YJ D35 Disc brake Conversion Question - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ D35 Disc brake Conversion Question

HELLA FF75 12V 55W H7 Fog Lamps - SPECIAL OVERSTOCK SALE FBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 10-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #46
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227
Since you like numbers, lets break it down a little further. If 80% of all axles that were repaired were D35's.... you dont see that as an issue? I mean for christ's sake, we have a blown up d35 ring gear as a mint-candy bowl for our customers lol... Guess how many Ford F150, 250 or 350 axles came in blown up? Or toyota? Or Suzuki? GM? I missed SL making this point ^^^ The D35 is about the only rear end we work on at Jeeper's Den & Truck Accessories. The dodge 9 1/4 rear end has issues with the pinion nut comming loose, but thats about the only other problem child we dealt with. Trucks and Jeeps come in at about the same rate, the only ones that need rear end work are the turdy5's.
Point being that they are a more appropriate rear end. Not many guys are repeat customers once they go to something that actually is suited for their application

squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #47
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post

Since you like numbers, lets break it down a little further. If 80% of all axles that were repaired were D35's.... you dont see that as an issue? I mean for christ's sake, we have a blown up d35 ring gear as a mint-candy bowl for our customers lol...

Guess how many Ford F150, 250 or 350 axles came in blown up? Or toyota? Or Suzuki? GM?

I missed SL making this point ^^^

The D35 is about the only rear end we work on at Jeeper's Den & Truck Accessories. The dodge 9 1/4 rear end has issues with the pinion nut comming loose, but thats about the only other problem child we dealt with. Trucks and Jeeps come in at about the same rate, the only ones that need rear end work are the turdy5's.
You don't get very much work then if 80% of your work is 1 d35 a month!!!!
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #48
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I won't argue that an 8.8 or d60s are far more superior axles but, if you don't have the $ or resources to weld or fabricate you can't handle an 8.8 or d60 swap. You can direct bolt in multiple d35s cheaper that doing an 8.8 swap. Sure you can get an 8.8 for $200 now you got to buy spring perches shock mounts gear sets address the parking brake. Some people would argue you don't need it well in some states if your vehicle needs a state inspection it may be required. The same parking brake issue comes up with doing the disk brake upgrade where this thread started there no good solution to the parking brake doing this conversion. If there is, the last time I did the research on this there wasnt an easy solution. The D35s with disk brakes all had the parking brake lever in the center console and the cables were too short to go to our foot pedal brake.
This all comes down to application is it your daily driver? Off-road once a year? Off-road every weekend? If its you daily driver what ate you doing off-road with it when you need in the next day to get to work or school?
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #49
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9oig View Post
You don't get very much work then if 80% of your work is 1 d35 a month!!!!
80% percent of Exploded rear ends/rear end repair were d35... Obviously the overwhelming majority of our time went to other things like installing lifts for people, bed liner applications, adjusting pinion angles, selling/balancing/mounting off road tires, alignments... etc...

And I repeat, most of the exploded d35's that came into the shop were on bone stock daily drivers. Most manual transmissions, but all had the d35. Again, zero offroading, driving a to school, then to work, blown rear end.

Defend it all you would like. Running the d35, especially if you aren't the original owner of a 13+ year old vehicle is playing Russian roulette. Will you be fine going easy on it? MAYBE...
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #50
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227
80% percent of Exploded rear ends/rear end repair were d35... Obviously the overwhelming majority of our time went to other things like installing lifts for people, bed liner applications, adjusting pinion angles, selling/balancing/mounting off road tires, alignments... etc... And I repeat, most of the exploded d35's that came into the shop were on bone stock daily drivers. Most manual transmissions, but all had the d35. Again, zero offroading, driving a to school, then to work, blown rear end. Defend it all you would like. Running the d35, especially if you aren't the original owner of a 13+ year old vehicle is playing Russian roulette. Will you be fine going easy on it? MAYBE...
I got lucky with mine. I got free parts for it and I eliminated two of the weakest links, axles and carrier. I beat on it hard for years, but I was always concerned about it. My yj was as light as I could get it too. I rest easy with an 8.8 with chromos now.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #51
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking of doing the disc brake conversion on my stock axle, I have no welder/welding skills and don't know anyone to weld an 8.8, as I would rather do that but it all comes down to doing what you can do, and paying for what you can pay for, you guys are all arguing about it, its almost like a religion argument in here, is god real or not?
Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #52
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980 View Post
I was thinking of doing the disc brake conversion on my stock axle, I have no welder/welding skills and don't know anyone to weld an 8.8, as I would rather do that but it all comes down to doing what you can do, and paying for what you can pay for, you guys are all arguing about it, its almost like a religion argument in here, is god real or not?
Really there shouldn't be an argument at all. The d35 is terrible and there is NO arguing that FACT. The only "argument/discussion" I see going on is a select few depending their (factually) wrong OPINION.

In essence they're saying "I think toilet paper is stronger than plywood when used in a specific application" when the reality of the situation is, the application is irrelevant and and one is without question stronger than the other.

Disc brake conversions are spendy. I was into my last 8.8 swap no more than $450.00. How much are you "saving" by converting the d35s to disks, only to later have to replace an axle shaft or a pinion or a ring gear or carrier? And when you pay to fix that and it breaks again?

Is peace of mind not worth something?

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #53
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Like I said. Capability and possibility... since you're capable is it possible you'll come here and weld me up an 8.8? Probably not even though it'd be pretty nice
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #54
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wasn't looking to argue a side either Sparrows, I just saw this guy asking for help and everyone turned it into an argument. It's not just about the money but the ability to do it as well.
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #55
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Like I said. Capability and possibility... since you're capable is it possible you'll come here and weld me up an 8.8? Probably not even though it'd be pretty nice
We're pretty far apart.
But I guarantee that if you look, even a little, you can find someone to do the welding for you. Whether it be a local fab shop, spring shop, off road shop, etc. Or you can post an ad on CL; "looking for a welder for 2 hours. Paying $100.00. Need two spring perches and two shock tabs welded to an axle." Or post in your local "wheeling neighborhood" section of JF and find a local guy that wouldn't mind sharing a beer, talking Jeeps, and setting you straight.

None of that would cost you much. Certainly much, much, much less than someone replacing your R&P or burning through used d35s, or a set of new shafts. Right? Right.

Your excuses are pretty weak man. Will meet Way.

Cheers
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #56
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Haha, no excuses. Was just saying... maybe I don't want to meet any of the possible internet weirdos around my area... lol

I plan to buy a welder at some point and teach myself anyways, the jeeps taught me everything else, might as well learn that on it as well.
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #57
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I plan to buy a welder at some point and teach myself anyways, the jeeps taught me everything else, might as well learn that on it as well.
That right there, is the correct attitude!

Cheers
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #58
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

now send me a darn /f12 sticker!
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #59
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
now send me a darn /f12 sticker!
Lol
PM me your address and if you want black or white.

Cheers
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #60
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Lol
PM me your address and if you want black or white.

Cheers
Did you get my PM?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.