YJ D35 Disc brake Conversion Question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ D35 Disc brake Conversion Question

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Reply
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #31
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler
 
Apollo12227's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez View Post
the 8.8 is a piece of junk. don't care if you all out there get mad. if it is such a great rear end, then why don't you see it in the racing sports. JUNK.
Silly John, jeep rear ends aren't used for racing... Anyone who owns a jeep and isn't a street queen would know that. Dana 60's and Sterling Axles aren't used for racing either, so I suppose they are crap too... by your logic at least...

No one claims to be able drag race with them, but they will go farther stock than your cute "super 35" will. With a limited slip up front too! You sir sure run some serious offroading equipment that screams experience. Thank you for blessing us with your knowledge of off roading... I mean racing... I mean off roading... wait, what?

Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #32
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler
 
Apollo12227's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,662
By the way, when I was working at a local jeep shop here in orlando for a few months, we were getting about 2 blown dana 35's a month. The shop says they fix or repair or swap out dozens of d35's a year. In Yj's, TJ's and XJ's...

Why does the shop try everything to convince people to swap in a different axle every time one comes in to be repaired?
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #33
metalhead
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southampton, Pa
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
By the way, when I was working at a local jeep shop here in orlando for a few months, we were getting about 2 blown dana 35's a month. The shop says they fix or repair or swap out dozens of d35's a year. In Yj's, TJ's and XJ's...

Why does the shop try everything to convince people to swap in a different axle every time one comes in to be repaired?
Money that's why. I work at a jeep dealership its all about money.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #34
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler
 
Apollo12227's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
Money that's why. I work at a jeep dealership its all about money.
Money is why the shop recomended they find an entirely different axle on their own? Rather than paying the shop to replace yet another D35 gearset?

I'm not understanding the logic. They are trying to turn customers away from rebuilding the d35 only to run into issues down the road. Not by selling them a new axle, but telling them to go find anything but that D35 to have under their jeep lol.

This isn't a dealership by the way, its a local jeep/truck accessory shop. My point is, busted d35's are a common occurrence, and the stories start with "I was just..." and "all of a sudden..." and always end with a blown rear end. The majority were from street queens with STOCK setups.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #35
metalhead
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southampton, Pa
Posts: 971
I just think people bash the d35 unnecessarily. Look at the grand Cherokee build on xtreme 4x4. They could have ditched the d35 but they kept it even with a 6 inch lift and the bigger tires. If you plan on doing hard core wheelin and giant tires than yes there are better choices for rear axles. For people who do mild wheelin and mild lift and tire combos than there is nothing wrong with a d35. My yj has 165000 miles on it and the d35 rear axle works just fine.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #36
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler
 
Apollo12227's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
I just think people bash the d35 unnecessarily. Look at the grand Cherokee build on xtreme 4x4. They could have ditched the d35 but they kept it even with a 6 inch lift and the bigger tires. If you plan on doing hard core wheelin and giant tires than yes there are better choices for rear axles. For people who do mild wheelin and mild lift and tire combos than there is nothing wrong with a d35. My yj has 165000 miles on it and the d35 rear axle works just fine.
At the same time I have seen dozens of D35's destroy themselvs on STOCK jeeps with STOCK tires and suspension. There was a thread on the YJ section just yesterday that involved a blown up d35 and the guy was just driving to work. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...at-do-1649073/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkaab View Post
So something happened with the rear axle in my Jeep. It was a Dana 35 with 3.07 gears and it broke a bunch of teeth of the ring gear and spider gears and the carrier has a lot of movement. Wasn't even off roading. I accelerated a little harder then normal and there it went..

If you have helped repair as many as I have, on bone stock socker mom jeeps, maybe you would think differently? The shop here in Orlando I worked out replaces about a dozen a year.

Tj's, Yj's, Cherokees, you name it.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #37
calvynandhobbs
Member
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ledyard, Connecticut
Posts: 290
D35s are a gamble. I had a 89 XJ with the non c-clip D35 on 35s and bashed it in the rocks for years without ever having a problem on stock shafts and welded spiders. I had a friend break one driving in town, but he did wheel it also and probably caused the damage then and it just took time for the shaft to break. To each his own. When I started gathering parts for my YJ build and found a Super 35 with 4.88 gears and Detroit along with a D30 set up the same way for cheap so I bought them. Figured on 33s or 35s I would be fine for a while. I never did install them because the project got stalled and then I found a Waggy 44 and 8.8 set up for a YJ with 4.88 gears for almost the same price so I went that route instead.

As always on the web you always hear about the breakage and complaints, but never hear about the guy bragging on how something held up and many D35s do for a long time.
__________________
94 YJ - work in progress
calvynandhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #38
deathtrap
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hemet, CA.
Posts: 329
The op should be able to swap on the zj brakes for under $100. When we did my friends tj we had like 60-75 bucks in it, getting parts from pick a part. It won't break the bank if he wants to up grade to a stronger axle down the road. But I see little if any advantage over a properly operating set of drums.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #39
n9oig
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post

At the same time I have seen dozens of D35's destroy themselvs on STOCK jeeps with STOCK tires and suspension. There was a thread on the YJ section just yesterday that involved a blown up d35 and the guy was just driving to work. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...at-do-1649073/

If you have helped repair as many as I have, on bone stock socker mom jeeps, maybe you would think differently? The shop here in Orlando I worked out replaces about a dozen a year.

Tj's, Yj's, Cherokees, you name it.
Remember your at the bottom of the funnel their not coming to you because theirs nothing wrong with their jeep its because something broke.
Then let's break that down 12 a year 1 month out of how many hundreds of thousands of d35s that are out there.
Sure your only 1 dealer but,if every dealer out there did 12 a year it still only a drop in a rain barrel compared to how many that are out there.
Let's face it most of us that build lift ect our jeeps live their life primarily as mall crawlers (hard realitybut true) some do get off-road once in a while in reality not that often. If your getting that extreme off-road your probably more concerned about destruction of body parts
__________________
88 Jeep Wrangler
95 Jeep Wrangler
SE Wisconsin
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #40
squarelite
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9oig
Remember your at the bottom of the funnel their not coming to you because theirs nothing wrong with their jeep its because something broke. Then let's break that down 12 a year 1 month out of how many hundreds of thousands of d35s that are out there. Sure your only 1 dealer but,if every dealer out there did 12 a year it still only a drop in a rain barrel compared to how many that are out there. Let's face it most of us that build lift ect our jeeps live their life primarily as mall crawlers (hard realitybut true) some do get off-road once in a while in reality not that often. If your getting that extreme off-road your probably more concerned about destruction of body parts
How many d60's or 8.8s are they fixing every month. When you get to hardcore wheeling, body damage is the least of your worries.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #41
n9oig
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 109
That is true if you are building one for that purpose. Keep in mind the D60 was designed for a 8-9000 lb gvw truck with a combination truck and trailer upwards around 15-16000 lb load our Wranglers on a good day is only 4000 lb with less than 2000 tow capacity.
__________________
88 Jeep Wrangler
95 Jeep Wrangler
SE Wisconsin
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #42
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
I just think people bash the d35 unnecessarily. Look at the grand Cherokee build on xtreme 4x4. They could have ditched the d35 but they kept it even with a 6 inch lift and the bigger tires. If you plan on doing hard core wheelin and giant tires than yes there are better choices for rear axles. For people who do mild wheelin and mild lift and tire combos than there is nothing wrong with a d35. My yj has 165000 miles on it and the d35 rear axle works just fine.
Yea they kept it in there, They also LOVE Rustys offroad garbage !
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #43
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez View Post
the 8.8 is a piece of junk. don't care if you all out there get mad. if it is such a great rear end, then why don't you see it in the racing sports. JUNK

you can put a wilwood disc brake kit on your D35. use the kit for the ford small bearing, it uses the same bolt pattern for the housing end. this disc offset is also the same. the kit # is 140-7143 . same kit I have installed on my 89. I'll try and snap a picture on how I attaced the e-brake to the kit.
Hmmm Funny There are ton's of guys Dragracing Mustangs with 8.8's , Guys who build and wheel rangers use 8.8's , All the v8 swap kits for miata's use a 8.8 IRS diff. Tons of guys who compete in stock and modified class rockcrawlers use the 8.8


The 8.8 is a great axle it is stronger the the D44, and your mighty d35 !


Here are some specs !

Axle shaft Strength and output torque rating by Warn and 4 Wheeler

The axle shaft strength tested by Warn Ind:
F8.8= 6,500 (lb. ft.)
D44= 4,600-5,000 (lb. ft.)
D35C= 4,000-4,300 (lb. ft.)


COT: Continuous output torque rating
MOT: Maximum output torque rating

(Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler, page 60.)
Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500




Now on to the Pics

D35 on Left 8.8 on Right






It's time to crawl out from behind your keyboard and wheel your Jeep you'll learn how ****ty the D35 really is !
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #44
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler
 
Apollo12227's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9oig View Post
Then let's break that down 12 a year 1 month out of how many hundreds of thousands of d35s that are out there.
Sure your only 1 dealer but,if every dealer out there did 12 a year it still only a drop in a rain barrel compared to how many that are out there.
Since you like numbers, lets break it down a little further. If 80% of all axles that were repaired were D35's.... you dont see that as an issue? I mean for christ's sake, we have a blown up d35 ring gear as a mint-candy bowl for our customers lol...

Guess how many Ford F150, 250 or 350 axles came in blown up? Or toyota? Or Suzuki? GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelite View Post
How many d60's or 8.8s are they fixing every month. When you get to hardcore wheeling, body damage is the least of your worries.
I missed SL making this point ^^^

The D35 is about the only rear end we work on at Jeeper's Den & Truck Accessories. The dodge 9 1/4 rear end has issues with the pinion nut comming loose, but thats about the only other problem child we dealt with. Trucks and Jeeps come in at about the same rate, the only ones that need rear end work are the turdy5's.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #45
squarelite
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9oig
That is true if you are building one for that purpose. Keep in mind the D60 was designed for a 8-9000 lb gvw truck with a combination truck and trailer upwards around 15-16000 lb load our Wranglers on a good day is only 4000 lb with less than 2000 tow capacity.
And the rear axle is still underrated for a stock jeep
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.