YJ D35 Disc brake Conversion Question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ D35 Disc brake Conversion Question

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Agreed, but you need to be able to weld or have a friend who can weld. There's a ton of info here in the forum on doing the 8.8 swap.
Agreed. It can be a simple weekend project IF you have all of your ducks in a row.

If you're just simply replacing your D35 with an 8.8 with a 3.5" lift or less, then you don't have much to worry about. But, for those of us who are performing an 8.8 swap, and who are performing a lift as well might want to plan on a SYE conversion as well. I am currently in the process of gathering the parts for a SOA, 8.8 SOA kit from M.O.R.E. as well as the hydraulic and parking brake line kits, H&T SYE for a NP242, and an anti-wrap bar....and that's just for the rear axle. The front axle will take some careful planning as well, such as keeping the caster correct while performing a cross-over steering upgrade to reduce the drag link angle to reduce or prevent bump-steer. Not to mention getting longer bump stops and hydraulic brake lines, and swaybar link quick disconnects to take advantage of the additional flex that you will gain from a lift.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/

Last edited by remmons; 09-26-2013 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Typing issues.
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #17
Robob69
JEEPSR made to be Dirty!!

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would so love a 8.8 in my YJ BUT!! Money.... and the fact the I can not figure out what angles and how to weld the perches and crap like that on... I WISH!!!
Robob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robob69
I would so love a 8.8 in my YJ BUT!! Money.... and the fact the I can not figure out what angles and how to weld the perches and crap like that on... I WISH!!!
The money is one thing, but the rest is a great learning experience. Sometimes you just need to dive in and so it.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robob69 View Post
You can pick up an average 8.8 for around two bills, maybe even less if you're lucky. I'm sure that there is someone from the forum who lives near you who can weld. If you're simply replacing your D35, then I would keep the pinion angle the same as the D35.

Unread 10-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

We all know axle swaps can start out being $200, and then turn into a rebuild of the whole Jeep... My two cents is that if you just wanna do the disc brake swap, it is a worthwhile project.

I myself did not, I rebuilt the whole driveline instead, including a rear axle swap. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I converted mine. then I needed to upgrade my brake booster. My master cylinder and my proportioning valve. But those will work with 8.8. So... That will be going in first of the week.
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #22
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
We all know axle swaps can start out being $200, and then turn into a rebuild of the whole Jeep... My two cents is that if you just wanna do the disc brake swap, it is a worthwhile project.

I myself did not, I rebuilt the whole driveline instead, including a rear axle swap. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done
+1

Unread 10-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
metalhead
2000 WJ 

My thing is my rear drum brakes will need replacing so why not upgrade to discs. I only plan on a 2 inch lift down the road and minor offroading. The d35 will be plenty strong for what I do so no need to go to an 8.8. Plus if I was going to upgrade the rear axle I would go with something from jeep like a d44. I hate fords so why put a ford rear axle on a jeep.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #24
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the 8.8 is a piece of junk. don't care if you all out there get mad.

you can put a wilwood disc brake kit on your D35. use the kit for the ford small bearing, it uses the same bolt pattern for the housing end. this disc offset is also the same. the kit # is 140-7143 . same kit I have installed on my 89
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the 8.8 is a piece of junk. don't care if you all out there get mad. if it is such a great rear end, then why don't you see it in the racing sports. JUNK

you can put a wilwood disc brake kit on your D35. use the kit for the ford small bearing, it uses the same bolt pattern for the housing end. this disc offset is also the same. the kit # is 140-7143 . same kit I have installed on my 89. I'll try and snap a picture on how I attaced the e-brake to the kit.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #26
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez
the 8.8 is a piece of junk. don't care if you all out there get mad. if it is such a great rear end, then why don't you see it in the racing sports. JUNK you can put a wilwood disc brake kit on your D35. use the kit for the ford small bearing, it uses the same bolt pattern for the housing end. this disc offset is also the same. the kit # is 140-7143 . same kit I have installed on my 89. I'll try and snap a picture on how I attaced the e-brake to the kit.
Because an aluminum 9" can be made stronger and lighter, for 3x the money.

Is the 8.8 the greatest rear end ever, no. It is however a very strong and economical swap into a wrangler with very little modification. If I were to build a full on race car, I wouldn't use one because I would get something specific to my application. It is used in some race cars, but it is heavily used and known in the jeep world because of the easy swap.
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #27
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think someone's mad because he polished a piece of ****.
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #28
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
I think someone's mad because he polished a piece of ****.
Quoted for truth.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #29
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

600 plus dollars on a brake kit for a d35. I got free chromos and a new Detroit for my d35 when I had it. The only reason it had those parts is because I got them for free. You can find a used 8.8 with disc brakes, a LSD, and your gear ratio in it and do the swap for about that. You'd have disc brakes, way more strength, and your pride back.
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #30
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Basically, any one can choose to do something that best benefits them and their end result, whether by upgrading the current axle or by swapping it out for a tried and true replacement. Yes, it too has to do with your budget, and true, this swap may be only a couple hundred bucks in the beginning, and it could turn out that it can cost you a couple grand in the end, but it's all how we choose to approach it. I chose a Ford 8.8 because the benefits of it outweighed the limited practicality of the D35. Of course I don't have it installed yet (only because I am still rounding up the necessary brake parts), but in the end, my solution can and may differ from that of anothers solution. But, if I knew that I didn't need the higher gear ration, or the LSD, or the added beef of the axle shaft, or the ability to limp off the trail with a broken axle shaft because it has disc brakes to keep the shaft from coming out, then I would have stayed with the D35 and performed the necessary mods to make it more reliable.

To basically put it simple, to each their own.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.