Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ Chat and non tech

2M views 33K replies 480 participants last post by  fishadventure 
#1 ·
But tonite as I rode home with the top off I really loved my rust-bucket YJ! At damn near 300k she still runs strong and I won't give it up for the world. She just isn't so pretty right now so some cosmetic work is coming, but after a long time w/o it and just military vechiles it was twice as sweet.

Just figured y'all would get it more so than the rest of the site. ;)

John

#1,024 ·
Sparrows said:
Is there a way to just adjust the sweep of the needle? Or does the whole gauge need replacing? Maybe the sending unit?

It's poly. Just checked. While digging around I found this

A little google-fu later and I answered my own question. Found a link to a JF thread (gasp! that never happens :rolleyes: lol) and it said that is the part number for the 19 gallon tank.

Glad I figured that out. I think I need to mount my gas can and fill it up so I can run this tank totally dry (at least till it starts cutting out) just so I know how low my needle currently goes.

I love JF :kiss:

Cheers
Well now that you know it's the big tank it's not for sure your gauge is bad....run her dry and see what happens.

When you fill it....it stays above full longer than normal....they didn't adjust the gauge for the larger tank.

I have larger tank too and it's above full when I fill it....not that much though

#1,025 ·
Well now that you know it's the big tank it's not for sure your gauge is bad....run her dry and see what happens.

When you fill it....it stays above full longer than normal....they didn't adjust the gauge for the larger tank.
I was always worried before that I would run out of gas. When it's full the needle camps above full for a really long time, and then after about 5/8 of the tank is gone, the needle bounces all over the place...it will often jump from the 3/8 mark, to almost full, to the empty line depending on which direction I'm turning.

I've owned a couple older cars (70 Nova, 74 Camaro) that had the older style fuel sending/feeler units that get pretty inaccurate when the fuel sloshes around, but on my YJ I though it only had the 15 gallon tank so it added to the confusion.

The more you know!...:2thumbsup:

Is there a way to adjust the fuel gauge? Or is it something that must be replaced?

Cheers:cheers:

#1,026 ·
Sparrows said:
I was always worried before that I would run out of gas. When it's full the needle camps above full for a really long time, and then after about 5/8 of the tank is gone, the needle bounces all over the place...it will often jump from the 3/8 mark, to almost full, to the empty line depending on which direction I'm turning.

I've owned a couple older cars (70 Nova, 74 Camaro) that had the older style fuel sending/feeler units that get pretty inaccurate when the fuel sloshes around, but on my YJ I though it only had the 15 gallon tank so it added to the confusion.

The more you know!...:2thumbsup:

Is there a way to adjust the fuel gauge? Or is it something that must be replaced?

Cheers:cheers:
I haven't found away to adjust the gauge. By what your saying with the gauge bouncing all over it probably is the gauge....I haven't heard issues like that coming from sending unit. However...if you have a bad wire between the gauge and SU, it can cause that for sure. The ohm reading will change if the wire is bad which will make it jump around. Checking the wire should be on the list of things to do.

#1,027 ·
I haven't found away to adjust the gauge. By what your saying with the gauge bouncing all over it probably is the gauge....I haven't heard issues like that coming from sending unit. However...if you have a bad wire between the gauge and SU, it can cause that for sure. The ohm reading will change if the wire is bad which will make it jump around. Checking the wire should be on the list of things to do.
Gotcha.
Added to the list. I'll dig into that this coming week. I've got a pretty good sized "general maintenance/troubleshooting" list to try and tackle this week before all my goodies start showing up in the mail and the real work begins. :thumbsup:

Cheers

#1,028 ·
NEW YJ owner

So my fiancee's father just picked up a 1995 4.0L with 30K original miles on it. Every since I was 17 I've always wanted this JEEP. I love the way the rectangular headlights look and the interior is so simply/basic. Currently I am going through the FAQ thread. I hope to be a long time member here.. :tea:

#1,029 ·
So my fiancee's father just picked up a 1995 4.0L with 30K original miles on it. Every since I was 17 I've always wanted this JEEP. I love the way the rectangular headlights look and the interior is so simply/basic. Currently I am going through the FAQ thread. I hope to be a long time member here.. :tea:
Welcome! :wave:
Sounds like a nice Jeep. Share some pics with us :D
Lot's to learn around here. And the YJ section is the best! :2thumbsup:

Cheers

#1,035 ·
But we have the external slave. The 95 also had a dual diaphragm brake booster and larger ujoints in the front axle shafts.
Some '94s lucked out on the larger ujoints, right? Did the TJ revert back to an internal slave? I bought one in the fall of '96, but never touched the transmission.

#1,039 ·
well atleast his steering seems to be in good shape :rofl: