Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ Chat and non tech

2M views 33K replies 480 participants last post by  fishadventure 
#1 ·
But tonite as I rode home with the top off I really loved my rust-bucket YJ! At damn near 300k she still runs strong and I won't give it up for the world. She just isn't so pretty right now so some cosmetic work is coming, but after a long time w/o it and just military vechiles it was twice as sweet.

Just figured y'all would get it more so than the rest of the site. ;)

John

#81 ·
Pete you know the old saying, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So you must be plenty strong!

Glad you got everything taken care of!

Speaking of things to get done, I need to put a trailer harness on my jeep. I'm going to pull a trailer up to TN.
Sounds like you are leaving GA for TN.:nono:

:D

#82 ·
What the s*** is that? What a terrible way to lift a vehicle.
It's better than I've seen other people do. And what exactly is wrong with it? jack stands in the back and the air jack in the front? The air jack is often more stable than jack stands. Yes I know the pads are a little unnerving to look at but I preloaded the chain around the whole setup so as it went up it tightened. It is completely impossible for it to slide off in any way.
And like I said, I always shake the vehicle very hard before I even think about getting underneath it to prove its safe. So maybe lighten up a little bit eh? Its not like I just jacked it up and slid under and trusted it to my life? I have lifted many vehicles this way and never had a problem. If I had a better spot to lift than the springs I would have. Besides it is higher in the air than it looks, there was no other way to get it that high, I had to lift the back with the air jack, put the stands under and then move it to the front. You don't have to be an *******.

#91 ·
Those shackles are pretty scary. If this was a who has the biggest shackle contest, he would definately be the winner!
You know not everybody can afford those fancy shackles, these came from O'reilly's for 10 bucks and in the first hole where they currently are, it only gave a 1 inch lift. I haven't had the time to take them back off and cut off the excess and weld a brace in the middle. Biggest shackle contest winner I would take the award if it was in the bottom hole. People like you and the others make a person not want to own a Jeep.

#92 ·
You know not everybody can afford those fancy shackles, these came from O'reilly's for 10 bucks and in the first hole where they currently are, it only gave a 1 inch lift. I haven't had the time to take them back off and cut off the excess and weld a brace in the middle. Biggest shackle contest winner I would take the award if it was in the bottom hole. People like you and the others make a person not want to own a Jeep.
Lighten up a bit mate, it's only fun!

As for the stupid stuff being done with jacks. I once had a guy try to lift my ZJ with a Hi-Lift by the rear fender in the desert on a slight incline with the side he was trying to lift facing down hill. Needless to say that guy never came near me with his stupid suggestions any more!

I like the beaver shackles idea if you're on a tight budget. Just the same (in theory) as a ZJ budget boost, only goofier looking! :D

#93 ·
lighten up a bit mate, it's only fun!

As for the stupid stuff being done with jacks. I once had a guy try to lift my zj with a hi-lift by the rear fender in the desert on a slight incline with the side he was trying to lift facing down hill. Needless to say that guy never came near me with his stupid suggestions any more!

I like the beaver shackles idea if you're on a tight budget. Just the same (in theory) as a zj budget boost, only goofier looking! :d
Hahaha! Oh man you just made my day. Beaver Shackles.. I can't stop laughing now :rofl::rofl:

#94 ·
Was towing my Jeep the other day from the bank-home. Have sense fixed the issue, a wire to the fuel pump. A bear to diagnose.
But anyhow...
I broke my tow strap. It was old(ish) and most likely cheap. Lucky me, it broke turning the corner to my street.
I got a new one and it has stretch to it. 20% on a 30 foot rope.
I can not tow with this...Right?
Or can I?

I also got a higher rated strap than I just broke. Got one rated 17,500 pounds. This higher rating caused it to be thicker. From 2 to 3 inches.
Last year i lost my tree strap(well, forgot it and left it on a tree) and did same, got one longer and thicker.
Now all these straps will not fit in my recovery bag.
Went to the 4x4 store and saw one but it was $60. For a carry bag.
Went to Big Lots and got an athletic gear bag for cheap($12).
Sweet:

#95 ·
So...
Non tech talk....

My oba.
A belt driven Saneen custom modded for oba. An Extreme air.
Besides the point.
It leaks. A 2 1/2 gallon tank, 2 locker connects, a tire fillup connect and a gauge with the connecting parts all soft copper 3/8 inch tubing.
I will fill it up to 105 psi and it looses about 15 psi in 1/2 hour and will recycle the compressor without me using any air.
Can/t find the leak. I sprayed the connectors with soapy water and got no bubbles.

My thinking- the check valve is leaking. it is mounted close to the compressor and gets real hot. The check valve HAS to be as close to the compressor as it can...Right?

Do I go spending time and money on a 15psi leak in 1/2 hour?
I've found that I have the same problem. Did you get yours fixed?

#97 ·
No...
I think it is leaking back into the compressor. The check valve is not sealing. It is real close to the compressor and got fried, they can get hot.
Not sure what I'm going to do about it. I think it needs a new check valve.
I bet your right, and to answer your previous question, no, it doesn't necessarily have to be as close as possible to it. You do want it in the line before anything else T's off the line, but I would move it a little away from it to help with the heat.

#98 ·
I've got my check valve 12 feet away from the compressor and I'm still having leaking problems. I just can't pinpoint where though. Perhaps a little soapy water will tell.

I know I have a leak before the check valve but it shouldn't matter because my pressure valve is connected to the tank at the inlet hose. Jeepster: which check valve did you go with? Perhaps it's faulty like mine

#99 ·
brittney spears song going thru my head!

OOPS I DID IT AGAIN! Proud owner of 1990 hardtop full door jeep wrangler. Last yj I had took a year (2010-2011) to put back on the road. Lot of first time experiences doing it. Learned to weld on it. Learned to paint on it. Etc... in the end bought for 1800 and sold for 3000. Still occasionally see the jeep on the road, so I guess repairs worked. It was for my kid to try. Turns out she liked the jeep just not the stick so i sold it and found an 02 auto tj. Now I get to start on this one. Driver floor board is gone, fenders need replaced, all 4 corners of frame will need some attention, couple holes in the body and the windshield frame need repair or replaced. This time only out 1600!

Signed....hooked on jeeps! Well actually hooked on repairing jeeps.