YJ Chat and non tech - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Chat and non tech

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #61
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How do you know they are using cinder blocks? Maybe they are using concrete.

Unread 07-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #62
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Concrete blocks and cinder blocks look the exact same from 5 feet away.... I have a whole pile of concrete blocks in my garage, i happily trust them with my life (when used properly!!)
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #63
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

But there is a point to the OP. Plenty of people do not realize the difference when they see others do this even with concrete.

I'll mention another point from another automotive forum: A guy put his car up on 4 jack stands to work on the brakes. Now jack stands are pretty good, but they don't have nearly the lateral motion resistance that tires on the ground do, and, sure enough a bit of a heavy push tipped the stands over. Fortunately he was not under the car, but he learned a lesson.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #64
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was not trying to get into the semantics of cinder / concrete block, I was trying to make people aware of the danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprngrider View Post
How do you know they are using cinder blocks? Maybe they are using concrete.
Then they should not say they are using cinder blocks. Do a search for "cinder block" in JF and you'll see how many people use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Concrete blocks and cinder blocks look the exact same from 5 feet away.... I have a whole pile of concrete blocks in my garage, i happily trust them with my life (when used properly!!)
Good for you. I won't trust anything with my life. I'd rather be too safe then dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
But there is a point to the OP. Plenty of people do not realize the difference when they see others do this even with concrete.
My point exactly. Hard to make that mistake with a good solid railway tie. Please don't go into the semantics of rot or whatever.
safety-1.jpg   safety-2.jpg  
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #65
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, we have all seen cinder/concrete blocks used incorrectly. Same goes for railroad ties, hell jacks in general.

I agree there is no such thing as too safe, but if you don't trust ANYTHING with your life i guess you never leave your house. As with everything else in life, a little common sense goes a long way.

I'm not disagreeing with the OP's post. Cinder blocks are weak and can crumble; that can't be argued. My point is use the items (cinder blocks, railroad ties, jack stands, jacks) with some common sense and you should be just fine.

In the picture above with the blocks resting on their sides: not correct and dangerous.
Solution: turn the blocks on edge so the openings are up and down, they way they were designed to be used. Put a 2x10 or something else on top to help dissipate the pressure across the entire block.

Using the railroad tie to extend the jack throw: not an intelligent choice
Solution: block up underneath the jack and use the jack for its intended throw. Block it in such a manner that it won't roll off your blocking. Or get a bigger jack! Personally, I prefer a 20 ton piston jack. Its slow as molasses but very simple to block up and maintain some safety.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #66
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I trust my life with this.

Unread 07-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #67
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

USMCBuckWild, I couldn't agree with you more.

Regarding
Quote:
I agree there is no such thing as too safe, but if you don't trust ANYTHING with your life i guess you never leave your house. As with everything else in life, a little common sense goes a long way.
True. My words may have been a little too strong in the context. A little common sense goes a long way.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #68
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I like this Yj chat...

So I have been having intermentant no start issues on and off for a while now.
I think I found it.
A connector from the harness to the gas tank.
I replaced this and bingo, it runs and every time(OH I sure hope so anyhow)
What a total pain to track down!!!
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #69
moonpie312
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh I love that picture of the red Jeep and the block standing up on the jack. That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen, all it would take is for you to bump the jack or the Jeep and there it goes. Even if you set the parking brake that is still very dangerous, especially because when putting tires on its very hard not to end up moving the Jeep while doing so.
Something most people don't realize also is when jacking up with anything, whether its a floor jack or a bottle jack or an air jack, the vehicle should be in neutral and the parking brake off. Your better off relying on the jeep to roll with the upward motion of the jack then to rely on a floor jack to roll even on a nice concrete floor. As for bottle jacks and air jacks, they wont move, so when you jack it up with a brake set it would pull the Jeep off the jack. However after its in the air, I then always set the brake.
moonpie312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #70
moonpie312
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Granted, I'm sure we have all done some crazy things.
But hey, at least I put a chain around it so there was no way it could slide off the air jack. I was doing my exhaust all from scratch.
One other thing I always do is shake the crap out of it before I get under it, I would rather my Jeep get hurt than me get hurt.

moonpie312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #71
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
I like this Yj chat...

So I have been having intermentant no start issues on and off for a while now.
I think I found it.
A connector from the harness to the gas tank.
I replaced this and bingo, it runs and every time(OH I sure hope so anyhow)
What a total pain to track down!!!
Were wires crossing and/or grounding out?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #72
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ugh... me old and tired.

Just replaced the internal slave and master. Had the trans and t-case out in 3 hrs in the driveway by myself Fri night (had a tow truck home) parts came in Sat AM, Drove it out Sat at midnight. Got up Sun and did all the finishing touches (exhaust back in, bleeding, etc.) Had to drill out both exhaust studs... PITA. Just went 15 mi drive, absolutely zero leaks rattles or anything... clutch feel is a dream. You can modulate the thing like Neil Diamond.

Me old and friggin tired... lost count of how many trannies I've pulled in the last 20 yrs... at least now I have a drive instead of gravel. Ever try to put a SM465 in on gravel? Yep I done that in my old 3/4 ton.

Unread 07-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #73
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Guys.....some of those pics are hair raising!!!.. Dudes, a good pair of 2ton Jack stands is 20 bucks from Harbor Freight when they are on sale.....All the money we put into our jeeps...would be a big shame if anyone got hurt and couldn't use them....
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #74
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

I got a set of old hand crank camper jacks they work great.
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #75
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Ugh... me old and tired.

Just replaced the internal slave and master. Had the trans and t-case out in 3 hrs in the driveway by myself Fri night (had a tow truck home) parts came in Sat AM, Drove it out Sat at midnight. Got up Sun and did all the finishing touches (exhaust back in, bleeding, etc.) Had to drill out both exhaust studs... PITA. Just went 15 mi drive, absolutely zero leaks rattles or anything... clutch feel is a dream. You can modulate the thing like Neil Diamond.

Me old and friggin tired... lost count of how many trannies I've pulled in the last 20 yrs... at least now I have a drive instead of gravel. Ever try to put a SM465 in on gravel? Yep I done that in my old 3/4 ton.

Pete you know the old saying, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So you must be plenty strong!

Glad you got everything taken care of!

Speaking of things to get done, I need to put a trailer harness on my jeep. I'm going to pull a trailer up to TN.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.