YJ Clutch Adjustment? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Clutch Adjustment?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Clutch Adjustment?

My YJ is getting hard to shift and I think I need to adjust the clutch. First and second gear are becoming hard to go into and reverse is starting to grind if I don't have the pedal just right.

How do you adjust it on a 1990 with a 5 speed/4.2 6 cylinder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

qlfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As far as i know there is no adjustment on the clutch. I would start with checking the fluid for the clutch and also change the fluid in the trans, and see if it gets better. If not post back.
Built not Bought #759
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok; where do I check the fluid for my clutch?

The pedal feels funny; I think I have more travel than I should before the clutch engages.

It is worse on cold mornings.
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

No adjustment on the YJ clutch - but you can bleed it for air
Most of my clutch problems on our two YJs are solved by a few minutes of bleeding
Your 90 should have the internal slave - they are prone to developing air by design, but fresh fluid keeps them going

Master cylinder for the clutch is on the firewall between the brake booster and the fender
Get yourself a 1/4 end wrench, a small crescent, DOT4 brake fluid (for the higher boiling point) and a helper to push the pedal
Check fluid level
Break loose bleeder screw with 1/4" wrench, hold larger fitting with crescent
Push pedal down
Close bleeder screw
Repeat as needed, but dont allow the master cylinder to go dry

After a few hundred miles, do it again and you will notice the difference of the DOT4
HTH

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You will likely find that your fluid is low in your clutch master cylinder reservoir. You could see fluid leaking INSIDE the firewall where the rod comes thru and connects to the clutch pedal up under your dash. Look thru this thread, it will help. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...cement-728960/ If your fluid is low but the firewall is dry, then you may be losing fluid from your internal clutch slave. That's a bigger problem though.
The issue you describe does sound like clutch hydraulics though, rather than a transmission problem per se.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link. I will check my MC when I get out of work and see what the deal is. I have not seen any fluid inside of the firewall; but I haven't looked to be honest. I will check that also.

I saw some scary pictures of the bleeder valve and rust/scale/crap in the other thread. What happens if I break off the bleeder? Can I use a compression fitting to attach another bleeder fitting to the line? Is there another way to do this?

Worse case (which is always the case with my YJ) is the slave is bad. How hard is it to change this? I have never messed around down there and do not want to screw things up.

Thanks again for all fo the info!

Pat
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Folks have used compression connectors etc to rig up a way to bleed their internal slaves. The job to replace it is onerous, you have to pull out the transmission so may as well replace the entire clutch at that point. Internal slaves are notorious for being bad right out of the box, so only go with OEM, even if you have to pay way more and get it from the dealership. It's better than replacing it 3 X in a row in very short order.

Let us know what you come up with.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
StillYDGN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Exactly, I had mine go out three times in the matter of two months after paying a shop700 to replace it in my old 92. So frustrating. Never taking my new 88 to the shop. Ever.

On another note where is this bleeder u speak of? Id like to try it. My pedal usualy hits the floor when i have to shift. It has a b/a 10 with an interanel.
StillYDGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillYDGN View Post
On another note where is this bleeder u speak of? Id like to try it. My pedal usualy hits the floor when i have to shift. It has a b/a 10 with an interanel.
This thread--http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/yj-trans-swap-ba-10-5-ax-15-write-up-312203/

Look at picture #3 in post 2 of this, it shows the bleeder fixture on a BA 10/5, next to the disconnected hydraulic line that would be coming from the clutch master cyl.
If you need to disconnect the line, the fixture on the transmission side is the one that turns, the hex fixture on the end of the line from the master is "fixed" while the one on the tranny side of the connection is the one that turns. This is for the BA.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
StillYDGN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man! Ive actually been reading through that swap thread for awhile. Starting to save to do the swap myself.
StillYDGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looked last night; the MC is empty and I can't take the cap off to add fluid (why would you put a brace rod directly over a MC access lid). I looked for the bleeder but couldn't find it in the dark; looking at the pictures in the other thread I guess it is on the passenger side.

I am going to try adding fluid and see if I can bleed it; I really am not in the mood to pull a tranny this Fall.

Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to address the issue and see where we are.
Unread 10-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlfarm View Post
Looked last night; the MC is empty and I can't take the cap off to add fluid (why would you put a brace rod directly over a MC access lid). I looked for the bleeder but couldn't find it in the dark; looking at the pictures in the other thread I guess it is on the passenger side.

A 9/16 wrench on the 2 front nuts and the rod swings out of the way. The bleeder is under your right foot area on the driver's side, get a flashlight and you will see it. The hyd line goes into a rubber stopper in the bell housing, and the bleeder comes out of the same stopper. Takes a 1/4 inch wrench.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.