YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 03-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #46
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a coolant temp switch for the cj is that the correct one or did I the remp sending unit ? they listed two different ones.

93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #47
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That's the correct one!
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #48
jstreet
1992 YJ Wrangler 

(I have an 87, I want to do this really bad now

looks awesome
jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #49
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome, thanks I just wanted to make sure I had the right one before a retaped the head and messed it up, Do you happen to remember what size/thread tap you used to retap the hole ?
Unread 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #50
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Actually, No I dont' I just went through my kit sizing it up, it took all of about 5 minutes to do. You. should be ok.

If you don't have a kit take it down to the local HW store and size it ip there
Unread 03-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #51
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok, will do. I'm so close to getting this done i'm just out of parts so I'm waiting for some stuff from quadratec. I'll put up some pics when its finished. Your chrome dash looks mint how bad did they whack you for the plating? I woulda liked that too but I had a chrome overlay on my yj dash that was a gift my wife bought me and it looked good but the sun hit it and got me right in the eyes all the time so I decided to just paint my cj dash body color. I did two stage lacquer in rattle can I got factory color mtached from paintscratch.com I wet sanded it and buffed it out and It looks nice. I like how you did the accents in body color with the glovebox door and steering column trim too. I ended up using some hammered finish paint on mine that I used on my bumpers so it ties it in a bit. I decided to leave the center gauge overlay off too because it think it made it look overdone and I really wasnt happy with the fitment of it. Hopefully my parts get here tomarrow so I can finish it up, although im not really looking forward to dropping the tank to change that sender, maybe ill get that dropped tonight to get that out of the way.
Unread 03-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #52
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The plating shop bent me over for a cool $200.00... Ouch it was bad but, I couldnt complain on how it turned out.

If you look at one of the new ones with Diamond plate, etc. there in the same neighborhood so, I don't feel too bad!
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #53
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yea true enough. Yours looks way nicer then those crappy diamond plate ones anyway, I would immagine none of the gauges of anthing that mount from the front of the dash would sit flush with out grinding the ridges in the diamond plate down.
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #54
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
yea true enough. Yours looks way nicer then those crappy diamond plate ones anyway, I would immagine none of the gauges of anthing that mount from the front of the dash would sit flush with out grinding the ridges in the diamond plate down.
I've always wondered about that and how people deal with it...
maybe a question in the CJ forum.
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #55
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ha I spent 20 mins finding the right tap only to find out it was already the right size which was awesome because that was not looking like a fun spot to be tapping out a hole. My cj temp gauge works now which is good but I had bought a new set of replacement gauges to go in the cj speedo cluster from quadratec, I wonder if it will be the same thing when I get the fuel sender. I guess it would be nice not to have to take the speedo cluster back out now that its all wired up and all the lights are in it but they whacked me almost 70 bucks for those two gauges, I wonder if I can send em back or maybe I should hang onto em for spares.
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #56
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

strange that it fit, but cool~
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #57
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I do have a much newer motor from a 2005 tj but still it was the yj sending unit for sure. kinda wierd the tj didnt use that sensor at all so there was just a boss cast into the head for it but we had to drill a hole in it and tap it ourself to be able to use the yj sender. Definatly glad I didnt have to tap it out though there wasnt much room there with the fuel rail and the fire wall was real close. My luck I woulda snapped the tap of in the head or something too so it made my night when the thing just screwed right in. Alittle teflon tape for good measure screwed it in crimped on my new terminal and I was good to go. Guess i'll start dropping the tank now.. what fun, maybe all fix the rot hole in my frame while I have the tank out of there so I wont have to worry about blowing the thing up when I weld in the patch.
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #58
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a dumb question, how does the speedo cluster attach to the dash? Here's the back of mine:

The voltmeter and oil pressure gauge both have tabs that clamp to the back side of the dash, but, the main speedo cluster doesn't, or, at least this '76 model doesn't. Now, I see the tabs on the outside of it that look like screws go through there, but, how does it attach to the dash, are there captive nuts on the back side of the CJ dash?

One other question, where can you get the bulb sockets for these gauges? Thanks!!

Jerry
Unread 03-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #59
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
I've got a dumb question, how does the speedo cluster attach to the dash? Here's the back of mine:

The voltmeter and oil pressure gauge both have tabs that clamp to the back side of the dash, but, the main speedo cluster doesn't, or, at least this '76 model doesn't. Now, I see the tabs on the outside of it that look like screws go through there, but, how does it attach to the dash, are there captive nuts on the back side of the CJ dash?

One other question, where can you get the bulb sockets for these gauges? Thanks!!

Jerry
There are 4 threaded stubs coming out of the back of the dash and the speedo slips on them and screws to them with nuts.

1bad92yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:38 AM   #60
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bought the bulb sockets at parts stores, they only have one wire on them and they ground through the gauge cluster. The 4wd light and brake warning light use 2 wire buld holders but you should be able to reuse some stock yj ones for those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.