YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #31
JaikYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man that looks really sharp. The tan dashpad really looks good in your jeep. Nice work and thanks for the time to do a wild write up.

Unread 03-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #32
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok so the cj switch has no provision to turn on dome lights? I just wired it so the gauge lights come on with the parking lights for the time being and the dome lights I can just wire to come on when the door is open or put a switch under the dash or something, Im going to have to add a small panel somewhere for the check engine light anyway since I really dont want to drill a hole in my new dash. maybe ill just put it in the plastic steering column trim that way im not really drilling into the dash.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #33
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

hahaha, I just wired my check engine light in the BRAKE light on the CJ cluster. I was originally going to run without it but.....
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #34
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

haha, I wouldnt care but I think the cel has to work to go through emmisions here plus in the 93 it actually can be helpful to get codes so I just put it in the plastic column trim, I just used a pop in red neon bulb from autozone fit pretty well actually. I just finished figuring out all the idiot lights. It took me a while to realize they switch the ground not the hot for the brake warning light, 4wd light, and cel. D'oh. Is there different bulb holders in your cj gauge for the brake light and 4wd light? I dont have the cj harness so I just bought the lamp holders but they ground off gauge housing which is great for everything except those two. I'm getting close to dropping the dash back in now just have to figure out the wiring on fuel gauge and temp gauge and all the electrical is done.
Unread 03-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #35
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
Is there different bulb holders in your cj gauge for the brake light and 4wd light?
Yes, there are two different idiot lights on the CJ cluster.
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #36
zekeman023
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would love to do a swap like that, seems kinda overwhelming for a guy without much electronic skills (myself). Once I get some other things done, like my transmission i'd like to try it. Do you think it might be easier to make a custom dash that used new gages?
zekeman023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #37
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It might be easier that way, from an electrical standpoint anyway, they sell blank cj dashes that bolt right into a yj and then you can put your gauges wherever you want. Theres also a company that sells a flat dash for the yj that has all the cutouts to retain the yj switches and hvac controls and just leaves you to pick how you want your gauges setup, that would save alot of work. It was and still is alot more work then I would of thought but its definatly worth the agrevation.
Unread 03-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #38
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It might be easier that way, from an electrical standpoint anyway, they sell blank cj dashes that bolt right into a yj and then you can put your gauges wherever you want. Theres also a company that sells a flat dash for the yj that has all the cutouts to retain the yj switches and hvac controls and just leaves you to pick how you want your gauges setup, that would save alot of work. It was and still is alot more work then I would of thought but its definatly worth the agrevation.
It seems to me that if you're going to go as far at to re-construct the dash in any way whatsoever. You might as well got for what you want either the full CJ dash if that's what you're looking for.

Either way, its a lot of wiring and work.
Unread 03-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #39
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrisher View Post
It seems to me that if you're going to go as far at to re-construct the dash in any way whatsoever. You might as well got for what you want either the full CJ dash if that's what you're looking for.

Either way, its a lot of wiring and work.
true that. The wiring part of it is pretty involved, more so then I expected, not thats its a problem its just been more time consuming then I would of guessed. I've got all my wiring figured out now its just a matter of cleaning everything up and puting it all together. You're running the stock yj defrost ductwork right ? I bolted my dash in again last night and my blower control switch and the square light nest to it hit the duct pretty good as well as the speedo cable. Did you have to clearance your duct at all ? Looks like thats what im doing today.
Unread 03-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #40
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're running the stock yj defrost ductwork right ? .
Yeah, but I had to modify it a bit at the top where I cut my holes in the dash. A CJ one would have worked too...
Unread 03-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #41
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

wow, I guess there was a reason you connected the two sets of hvac control cables together, I'm trying to use the cj ones and make brackets to hold them but there awful short. I did get the defrost clearanced enough to get everything to fit so it should bolt up now.
Unread 03-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #42
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

where did you find the wiring diagrams? just a chiltons ? I found a great one online for the cj and a few for yjs but nothing for my 93. I'm trying to get the fuel and water temp gauges going and not having too much luck. I tried ohming out the old gauges to find out what pins they went to in the harness but that wasnt really woking out too well.
Unread 03-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #43
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here's where I'm getting my panels:
It's a New Jeep Thing

I have a Tuffy glove box, and it's flat like the CJ dash. I'm going to put the center blank panel with the cutouts for the HVAC controls and the radio. I'll be putting the CJ guages in that. Then, I'll get a panel made for the steering wheel side, including cutouts for the headlight switch on one side, and the hardtop and light switches on the other side. Then, I'll try to find a CJ tach and CJ clock to complete the look. It'll be a hybrid CJ-YJ dash when I'm done with it, I like the YJ heater controls, plus, I like being able to just remove one panel at a time, verses the whole dash. I'll post some pics when I get started on that,

Jerry
Unread 03-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #44
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thats a good idea keeping the yj hvac controls, the cj ones are a bit differnt anyway and the some of stock cj cables are too short to work with the yj heater box, it can be done and I'll find a way to make it all work but it will save you a lot of agrevation to just keep the yj box. I like your idea of using the thress dash pieces like that and it will be interesting to see your project. the whole reason I got started with my swap is because I reaplaced my cowl seal and found out the whole top of my yj dash was rotten big time. I would of tried something like your thinking of doing if mine wasnt trashed already. I'm getting close to completion on mine here just tieing up the loose ends, I think I got a bum set of gauges though, I'm 99% percent sure I have the fuel and temp gauges wired right and there not working at all, I dont have my cj senders yet but they should still work they'd just be off a bit. My tach is seems like its not accurate either, I'm using the factory coil wire maybe I just need to run a fresh one for it.
Unread 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #45
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey on the temp sending unit they list a coolant temp sensor and a coolant temp switch, which one did you replace? It should be the one near the firewall on the back of the head correct?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.