YJ Clutch Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Clutch Problem

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 06-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Srod2222

YJ Clutch Problem

So I am some what of new member here. Well I've been a member for some time but never post.

I am having an issue with my clutch and any feedback would be appreciated. First here is the low down on the Jeep, 1995, Wrangler 4.0, 170000 miles mostly stock with a small lift.

Here is the issue. About a year ago my clutch would not work, I was able to get it home and when I did I checked the fluid and it was completely dry. I filled it up and pumped the clutch and mulawww I had a clutch again. I figured it would go dry again, but to my dismay it did not and like a said its been almost a year. To this day the fluid is still full. However as I drive for while the clutch become very tight and at some point become undrivable. I pull over turn the truck off and pump the clutch and then it shifts great.

Can the clutch be bled, if you does any one know how? Do I need to replace the clutch master cylinder. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Srod2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srod2222 View Post
So I am some what of new member here. Well I've been a member for some time but never post.

I am having an issue with my clutch and any feedback would be appreciated. First here is the low down on the Jeep, 1995, Wrangler 4.0, 170000 miles mostly stock with a small lift.

Here is the issue. About a year ago my clutch would not work, I was able to get it home and when I did I checked the fluid and it was completely dry. I filled it up and pumped the clutch and mulawww I had a clutch again. I figured it would go dry again, but to my dismay it did not and like a said its been almost a year. To this day the fluid is still full. However as I drive for while the clutch become very tight and at some point become undrivable. I pull over turn the truck off and pump the clutch and then it shifts great.

Can the clutch be bled, if you does any one know how? Do I need to replace the clutch master cylinder. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
It's either the Clutch Master or Slave Cylinder. Common thought is that if you replace one you should just go ahead and replace the other. If you buy the pre-filled kit it will come with both and a new fluid line. No need to bleed that way. It's also really easy to replace. All you really need is a 1/2 socket since both the master and Slave are held on by 2 1/2 inch bolts. Quick and easy job. At 170,000 miles both of them are probably warn out.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Yes, you can bleed what you have. Without special equipment, it is best to have 2 people.

As mentioned above, if you have the external slave, the pre-bled master/slave combo is the best repair for a flakey hyd clutch.
Unread 06-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Srod2222

Thanks

I think I am going to just replace both using the kit. I found it on Quadratec for $200.

Thanks for the feedback, it will go to good use.

S
Srod2222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.