YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 04-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #76
NVRDUN
1985 CJ7 

that looks great! Thanks for sharing

NVRDUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #77
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't been on here in about a month now as, I've been working out of the country. I'm glad to see all the posts on this thread though. It makes me look back and smile at the work that I've done, especially knowing how it's impacted and inspired others !

Now, I've gotta' catch up on the other threads here!
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #78
shinerm02
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am putting the 91 speed sensor in and have to change the pigtail from the 2 pin to the 3 pin. I have the wiring diagram for my 93, it is as follows...

VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR
Circuit K7 supplies 8 volts from the Powertrain
Control Module (PCM) to the vehicle speed sensor.
The K7 circuit connects to cavity 7 of the PCM.
Circuit G7 from the vehicle speed sensor provides
an input signal to the PCM. The G7 circuit connects
to cavity 47 of the PCM.
The PCM provides a ground for the vehicle speed
sensor signal (circuit G7) through circuit K4. Circuit
K4 connects to cavity 4 of the PCM.
HELPFUL INFORMATION
Circuit G7 splices to the speedometer, and Daytime
Running Lamp module (DRL).
Circuit K7 splices to supply 8 volts to the camshaft
position sensor and crankshaft position sensor.
Circuit K4 splices to supply ground for the signals
from the following

I don't have the diagram for the 91 year. My question is which wire is not used out of the 3 pin connector?
shinerm02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #79
magnumcherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Excellent post, thanks rrisher, very sweet looking YJ!!! I can not wait to do this to mine. Has anyone concidered using the YJ speedo and tach in the CJ dash panel?? I have been concidering welding up the CJ dash to use some of the YJ stuff in it, for a more custom look. Any one else thinking this way?
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #80
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

you could do that, I'd say youre better off buying a blank dash and putting everything where you want it though. The finished product would be better.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #81
Aarzak
1991 YJ Wrangler 

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! nice job
Aarzak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #82
Georgedj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Beautiful job
Unread 07-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #83
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did your gas tank have the rectangle sending unit or the circle one? The cj ones use a circle one but the newer yjs have the rectangle one. How do you put the circle one on the rectangle sending unit tank? Thanks, Cody
1bad92yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #84
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I cut the sending unit off the circle mounting plate and tack welded it an place of the old one. I'd probably just use screws if I had it to do over though. the units themselves are very similar, you may want to find a way to use the float/arm off the yj unit as the cj unit needs to be modded anyway and even then it doesnt fit through the opening very easily.
Unread 08-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #85
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerm02 View Post
I am putting the 91 speed sensor in and have to change the pigtail from the 2 pin to the 3 pin. I have the wiring diagram for my 93, it is as follows...

VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR
Circuit K7 supplies 8 volts from the Powertrain
Control Module (PCM) to the vehicle speed sensor.
The K7 circuit connects to cavity 7 of the PCM.
Circuit G7 from the vehicle speed sensor provides
an input signal to the PCM. The G7 circuit connects
to cavity 47 of the PCM.
The PCM provides a ground for the vehicle speed
sensor signal (circuit G7) through circuit K4. Circuit
K4 connects to cavity 4 of the PCM.
HELPFUL INFORMATION
Circuit G7 splices to the speedometer, and Daytime
Running Lamp module (DRL).
Circuit K7 splices to supply 8 volts to the camshaft
position sensor and crankshaft position sensor.
Circuit K4 splices to supply ground for the signals
from the following

I don't have the diagram for the 91 year. My question is which wire is not used out of the 3 pin connector?
Does anybody know the answer to this question?
Unread 08-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #86
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

you need the ground and the feed to the pcm, the wire you wont use anymore is the one which fed the stock speedo which was orange on my 93
Unread 08-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #87
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, thats what I was thinking. I just wanted to be sure because the colors are different on my 92. Thanks for the help though. Also, I did as you did for the fuel sending unit, cutting it off and mounting it but I was wondering where you grounded yours at? I did mine where the fuel pump was but wasn't for sure if thats ok.
Unread 08-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #88
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Im pretty sure I used the same ground as the fuel pump, I think there was a threaded stud or bolt I used. Either way ground is ground. Did you use the yj float rod or mod the cj one? what a pita to get it through the opening, I think I still need to drop the tank and mess with it as mines a bit off and with no trip odo on the cj cluster a gas gauge that lets you know your empty when your empty is a nice feature.
Unread 08-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #89
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
Im pretty sure I used the same ground as the fuel pump, I think there was a threaded stud or bolt I used. Either way ground is ground. Did you use the yj float rod or mod the cj one? what a pita to get it through the opening, I think I still need to drop the tank and mess with it as mines a bit off and with no trip odo on the cj cluster a gas gauge that lets you know your empty when your empty is a nice feature.
I used the cj one, i couldnt see a way of using the yj one unless I cut them both off and epoxied them together. I wanted something stronger so I just left the cj on there. I used the fuel pump ground inside the tank and just connected the old sending unit wire to the new cj one. Heres a pic of it mounted, I dont have the wiring hooked up in the pic though. Do you think the cj one would work the way I have it here, I bent the cj float so that it goes up and down to the same levels the old float used to go to.

Unread 08-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #90
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, I used the cj one too and bent it up so it would sit right but I tweaked it gettin it through the opening in the tank and did my best to get it right but working blind with my hand in 10 gals of gas was not the best environment. was the white plastic box the pickup sits in in your tank all deformed too? thats why my yj gas gauge wouldnt go below 1/4 tank. I tried to bent it out of the way but it wasnt having it so I trimmed a bit but that may be whats still giving me trouble. I should drop the tank again im just not looking forward to it at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.