YJ Dashboard Redesign - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Dashboard Redesign

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Dashboard Redesign

Fellas,

I am a mechanical engineer, and I do a lot of sheetmetal design. In my spare time I have been working on a few sheetmetal YJ dashboard designs to totally replace all the plastic, relocate the gauges to where you can see them, and relocate the radio/heater controls to where you can reach them.

I was just curious if anybody had any suggestions, ask yourself "If I could change 1 thing about my YJ interior, it would be....."

I would also like to add places for speakers that arent impossible to get to, and storage.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks

TJ

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd change the radio placement. It sucks.

Also, maybe add a slot for a CB.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
PotentialYJNewb
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'd kill to have the original dash back in mine as the PO made it so simplistic it's scary.
PotentialYJNewb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

This is a rough idea so far, just working out basic dimensions and placement
untitled.jpg  

Unread 10-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There's some pretty good ideas here....https://sites.google.com/site/doubledfab/jeep-cj-dashs
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

...not really a fan of any of those, I want to bring everything closer to me and in better view. I am also going to see if I can do something different with the heat controls....closer to a TJ setup.

Basically, I want my YJ interior to be a little more updated, a few more creature comforts, but still have the YJ look, and for it all to be tougher, and easier to work on, and allow for aftermarket gauges.

DoubleD might have some competition haha

Unread 10-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I want one that's all flat, but with the same basic layout. ie: gauge and speaker locations. But add a cb slot above the radio. Also have heater vents, that actually direct heat towards me.
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

really? Then you can't see anything!

I am definitly relocating heater vents to point air out, and still have defrost vents.....kinda like...every other normal car in the world haha

Unread 10-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
AaronJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Design something like these and share with the rest of us. (particularly the green one)

edit: These photos came from a thread on Pirate. There was really no other info to be had about them.

AaronJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

yes! Thats more like it! I would still prefer the gauges to be behind the steering wheel though.

And I like the center console coming down from the dash, its a little harder with manual though....

I like the green one except that the radio and CB are now even further away!!!! and no glove box! I want to add storage.

Unread 10-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have you removed all the factory dash to see what is behind there yet? There are some structural supports that will probably prevent the relocation of the radio and a/c heater controls.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
AaronJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I like the green one a lot but it could use some work.

My first thought is to ditch the top row of switches and put the radio there (it's useless on the other side unless you always have a passenger.

I'd also make it a single row of 5 or 6 gauges in the middle area instead of a double row. Then put the HVAC controls where the second row of gauges was. Ideally this dash would have the ducting for heat and a/c and have at least 2 more vents like the one you can see on the passenger side.

I'd look at putting the a/c evaporator/blower over on the passenger side, behind where the radio/cb is in that pic.

Just a few thoughts, likely to change if I ever started tackling something like this.
AaronJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you've got factory A/C it would be a nightmare to incorporate anywhere but the lumped on location under the dash. Moving the heater controls a little is probably doable without new cables, but if it needs to go very far, it'll be problematic.

Also, on a YJ you're going to have to purchase a completely different set of guages right out of the gate if you change their placement. If I remember correctly, they are on two cluster boards (although, they may all be on one board, but it seems like there were two). If you're wanting to reuse your existing guages for a while, you're pretty much out of luck.

By the way, guages (particularly spedometer guages) are expensive.

(That being said, I'm currently in the process of rounding up all the necessary garb to make a CJish dash for mine.)
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #14
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

scuba mc- I have torn apart YJ dashboards like 86838 times haha. I will probably remove the steel flat support that the speedo/tach radio and heater controls mount to all together and replace with one I design. I am planning on running new cables and everything all together, what I would really like to do is make everything electronically controlled, I think that would be cool, but maybe just cables for now. In my initial design you can see 2 rectangle cutouts in the middle for the radio and heater controls, the top two are heater vents.

Aaron J- I agree, who has that many switches anyway!! haha

GrantYJ- I don't plan on using the factory AC, I might try to source an aftermarket AC set up that I can hide somewhere behind the dash instead, but not really my priority

My YJ has a 4BT cummins, I ditched the factory gauges a long time ago, I still don't have a working speedo, just because I am having a hard time finding an electronic speedo that I can calibrate (I have a super short SYE with the electronic sender) as well as a tach that I can set up with a diesel that match each other, and are not stupidly priced

Basically, what I am going for is tearing everything out, starting from nothing, and making it what I want it, but I also want to create a few configurations, because I hope to develop a kit to sell that is semi-customizable.

I am pretty experienced with laser cutting and robotic bending, none of this will be done by hand besides final assembly, and everything with be held together by a lovely thing called Rivnuts or nutserts, which makes blind threads in sheetmetal possible.

Im not really looking for tips on how to do it, I have my bases covered, I am looking for what other people might want in a dash, and I am quite surprised at some of your responses haha, I just dont understand the desire for a flat CJ style dash haha.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming!

Unread 10-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #15
ads
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Make a kit version of the white one above please
1995 YJ - mostly stock at current. 31" Procomp AT, rebuilt stock springs with added leaf (2.5" lift), OME shocks & stabiliser, 20gal tank mod, air box de-restricted, afe wet filter, soundbar, new distributor/rotor & stuff, TBS.
ads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.