YJ Chat and non tech - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Chat and non tech

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #751
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hello from Kansas, stopped at the family farm enroute to MO.

Somewhat eventful trip, chumps who put on my new truck tires didn't torque them down properly and I neglected to double check them. Long story short, I caught it before I lost all my lugs on the driver rear tire (sheared off 5 of the 8). Luckily I only ruined the wheel and the sheared studs...could have been a lot worse.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #752
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm

Somewhat eventful trip, chumps who put on my new truck tires didn't torque them down properly and I neglected to double check them. Long story short, I caught it before I lost all my lugs on the driver rear tire (sheared off 5 of the 8). Luckily I only ruined the wheel and the sheared studs...could have been a lot worse.
Dang !! Close one. Had a tire come off my bronco one time. Scary it was a steal tire too. Luckily I was only goin 20 mph
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #753
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
The future of Canman
My jeep is moving forward, thank you.
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #754
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Dang !! Close one. Had a tire come off my bronco one time. Scary it was a steal tire too. Luckily I was only goin 20 mph
Yeah it was. We were going 75 grossed out @26,500lbs. Would have ended badly

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #755
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
My jeep is moving forward, thank you.
Ahh yes, but with that you'll have some nice bds rear springs on CL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #756
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
Ahh yes, but with that you'll have some nice bds rear springs on CL.
Nope. BDS are going to the front and the rubicon express springs are already spoken for. Everything gets recycled in our club
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #757
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post

I woulda started googling for a lawyer at that point... sometimes thats what it takes to make idiots learn.
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #758
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
I woulda started googling for a lawyer at that point... sometimes thats what it takes to make idiots learn.
We thought about that but decided a simple phone call tomorrow to let them know what happened should be effective enough. Not looking for compensation, would just like them to make sure the kid who worked on it is more careful in the future.

Unread 02-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #759
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

We thought about that but decided a simple phone call tomorrow to let them know what happened should be effective enough. Not looking for compensation, would just like them to make sure the kid who worked on it is more careful in the future.
Wow, your a lot nicer than I would have been. They'd be replacing my spindle, studs, rim and giving me a refund for the original labor.

Probably sent from under my broken heep
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #760
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
Wow, your a lot nicer than I would have been. They'd be replacing my spindle, studs, rim and giving me a refund for the original labor.

Probably sent from under my broken heep
I'm just looking at what I want the end result to be. The studs and wheel are small change compared to the car load of kids that someday could lose a wheel. I think the owner will be more apt to directly address the issue if I'm not rolling in trying to get money, justified or not.

Unread 02-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #761
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm

I'm just looking at what I want the end result to be. The studs and wheel are small change compared to the car load of kids that someday could lose a wheel. I think the owner will be more apt to directly address the issue if I'm not rolling in trying to get money, justified or not.
Agreed. When people go for money business owners are more mad at that most times. Causing them to sweep the problems under the rug or just to fire the person, who doesn't learn. I'm surprised it happened though. My best bud works for a major tire dealer and the training he went through was very meticulous and carefully watched. A "wheel off" is a massive ordeal and it ends up being very costly for the company.
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #762
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr

Agreed. When people go for money business owners are more mad at that most times. Causing them to sweep the problems under the rug or just to fire the person, who doesn't learn. I'm surprised it happened though. My best bud works for a major tire dealer and the training he went through was very meticulous and carefully watched. A "wheel off" is a massive ordeal and it ends up being very costly for the company.
It happens more than you'd want to think though. I work at a peterbilt dealer and some of the techs are the just about the laziest people. Where the term cuttin corners is their middle name....
I've had a few come up and say "why are you wasting time torqueing the wheels? Just hit em with the gun till it stops spinning!" I laugh and keep on torqueing. It shouldn't be tolerated but lucky for the public any kind of "taking wheels off" is "below their pay grade" if you ask them.
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #763
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Of course there are lazy people and there always will be. It sucks that people have to worry about it but that's why I send anyone I can to my buddy. I trust him with my Jeep and my life.

I think their tightening policy is star pattern with the impact, circle with the impact and then repeat with the torque wrench. Not entirely sure though.
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #764
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Of course there are lazy people and there always will be. It sucks that people have to worry about it but that's why I send anyone I can to my buddy. I trust him with my Jeep and my life.

I think their tightening policy is star pattern with the impact, circle with the impact and then repeat with the torque wrench. Not entirely sure though.
I saw these "Torque-stick" sockets at a local wrench night my buddy throws each week; I'm surprised more places don't use them, liability= passed to the tools

http://www.torqstik.com/
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #765
b_a_mech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Happened to me in my 1973 FJ40 a few years back but I wasnt so lucky.... 70 mph down the highway...sheared all 6 lugs, threw us into the air as the tire went under the fender and then slamed us down on the drum!
Oh that sucked big time....only thing good that came out of that is the shop that did it fixed everthing without question
BUILT NOT BOUGHT #602 / ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM #40 / USN HULL #196
b_a_mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.