YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #91
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I didnt have to hard of a time getting it so sit down in there. It wasnt easy but wasnt to bad. The only thing that was weird to me was that when everything was in the tank, I couldn't get it to go all the way flush with top of the tank and ended up having to pull it down with the screws. Other then that, it wasnt to bad.

1bad92yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #92
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Will the yj headlight switch work with the cj illumination lights? I havent had time yet to get a cj one and Im trying things out. My headlights will work but my illumination lights wont. When I turn it on there is a little black box on down the harness that makes a clicking sound.

Last edited by 1bad92yj; 09-06-2009 at 12:39 PM..
Unread 09-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #93
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I got all of my guages and ilumination lights working. All of my indicator lights are working exept e-brake one. I am no working on the fan control but am stumped as what to do next. I cant find a wiring diagram on the pinouts for the connector so I tried to do it a different way and it didnt work but then noticed Im not even getting power to the connector. Isnt the power wire constantly supposed to be live? I have put my multimeter on all of the wires coming off of the connector and nothing has power. It worked before I took all of the old dash out.

Edit: I figured out the above question(bad fuse) but have another...

How have you guys been able to fit your fan switch between the defrost ducting and dash? I went to put mine in the hole from behind and realized the ducting comes to close to put it in.

Last edited by 1bad92yj; 09-11-2009 at 06:35 PM..
Unread 09-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #94
Dislsmoke
1985 CJ7 

All the dashes I do for the conversion I try to retain the factory YJ switches and heater controls. Makes the conversion pretty easy.

Custom Dashs built to your specs dbldfab@gmail.com
website. http://sites.google.com/site/doubledfab/
Dislsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #95
shinerm02
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad92yj View Post
Ok, I got all of my guages and ilumination lights working. All of my indicator lights are working exept e-brake one. I am no working on the fan control but am stumped as what to do next. I cant find a wiring diagram on the pinouts for the connector so I tried to do it a different way and it didnt work but then noticed Im not even getting power to the connector. Isnt the power wire constantly supposed to be live? I have put my multimeter on all of the wires coming off of the connector and nothing has power. It worked before I took all of the old dash out.
My fan switch only has power when the key is on. I took each wire and just by trial and error figured out how to connect for the three speeds. Send me your email and I have pinouts if you want.
shinerm02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #96
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerm02 View Post
My fan switch only has power when the key is on. I took each wire and just by trial and error figured out how to connect for the three speeds. Send me your email and I have pinouts if you want.
I figured out it was just a bad fuse, now im faced with the problem of fitting my fan switch between the defrost ducting and the dash panel.
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #97
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yea thats pretty tight. I guess the cj ductwork fit the yj put swoops around to miss the speedo cable and the heater switch. I ended up using the yj duct and using individual push on connectors on the swtich terminals and was able to bend the upper terminals down at about a 45 degree angle. its a tight fit but it just barely clears. Make sure you leave slack in the wires because theres no way you can reach back there to reconect one if it gets knocked off while putting the dash in. ask me how I know, I had to pull the whole dash out because the high speed wire popped off...
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #98
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
yea thats pretty tight. I guess the cj ductwork fit the yj put swoops around to miss the speedo cable and the heater switch. I ended up using the yj duct and using individual push on connectors on the swtich terminals and was able to bend the upper terminals down at about a 45 degree angle. its a tight fit but it just barely clears. Make sure you leave slack in the wires because theres no way you can reach back there to reconect one if it gets knocked off while putting the dash in. ask me how I know, I had to pull the whole dash out because the high speed wire popped off...
Thanks for the idea. Im going to try that tomorrow and see if I can get it to fit.
Unread 09-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #99
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, Im down to hooking up cables and small little things. Did you cut both cables and then mend them together for the AIR cable? I cant see any other way of "mending" them together.

Unread 09-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #100
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I hooked all of mine straight up, I had to use some home made cable clamps to hold them in place because they werent a direct swap. The only one I had to legthen a bit was the one right about the passengers feet I think that was the temp control.
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #101
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hooked all of mine straight up, I had to use some home made cable clamps to hold them in place because they werent a direct swap. The only one I had to legthen a bit was the one right about the passengers feet I think that was the temp control.
Ok, I didnt spend a whole lotta time working on it yesterday but Im gonna see if I can get it hooked up today. How did you lengthen yours?
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #102
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I cut a piece of one of the old cables and used a small bolt to hold the two eyelets together and the clip is made to hold the cable so I just cut it to the legth I needed and popped it in place. The yj cable is pretty heavy and seems to hold its shape ok but a solid piece of steel wire or something may be better. I only needed like an extra 6 inches or so and it seemed to work fine like this so far. I can get a pic if you need.
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #103
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I cut a piece of one of the old cables and used a small bolt to hold the two eyelets together and the clip is made to hold the cable so I just cut it to the legth I needed and popped it in place. The yj cable is pretty heavy and seems to hold its shape ok but a solid piece of steel wire or something may be better. I only needed like an extra 6 inches or so and it seemed to work fine like this so far. I can get a pic if you need.
Um.. yeah, if you can get a pic of your setup for me, that'd be great. I dont have all my cables yet but I can use the pic for future reference. Thanks for your help, Cody
Unread 10-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #104
racerx8413
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yes, pics of vent control cables please :P
Unread 01-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #105
r7069c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is so freakin bad ***. I'm starting on my dash swap this weekend. My jeep is out of commission until March anyways. I don't care if takes me two months to swap out. I might look for an alternative to the vent but either way it's awesome.
r7069c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.