YJ D35 Disc brake Conversion Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ D35 Disc brake Conversion Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
Robob69

1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ D35 Disc brake Conversion Question

I know this has probably been asked a gagillion times but I could not find the information to answer my question..

I have 1 D35 in my YJ.. I want Disc Brakes on the rear.. Can I take the brakes from a XJ or other GC to retro on my D35?

If so what will fit or is it worth it?
Complications of such a retro?

Thanks

Robob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

About 15 seconds of searching on the forums resulted in numerous results.

try " yj disk break conversion " in the search bar.
Eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8...the best disc brake conversion for your Jeep, and the bonus is a much stronger rear axle
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Ford 8.8...the best disc brake conversion for your Jeep, and the bonus is a much stronger rear axle
This!... don't throw money in to a Dana 35. It's in the bible, Exodus I believe. Thou shalt not build a dana 35.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robob69 View Post
I know this has probably been asked a gagillion times but I could not find the information to answer my question..

I have 1 D35 in my YJ.. I want Disc Brakes on the rear.. Can I take the brakes from a XJ or other GC to retro on my D35?

If so what will fit or is it worth it?
Complications of such a retro?

Thanks
Hey Bud,
I think that the ZJ Grand Cherokee ran the Dana 35 and had the 5on4.5 wheel pattern that you want. I have not done the swap, but from what I understand it is a bolt-on. What's nice is while it doesn't make the axle semi- or full-floating, if you break an axle shaft on the rear end your wheel will stay on. Hopefully at least long enough to get off the trail. I was planning on doing the same thing before I did my axle swap.

Rear discs are nice, my rig has bigger rear brakes than front ones currently. The brake pedal went from a "whoa" pedal to a "stop" pedal

You will need to research the lines, but I would suspect that the ZJ axle has soft lines from the calipers, then connects to hard lines that connect to a tee. I would imagine that you could just connect the Wrangler tee to the ZJ lines, if the fittings turn.

It is a noob question, but my old lady let me get lucky last night so I'm in a generous mood. Great day ain't it?
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would go straight for an 8.8. The d35 is not worth doing that type of upgrade to.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93-98 zj stuff should work. (I did it on a tj) And as a added bonus when the d35 grenades the calipers will help hold the wheels on.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Of all the disk brake conversions I've read no one had a good solution for the parking brake. That's the major reason I didn't do the convertion. Since I have a 5 speed that's a must
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

for the money you spend getting all the necessary parts for a disc swap, you should be able get yourself an 8.8 and have a better setup all-around
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
calvynandhobbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you can get the parts cheap it is pretty much a bolt on except for the parking brake. I don't think it's worth the price of those kits though.

I picked up a 95 ZJ front and rear axle from one that blew the transmission for $125. I stripped the disc brake stuff off the rear and pulled the axleshafts out of the front since it was ABS and had 297 joints.
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
metalhead
2000 WJ 

I want to convert my yj to rear disc brakes. I think its more work than I can handle to install a ford 8.8 rear. Besides I didn't buy a jeep to throw ford parts on it. There is a web site that has instructions on how to do the conversion using parts from a zj. Hope someone on here has a link to it because I can't find it. Its called stu's something.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
X2. The 8.8 is THE only way to go, not only for the disc brakes, but also for the strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
This!... don't throw money in to a Dana 35. It's in the bible, Exodus I believe. Thou shalt not build a dana 35.
X2. I totally agree. Don't throw money into junk, it will still only be junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
Hey Bud,
I think that the ZJ Grand Cherokee ran the Dana 35 and had the 5on4.5 wheel pattern that you want. I have not done the swap, but from what I understand it is a bolt-on. What's nice is while it doesn't make the axle semi- or full-floating, if you break an axle shaft on the rear end your wheel will stay on. Hopefully at least long enough to get off the trail. I was planning on doing the same thing before I did my axle swap.

Rear discs are nice, my rig has bigger rear brakes than front ones currently. The brake pedal went from a "whoa" pedal to a "stop" pedal

You will need to resarch the lines, but I would suspect that the ZJ axle has soft lines from the calipers, then connects to hard lines that connect to a tee. I would imagine that you could just connect the Wrangler tee to the ZJ lines, if the fittings turn.

It is a noob question, but my old lady let me get lucky last night so I'm in a generous mood. Great day ain't it?
True. Eveything from a 93-98 GC will transfer right over, except for the parking brake lines, except....look at the post below the next quote;

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9oig View Post
Of all the disk brake conversions I've read no one had a good solution for the parking brake. That's the major reason I didn't do the convertion. Since I have a 5 speed that's a must
M.O.R.E. sells a parking brake conversion for the 8.8, and since there have been others who have said that the brake cable mountings seem to be identical, I see no reason why they shouldn't work on a D35 as well. I have compared the brake-ends of the 8.8 and the GC cables, and they were identical in every way that I could see. But, this doesn't mean that I am supporting anyone on keeping their D35, unless they don't plan on wheeling it too hard. In which case, if you can do a rear disc brake conversion on the cheap, then by all means go for it. I almost did until I had realized that I can get a whole 8.8 axle with discs for less ($200.00 pulled and out the door) than what it would have cost me just for a disc brake conversion for a D35.
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
I want to convert my yj to rear disc brakes. I think its more work than I can handle to install a ford 8.8 rear. Besides I didn't buy a jeep to throw ford parts on it. There is a web site that has instructions on how to do the conversion using parts from a zj. Hope someone on here has a link to it because I can't find it. Its called stu's something.
The 8.8 swap is easy. Not much more work than doing the brake conversion. Yeah you bout a jeep, but one with a few little flaws like a retardedly weak rear axle.

Why waste any time and money polishing a turd? Grab an 8.8, take your time cleaning it up and gathering parts, then get it put in over a weekend.

Don't be scared. You can do it.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
The 8.8 swap is easy. snip
Agreed, but you need to be able to weld or have a friend who can weld. There's a ton of info here in the forum on doing the 8.8 swap.
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Agreed, but you need to be able to weld or have a friend who can weld. There's a ton of info here in the forum on doing the 8.8 swap.
Even if you can't find a friend whom can weld, a local shop shouldn't charge much to burn in the perches/mounts.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.