I've got Inventor, but honestly, for quick and dirty design work (one off stuff) I typically end up just banging it out using 3D Autocad. I haven't worked with Pro E since the mid nineties. Back then it was the bomb when compared with the other available systems.

Quote:
The cummins seems to be a great combo so far. I NEED to re-gear to like 3.08 because its nearly impossible to pull out in 1st without chirping the tires, and top speed is like 70 mph since the engine redlines at 2800 rpm.
Are you running 4.10s? You're going to get me in trouble thinking about a 4BT again... I could swap in a 302 setup fairly cheap and easy and have a good runner, but it would be awfully nice to have the diesel.
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.