JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   YJ D35 Disc brake Conversion Question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-d35-disc-brake-conversion-question-1614249/)

Robob69 09-23-2013 06:17 AM

YJ D35 Disc brake Conversion Question

I know this has probably been asked a gagillion times but I could not find the information to answer my question..

I have 1 D35 in my YJ.. I want Disc Brakes on the rear.. Can I take the brakes from a XJ or other GC to retro on my D35?

If so what will fit or is it worth it?
Complications of such a retro?

Thanks

Eron 09-23-2013 07:02 AM

About 15 seconds of searching on the forums resulted in numerous results.

try " yj disk break conversion " in the search bar.

StanF 09-23-2013 07:05 AM

Ford 8.8...the best disc brake conversion for your Jeep, and the bonus is a much stronger rear axle :)

ionakana 09-23-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanF (Post 16240593)
Ford 8.8...the best disc brake conversion for your Jeep, and the bonus is a much stronger rear axle :)

This!... don't throw money in to a Dana 35. It's in the bible, Exodus I believe. Thou shalt not build a dana 35.

ldso 09-24-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robob69 (Post 16239857)
I know this has probably been asked a gagillion times but I could not find the information to answer my question..

I have 1 D35 in my YJ.. I want Disc Brakes on the rear.. Can I take the brakes from a XJ or other GC to retro on my D35?

If so what will fit or is it worth it?
Complications of such a retro?

Thanks

Hey Bud,
I think that the ZJ Grand Cherokee ran the Dana 35 and had the 5on4.5 wheel pattern that you want. I have not done the swap, but from what I understand it is a bolt-on. What's nice is while it doesn't make the axle semi- or full-floating, if you break an axle shaft on the rear end your wheel will stay on. Hopefully at least long enough to get off the trail. I was planning on doing the same thing before I did my axle swap.

Rear discs are nice, my rig has bigger rear brakes than front ones currently. The brake pedal went from a "whoa" pedal to a "stop" pedal :)

You will need to research the lines, but I would suspect that the ZJ axle has soft lines from the calipers, then connects to hard lines that connect to a tee. I would imagine that you could just connect the Wrangler tee to the ZJ lines, if the fittings turn.

It is a noob question, but my old lady let me get lucky last night so I'm in a generous mood. Great day ain't it? :)

squarelite 09-24-2013 01:30 PM

I would go straight for an 8.8. The d35 is not worth doing that type of upgrade to.

deathtrap 09-24-2013 10:08 PM

93-98 zj stuff should work. (I did it on a tj) And as a added bonus when the d35 grenades the calipers will help hold the wheels on.:D

n9oig 09-25-2013 01:49 AM

Of all the disk brake conversions I've read no one had a good solution for the parking brake. That's the major reason I didn't do the convertion. Since I have a 5 speed that's a must

SeanB95YJ 09-25-2013 06:02 AM

for the money you spend getting all the necessary parts for a disc swap, you should be able get yourself an 8.8 and have a better setup all-around

calvynandhobbs 09-25-2013 12:05 PM

If you can get the parts cheap it is pretty much a bolt on except for the parking brake. I don't think it's worth the price of those kits though.

I picked up a 95 ZJ front and rear axle from one that blew the transmission for $125. I stripped the disc brake stuff off the rear and pulled the axleshafts out of the front since it was ABS and had 297 joints.

metalhead 09-25-2013 04:21 PM

I want to convert my yj to rear disc brakes. I think its more work than I can handle to install a ford 8.8 rear. Besides I didn't buy a jeep to throw ford parts on it. There is a web site that has instructions on how to do the conversion using parts from a zj. Hope someone on here has a link to it because I can't find it. Its called stu's something.

remmons 09-25-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanF (Post 16240593)

X2. The 8.8 is THE only way to go, not only for the disc brakes, but also for the strength.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionakana (Post 16240697)
This!... don't throw money in to a Dana 35. It's in the bible, Exodus I believe. Thou shalt not build a dana 35.

X2. I totally agree. Don't throw money into junk, it will still only be junk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldso (Post 16281969)
Hey Bud,
I think that the ZJ Grand Cherokee ran the Dana 35 and had the 5on4.5 wheel pattern that you want. I have not done the swap, but from what I understand it is a bolt-on. What's nice is while it doesn't make the axle semi- or full-floating, if you break an axle shaft on the rear end your wheel will stay on. Hopefully at least long enough to get off the trail. I was planning on doing the same thing before I did my axle swap.

Rear discs are nice, my rig has bigger rear brakes than front ones currently. The brake pedal went from a "whoa" pedal to a "stop" pedal :)

You will need to resarch the lines, but I would suspect that the ZJ axle has soft lines from the calipers, then connects to hard lines that connect to a tee. I would imagine that you could just connect the Wrangler tee to the ZJ lines, if the fittings turn.

It is a noob question, but my old lady let me get lucky last night so I'm in a generous mood. Great day ain't it? :)

True. Eveything from a 93-98 GC will transfer right over, except for the parking brake lines, except....look at the post below the next quote;

Quote:

Originally Posted by n9oig (Post 16299417)
Of all the disk brake conversions I've read no one had a good solution for the parking brake. That's the major reason I didn't do the convertion. Since I have a 5 speed that's a must

M.O.R.E. sells a parking brake conversion for the 8.8, and since there have been others who have said that the brake cable mountings seem to be identical, I see no reason why they shouldn't work on a D35 as well. I have compared the brake-ends of the 8.8 and the GC cables, and they were identical in every way that I could see. But, this doesn't mean that I am supporting anyone on keeping their D35, unless they don't plan on wheeling it too hard. In which case, if you can do a rear disc brake conversion on the cheap, then by all means go for it. I almost did until I had realized that I can get a whole 8.8 axle with discs for less ($200.00 pulled and out the door) than what it would have cost me just for a disc brake conversion for a D35.

Sparrows 09-25-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalhead (Post 16315305)
I want to convert my yj to rear disc brakes. I think its more work than I can handle to install a ford 8.8 rear. Besides I didn't buy a jeep to throw ford parts on it. There is a web site that has instructions on how to do the conversion using parts from a zj. Hope someone on here has a link to it because I can't find it. Its called stu's something.

The 8.8 swap is easy. Not much more work than doing the brake conversion. Yeah you bout a jeep, but one with a few little flaws like a retardedly weak rear axle.

Why waste any time and money polishing a turd? Grab an 8.8, take your time cleaning it up and gathering parts, then get it put in over a weekend.

Don't be scared. You can do it.

Cheers

StanF 09-26-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparrows (Post 16316289)
The 8.8 swap is easy. snip

Agreed, but you need to be able to weld or have a friend who can weld. There's a ton of info here in the forum on doing the 8.8 swap.

Sparrows 09-26-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanF (Post 16330193)
Agreed, but you need to be able to weld or have a friend who can weld. There's a ton of info here in the forum on doing the 8.8 swap.

Even if you can't find a friend whom can weld, a local shop shouldn't charge much to burn in the perches/mounts.

Cheers

The time now is 06:48 AM.