YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #61
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, guys!! Yesterday, I just held up the speedo cluster to the YJ dash, and MAN, is it going to be tight fitting it between the dash pad and HVAC controls, less then 1/2" to play with, As for attaching it to the dash plate, I guess I'll be tacking some studs to the back side of the plate, I can't think of any other way that will look right. As for the 4WD light, I'm going to get an electric switch for a TJ 231, swap out the vacuum switch with this, then, get rid of all the vacuum lines to the t-case and actuator motor on the front axle.

93jeepyj, what did you use for the speedo recorder? I'm going with a '91 recorder, as, from what I've heard, has both the cable and electrical output, the cable for the CJ speedo and the electrical one for the engine computer.

Jerry

Last edited by JeepsOLot; 03-17-2009 at 03:34 PM..
JeepsOLot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #62
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think you will still need the vacuum switch to engage the axle disco unless you have a 1 peice axel swapped in. I just wired it off the same light that comes on in the yj dash, You should already have a swich there unless were thinking of two different things.

as for the speed recorder yes I used the 91 parts and it worked out perfect. My swap is 95% done with now I just need to replace the fuel sender... again. I ruined the one I just got today welding it to the bracket the fuel pump mounts to. Its not as simple on a 91 or newer jeep due to the in tank pump but it can be done. Just my dumb *** should have covered the rheostat better when I tacked the sender in place, a hot piece of weld splatter melted just enough of it to make it a $25 paperwieght. Oh well, I woulda been driving it tomarrow if it wasnt for that. but the next one will be here thursday.

Heres a few pics, I still need to fab up a defrost vent piece but other than that its pretty much there.

93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #63
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
I think you will still need the vacuum switch to engage the axle disco unless you have a 1 peice axel swapped in. I just wired it off the same light that comes on in the yj dash, You should already have a swich there unless were thinking of two different things.

as for the speed recorder yes I used the 91 parts and it worked out perfect. My swap is 95% done with now I just need to replace the fuel sender... again. I ruined the one I just got today welding it to the bracket the fuel pump mounts to. Its not as simple on a 91 or newer jeep due to the in tank pump but it can be done. Just my dumb *** should have covered the rheostat better when I tacked the sender in place, a hot piece of weld splatter melted just enough of it to make it a $25 paperwieght. Oh well, I woulda been driving it tomarrow if it wasnt for that. but the next one will be here thursday.

Heres a few pics, I still need to fab up a defrost vent piece but other than that its pretty much there.

Did you use a 91 speedo cable or a cj one?
1bad92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #64
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used a cj speedo cable but I needed a 5/8 to 7/8 adapter bushing on one end of it so the best thing to do might be to get a universal cable that has 5/8 nuts on both ends. I got the adapter from a guy on here really easy though I guess older xjs had them from the factory. I actually had to buy another cable since the first one I bought was only 59 inches, musta been for a cj5 i guess, I bought it last summer though so I couldnt return it. The one I got today was still only 62 inches but that 3 inches made all the difference
Unread 03-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #65
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

^^^

Looking good.!
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #66
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Im just finshing up odd and ends now. I need to make a cover for the driver side windshield wiper access hole as the stock cj one is too small for that side and make something for the defrost too. Im still trying to neaten up the wiring harness too, I tried to push it above the radio so it wouldnt be hanging down but it very tight back there im sure you know. Its getting there though.
Unread 03-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #67
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing and used about 100+ wire ties... lol
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #68
GRUNT
1993 YJ Wrangler 

RRisher - Thank you for your write up. Looks great!

Thanks to everyone else. I will be completing mine in May. I will not be using a CJ but a custom my Fab buddy is making. I will post a write up then.

Again, great jobs guys. Thanks
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #69
shinerm02
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just thinking out loud....could you swap in a CJ heater and have the cables all work with no mods necessary? I know most people are looking to upgrade away from the CJ heater... but are they really that bad?

rrisher do you have a picture of where your speedo cable attached to the transfer case? I have a 93 and I think I have to change that part so the speedo cable can attach?
shinerm02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #70
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

you should be able to use the cj heater ducting, although im not sure the heater core/blower motor would be the same. I doubt it would be much work to modify them a little to work though. That would make the cables attach with no mods. you will have to change the speed sender on your t case. I posted some pics in jeepsOlot's cj yj front clip swap thread of the parts you will need. 91 yjs had an adapter that screws onto a regular mechanical speedo sender that gives you both a electric and cable output. you can either find a used one or buy one at autozone for 72 bucks. you will still need the regular mechical sender and now a speedo gear with a long shaft instead of the short shaft that the electric only sender uses. you will also need a 2 pin weatherpak connector to replace the 3 pin one that is there now as the wire that went to the old speedo wont be used anymore. you should be able to get a pigtail at napa but if not I got a new connector from hesco that i crimped on.
Unread 04-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #71
shinerm02
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a link to pictures of my 93 speed sensor. Am I going to use any part of this or is the 91 sensor going to replace all of this?

http://s355.photobucket.com/albums/r...peed%20sensor/
Unread 04-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #72
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

nope, the whole thing gets replaced and you will need a long shaft speedo gear instead of the short shaft one you have now.
Unread 04-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #73
shinerm02
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I added one more pic in the link. Is the short shaft speedo gear green in my 93 pic and the long shaft yellow in the 91 pic? Am I thinking correctly about this?

http://s355.photobucket.com/albums/r...peed%20sensor/

Last edited by shinerm02; 04-03-2009 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: fix link
Unread 04-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #74
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yes you are correct.
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #75
jtpaintball70

Very nice mod... If I wind up getting a YJ, I might have to eventually do this one

NREMT-I/85
89 K1500
jtpaintball70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.