YJ/CJ hardtop question? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ/CJ hardtop question?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
pghohnst
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
I'll just say yes it should work. You will have to move the latches on your tub for the cj doors and you will probably have to un bolt the windshield to get the doors and top in correctly, but the dimensions are the same for a cj and yj. I have a hardtop from a 78 cj on my%2
I've got a CJ hardtop for my '95. I don't "move" the latches when I put it on - I just REmove them. The latch on the door connects with the tub well enough that it works. I've never had to unbolt my windshield either, but I'm guessing I could probably get a better fit if I did.

If you haven't already, you'll want to buy a good set of torx head sockets before you go switching the tops.

pghohnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not to Hijack but a quick question. My YJ has a soft top and I've been looking into getting a hard top...do I have to remove all the soft top belt rails to install the hard top and how does it attach to the windshield?

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #18
pghohnst
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
Not to Hijack but a quick question. My YJ has a soft top and I've been looking into getting a hard top...do I have to remove all the soft top belt rails to install the hard top and how does it attach to the windshield?
Yeah, you'll have to take that stuff off - the hardtop uses a few of the same bolt holes.

My hardtop (again, it's from a CJ) only has one bolt hole along the windshield that lines up, with the existing holes in my YJ, but that does well enough to hold it town at highway speeds. (I've actually driven 10 hours on the highway without bolting it to the windshield without problems, so long as it's bolted town well enough in the back).
pghohnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #19
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
yes, you will have to pull the channels. Depends on what hardtop you get, but typically there will be holes that are for screws for the windshield.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.