YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #16
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

One of my favorite mods I've seen.......Thanks for taking time to share it!!!

Unread 11-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #17
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work
Unread 11-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #18
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Mods....How about putting this thread in Rusty's FAQ/Write-Ups/Interior sticky? It sounds like several others may be referencing it to do their own swap....I know I'd like to!!!
Unread 11-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #19
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Tis been added.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #20
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Rusty!!! Now I won't have to look at 3000 pages to find it a year from now......
Unread 11-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #21
texashoghunter
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, that is awesome.

Thanks so much for sharing.

I now need to find a dash for my dad's.
texashoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #22
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

Great project, that looks really really good! I guess the monkey fist knot keychain is setup to swing back and nail you in the nuts occasionally to make sure you don't fall asleep behind the wheel?

Wm
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #23
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Minor point but maybe we can clarify operation of the heater control vacuum switch that controls the passenger side cowl vent. I think rrisher has left it permanently connected to vacuum. Upon reviewing this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=499877&page=3

it is not totally clear if applying vacuum to the passenger cowl vent opens it or closes it. Since it seems that it should be open for every mode except Off, for the CJ dash one could leave it open all the time (but is that with or without vacuum?)

Also, to get really tricky you could attach the vacuum switch to a bracket and have a stop on a cable operate it? Or maybe instead of using the vacuum motor, take it out and go all cable like a CJ? Hmmm...
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #24
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Great project, that looks really really good! I guess the monkey fist knot keychain is setup to swing back and nail you in the nuts occasionally to make sure you don't fall asleep behind the wheel?

Wm
Yeah, I made the tag end a bit too long. At least I won't loose my keys'!

Quote:
Minor point but maybe we can clarify operation of the heater control vacuum switch that controls the passenger side cowl vent. I think rrisher has left it permanently connected to vacuum. Upon reviewing this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=499877&page=3

it is not totally clear if applying vacuum to the passenger cowl vent opens it or closes it. Since it seems that it should be open for every mode except Off, for the CJ dash one could leave it open all the time (but is that with or without vacuum?)

Also, to get really tricky you could attach the vacuum switch to a bracket and have a stop on a cable operate it? Or maybe instead of using the vacuum motor, take it out and go all cable like a CJ? Hmmm...
Yes, I left the vacuum connected. I've been expermenting with it and it seems to be working fine. At thie point I haven't had any real complications with vent. It blows hot and when it's off, it's off. so, I'm not worried too much about it.

I don't use the vent option that much as I only have a bikini top...

I suppose you can rig it to an actuator or somthing so when you pull the cable it closes or opens a valve. But, after all the work I did I wasn't worried about it and thought that if it was a problem I'd address it at a later date.
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #25
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job! I've been collecting parts to do this since july. A stock cj fuel sender fits the yj tank ? or did you have to modify it. what about the temp sending unit?
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #26
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
Nice job! I've been collecting parts to do this since july. A stock cj fuel sender fits the yj tank ? or did you have to modify it. what about the temp sending unit?
Both Temp and fuel sending units had to be modified a bit but work without any problems. For the Temp unit it was just re taping the threads and the fuel was just new mounting holes.
Unread 03-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #27
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hey, did you happen to make a note anywhere what color wires out of what harness' went to what gauges? I just started this yesterday and I'm about halfway there, I got the dash mocked up and made adjustments where I had to to make everything fit and pulled it back out today to start wiring. I got the cj blower motor switch working and decided to use the cj washer wiper switch for the wiper on my hard top since my wiper switch is still on the stalk. Next up is the headlights... Thats a lot of wiring just for a few simple functions. Then the gauges, I bought autometer gauges to go in the two holes in the dash and a sun tach to go on the column since my dash didnt have a stock tach.
Unread 03-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #28
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did... However, I do have to say after helping several with some wiring and with the Dash conversion my '87 has some different wire colors... I know strange but, I think that some were changed when jeep made the transition from AMC. Also, I can attribute some to the fading and errosion of the actual wire since it's old.

I think that the easiest way for the gauges is to just trace them from the guage thriough the wire paper into the harness to get your wire and then confirm it with your multimeeter. That's what I did and it was really easy!

since you're using Autometer gauges and not the CJ gauge cluster, etc., it's straight across...

If you really need some help, let me konw what wires you're needing help with and I can look through the Jeep Bible that I've been keeping!
Unread 03-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #29
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yea I had a feeling the wiring changed from year to year. I spent most of last nite tracing out the idiot lights but still havent come across the brake light or the 4wd light. I'm still using the fuel and temp gauges in the cj speedo (hey there stewart warner) and only replaced the voltage and oil pressure gauges with autometer. I found a great cj diagram but nothing as good or for a 93 yj. The other thing is I didnt have a cj dash harness to start with so I've been making it by hand as I go. I'm also currious if you got the dash light dimmer to work, I hooked up the cj light switch last night and got all the exterior lights working correctly but there are only two pins left on the cj switch and theres four wires going to the yj dimmer, some of them may be duplicates and not needed but I guess thatl have to wait, I released the magic smoke from the dimmer portion of the cj switch messing with it last night...decided it was time for bed after that happened
Unread 03-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #30
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The CJ dimmer is a simple reostat. All you need to do is make sure you dash lights are spliced into one wire going to the CJ switch. I think that you're YJ switch has two leads. one for dash and one dor dome.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.