YJ Coil Conversion??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Coil Conversion???

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-06-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
markburtenshaw

YJ Coil Conversion???

Hey guys, I'm looking at putting a suspension lift on my 94 YJ, this spring, and I was just informed of a bolt on coil conversion kit. I've heard a couple things, that there not as good as they sound. in that some are stiff, and what not. I'm just wondering if anybody has done this conversion, and what they think about it. Or should I just go for the leaf spring raise.

thanks.

markburtenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
CanukYJ

Go leafís. Their cheaper, easier to maintain and fix, more reliable, and far less work to install. Nothing as big as a spring conversion is just Ďbolt oní. They might say it is, but itís more involved than that.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
Dutchboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markburtenshaw
Hey guys, I'm looking at putting a suspension lift on my 94 YJ, this spring, and I was just informed of a bolt on coil conversion kit. I've heard a couple things, that there not as good as they sound. in that some are stiff, and what not. I'm just wondering if anybody has done this conversion, and what they think about it. Or should I just go for the leaf spring raise.

thanks.
I have been looking at the Pro Comp coil conversion and think it is the way to go. Better articulation, ride and approach angles. Have found a lot of write ups on this one that are extremely favorable, haven't found any that aren't. Here is a link to a guys page on installation. http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/reviews/exprocoil99/ I have been in contact with him and he has been running it for 5 years and loves it. I will be installing mine this summer.
Dutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
RabiDaWise

I've been told that the ProComp coil lift won't accept anything other than factory axles. I may be wrong, but that's what I was told.
Redneck Jeep Club Member #18
CSA Jeepers Association

'88 Wrangler Laredo, I6, Auto, 3" Body Lift, 33"x12.50" Destination MTs, Nutter'd w/ HEI, 32/36 Weber, LOTS more to come

"Ran into a chum with a bottle of rum and we wound up drinkin' all nite" Jimmy Buffet
RabiDaWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2004, 06:43 AM   #5
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I wheel with a guy that has the Pro Comp kit. He has broken a
lot of components like control arms and brackets. He felt the
over all quality was pretty poor. Large structural brackets with
poor welds (that eventually failed) was a common problem. The
last I heard he was going to be pulling it off and replacing it with
something else.

Personally, I prefer leafs. Fewer moving parts = reliability.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2004, 07:39 AM   #6
UPnOVER

Buy a TJ it would be way cheaper and it would be correct but the TJ brackets suck also and need re-welded........ The YJ is meant for leaf and should stay that way.. a lot less that will fail....IMO
[COLOR=red]RED JEEP #6[/COLOR]
91' YJ, D30 EZ, F8.8 locked & 410's, BDS4+" lift, 35" BFG's on 15x8 RC, 8,000lb Ramsey, etc. www. rock-nutz.com
UPnOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2004, 08:42 AM   #7
pdw

I saw a YJ with coil conversion yesterday and it didn't look very good. Here are a few problems that I saw with the kit:
1) The upper coil mounting buckets are bolted to the frame.
2) The mounting point for the upper coil mounting buckets did not line up with the lower coil buckets. Causing the springs to be bent instead of being straight. They kinda had a banana shape to them.
3) The steering stabilizer and trac-bar have this big, ugly pyramid shaped bracket to hold them in place.
4) The brake line were too short. Flex the suspension downward more than an inch or two and you'd break them.
5) You have to replace both the front and rear drive shafts if you want 4wd. Otherwise the front DS hits the edge of the transfer case skid.

I always thought that a coil conversion would be a neat mod but, this is NOT a very well thought out design.
pdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
CanukYJ

Alot of those problems sound more like a moron did the install and didn't do all he was supposed to. At any rate it's just not worth the money and time to coil it, stick leaf's, jeep used leaf's for a reason, the only reason coils showed was so they could market to yuppies who don't like the rough ride.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2004, 09:58 AM   #9
93Sahara

I just got done watching a video. with a YJ equipped with an XCL2 coil conversion and that thing didn't flex at all it seemed to just bounce over things. And that is supposed to be the best coil kit, ifyou really want coils just put a coil over kit, there was an article in JP magazine showing a very very nice coil over kit.
04 Pontiac Vibe ---Hers
93Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2004, 11:23 AM   #10
pdw

Are you thinking about the Rubicon Express coil-over conversion article that was in 4WD & SUV? That one looked to be done properly and it may even work decently!
But, if I was that worried about it, I'd buy a TJ!

"Alot of those problems sound more like a moron did the install and didn't do all he was supposed to."

Well, considering the Jeep had a 3" body lift on it also, I'd say there are a few issues with the owner also!
Unread 04-07-2004, 03:53 PM   #11
markburtenshaw

awsome, thanks all, I definetly like the rough ride, although I can't say the same for my whimpy grilfriend, but she'll just have to deal with it...hahaha. I think I'm gonna go leaf's for sure after some further research, now I just need the right kit....any thoughts....procomp, superlift.....????
markburtenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2004, 03:56 PM   #12
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by markburtenshaw
awsome, thanks all, I definetly like the rough ride, although I can't say the same for my whimpy grilfriend, but she'll just have to deal with it...hahaha. I think I'm gonna go leaf's for sure after some further research, now I just need the right kit....any thoughts....procomp, superlift.....????
For me, it's the Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty lift. It's a little bit more expensive, but if you wheel your Jeep regularly, it's worth it! Get the SYE kit and driveshaft while you are at it.
Unread 04-07-2004, 05:33 PM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

We have people in our club who have went to coils. Two of them went with the black diamond kit. It is a weld on kit and is alot more exspensive than the pro comp one. You also can use bigger axles. This kit works well. The other one went with the pro comp bolt on kit. You can not use bigger axles on this kit, wheel travel is marginal at best. I guess you get what you pay for! The one with the pro comp kit pulled it off this winter for a spring over and bigger axles, revolver shackles front and rear. Now he has wheel travel!!!
Unread 04-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #14
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is the black diamond kit
Unread 04-08-2004, 03:47 AM   #15
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

if you want coils on a yj at this point its best to do your research and build your own from scratch. all the kits on the market really compromise design for the bolt-on factor. the procomp kit for example utilizes the factory sring hangers as a link mounting point. the links wind up being way too short. the solid links also wont let the suspension articulate. all you have to do is look at it and you can tell how its going to perform.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.