YJ/CJ hardtop question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ/CJ hardtop question?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 06-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
abralexander
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ/CJ hardtop question?

I recently obtained an 89 YJ, and it has no top.
I found a post on craigslist, for full metal doors and a hardtop. Both are meant for CJ's. The owner of the post claims that CJ hardtops/metal doors will fit on a YJ, is this true?

I am extremely new to this, thanks for any help

abralexander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

they aren't identical but they do bolt up and may take a bit of adjustment to get to work but if you can get a deal on em I'd take it.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
abralexander
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Its a great deal, the guy has them listed for $300. I'm buying them, if the hardtop doesn't work out I'll sell it.
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abralexander View Post
I recently obtained an 89 YJ, and it has no top.
I found a post on craigslist, for full metal doors and a hardtop. Both are meant for CJ's. The owner of the post claims that CJ hardtops/metal doors will fit on a YJ, is this true?

I am extremely new to this, thanks for any help

I'll just say yes it should work. You will have to move the latches on your tub for the cj doors and you will probably have to un bolt the windshield to get the doors and top in correctly, but the dimensions are the same for a cj and yj. I have a hardtop from a 78 cj on my%2
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
abralexander
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Its a steal, both the doors and the hardtop is being sold for 300. The doors look terrible, but I'm convinced they'll be fixed fine.
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
RoverJeep90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Absolutely go for that deal! I had CJ doors and a top on mine for the longest time. Kept the CJ doors until now, actually. They work well with a few minor modifications, and will work just fine without any. Modifications include dremeling out the area around the bars that go from rollbar to windshield and cutting the rear window frame around the swing out tailgate.
Sony CDX-GT300 | Kicker ZX500.1 | Kicker ZX350.4 | Kicker ZX200.2 | Kicker L5 Solobaric Sub | Kicker 6x9's | Apline 6.5's | Boston 4x6's
Truckstop CB Antenna | Class 3 Hitch
RoverJeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Its a steal, both the doors and the hardtop is being sold for 300. The doors look terrible, but I'm convinced they'll be fixed fine.
no, you really can't go wrong there, seriously good deal. ANd you are right, after seeing so many body repairs on here, I agree, anything is repairable! I am very envious my friend.
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
abralexander
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Thanks so much guys, I think I'll be able to do it just fine. I can't wait until my Jeep's drivable. Next step - obtaining a title for an abandoned vehicle, fun.
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks so much guys, I think I'll be able to do it just fine. I can't wait until my Jeep's drivable. Next step - obtaining a title for an abandoned vehicle, fun.
I guess you already know how difficult that will be. Not sure about DE laws, but I know it's pretty hard in MD. However, if you can't get it titled, you can use it for offroad or use it as an awesome parts vehicle!
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
abralexander
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have to take it to the DMV for an Auto Theft check, thats all I know. Delaware's DMV site is useless. I hope they don't give me too much trouble.
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I have to take it to the DMV for an Auto Theft check, thats all I know. Delaware's DMV site is useless. I hope they don't give me too much trouble.
what if it was stolen and then abandoned? I guess it would help to ask how you got it? You work for a towing company maybe?
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
abralexander
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Jeep was kept in a storage facility, because the original owner of the Jeep got deported.
It sat outside for about 3 years (and it shows!)
The owner of the storage place is a friend of mine, and I traded an Isuzu for the Jeep. The title was lost, and the only information I have on the original owner is his name.

I ran an Autocheck on it, and it does not report the vehicle being stolen.

Last edited by abralexander; 06-21-2010 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: Spelled it wrong.
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
The Jeep was kept in a storage facility, because the original owner of the Jeep got deported.
It sat outside for about 3 years (and it shows!)
The owner of the storage place is a friend of mine, and I traded an Isuzu for the Jeep. The title was lost, and the only information I have on the original owner is his name.

I ran an Autocheck on it, and it does not report the vehicle being stolen.
I'm pretty sure that is ok. The only issue they may have is the storage guy probably should have gotten the title before the trade, but I mean if the PO got deported, it's logical that the vehicle would be used to cover the storage cost. You should be fine. That's how I lost my MGB. It was when someone attempted to steal it, it was sitting in a lot while I was trying to get it tagged again, but the thiefs left it sittin partially on the road, the police could not get in touch with me, so it was impounded. By the time I was informed, the bill was way more than I could afford. I lost it.
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #14
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

that sucks, im in pa and also have a 65 cj5 with an abondoned vehicle title, here you must take the jeep through an "enhanced inspection" and IF it passes, you will be issued an R title. this is a pretty thorough inspection... i need to get to work on the piece.

as far as the cj top and doors, i have a cj top on my yj, and it fits fine, i honestly like the look of it better then the yj top, plus i like the way the liftgate latches better. all that was done to mine, was it was ground out around the roll bar at the windshield. that bars not even there anymore...

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
Dhofstet
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the CJ top and doors should work fine. I have a CJ top on my 95.
Only problem i have is the top where it sits on the windshield does not go down far enough for me to put screws in it. But it works.

I was told CJ7 tops work but CJ5 tops wont. So double check that. Great deal tho! i got my Hard top for 300 with out doors..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.