yj cold air intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj cold air intake

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
dduyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yj cold air intake

i have an 88 yj with a I6 with the stock carb. i want to replace my air filter with a whole new cold air intake. but i cant seem to find one all i see is 91 and up.
is there a way i can make it? and still pass smog and run good
thanks

dduyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes you can make one, but it wont pass smog. You must replace it with factory every time you smog, then swap it back on after you pass.
sprngrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
dduyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

were wold i start? what would i do? would it be hard to swap it all out everytime, or would it just be the hoses?
dduyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe someone that is carbed will come in and help, but for now I would look into replacing your filter with a K&N. I did that many years ago and even though its not the cone style filter, it work much better than a stock one. I think that adding a new intake tube and cone filter may throw your carb out of wack, but you could easily adjust it to run nice again.
sprngrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.