YJ Chat and non tech - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Chat and non tech

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #31
jeepnrover
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Harrisonburg, Virginia
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think there should be an entire section like the XJ guys have without being wrangler general discussion.
This!!!

__________________
[]lllllll[] 1995 Sahara edition
Previous Jeep: 1991 Islander edition
ARB bull bar, Ground Pounder Fab rear bumper, OME kit with MORE 3/8" booms, 31" BFG A/T's, etc.
jeepnrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #32
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEvans View Post
I'm also a tad surprised that 6-7 stickies are considered "too much." i've been to other forums (covering a varied range of subjects) in which it's not uncommon to see 14-20 stickied posts.

Additionally, the YJOTM threads are also not "technically" technical threads, either.
They're not technical at all but I begged and pleaded that they be stickied at one point so that that wouldn't be lost in the abyss of Yj tech and then we would have only one contestant instead of six.

Even more of a reason to have a Yj non tech section. Should we all send Keith a PM? I'm pretty sure it would get me banned for the idea. How about a thread in the announcements and comments section?

EDIT: thread started

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/an.../#post13843251
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #33
Poke
runtime error = 0
 
Poke's Avatar
2015 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Maybe I just need to adapt to it, but I currently do not see any feasible nor practical reasoning for forcing me to click more times just to find a thread that I and the rest of the YJ community like having quick access to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Actually I think the thread "What did you do to your YJ today?" should be a sticky because technically it's a technical thread, but just a place for everyone to put their daily tweaks or changes they've done, rather than making a new thread for everything they've did (which is fine, as long as it's a writeup, how-to, or something along those lines, where the process of carrying out the modification might not be clear to people). It's nice having that thread at the top of the forum because it's in an easy to access and convenient place so we don't have to go dig for it.

Threads like "You know you own a YJ when..." or "What makes your YJ unique?" aren't really technical threads, but they do have to deal with the YJ model specifically, so I think it's great that we can have a simple thread such as this for quick access to them. Keeps the top of the board clean and organized and hides the chatter, but still lets us access those threads easily.
The threads you reference are general chat threads. They are not technical. Any questions asked there that are technical would get more attention as their own posts. In my opinion the way you look at the forum is why we are having trouble with so much non tech. YJ tech is not an area to socialize and discuss that someone did today. You want to socialize. I don't mean this as anything negative against you only as a good example of why its hard to regulate. You either draw a line in that sand or you let things run amuck. There is nothing wrong with structure.

and stickies are the devil. Keep as few as possible.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #34
grandboost98
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Durham/East Haven, CT
Posts: 3,052
I agree with Xpress that the "what you did..." thread should be a sticky since its nothing but little modifications done to our yjs on a daily basis not worthy of starting its own thread to clutter up and drop more important threads down. While I agree with poke that the "You know you own a..." is definitely a chit chat type of thread and doesnt need to be a sticky.

Why are stickys the devil? Dont like to be organized and convenient? I can see too much of a good thing can be bad but I dont feel that it was over board, maybe just drop a couple of them. Im sure Ill get used to the new setup, but for now it seems like more clicking and searching.
__________________
89 Jeep Wrangler - 3.5" HD BDS lift and M.O.R.E. HD 5/8" booms on 33s
99 Jeep Cherokee - 2 door, 5" lift on 33" super swampers
72 Chevy Nova - build in progress
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #35
mrmark
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,952
All that happened is 2 threads became one in this new thread. What did it really change? I bet the 2 that were put in the first post on this thread will be ignored as this thread just takes them over.
__________________
Wave as you pass me :D

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #36
Xpress
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box, California
Posts: 5,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
The threads you reference are general chat threads. They are not technical. Any questions asked there that are technical would get more attention as their own posts. In my opinion the way you look at the forum is why we are having trouble with so much non tech.
Well yes, "You know you own a YJ when..." and "What makes your YJ unique?" are general chit chat threads, but the "What did you do to your YJ today?" thread is more technical than it is a general chit chat thread. Why let it run amuck down in the non stickied sections of the forum? That's unecessary and it crowds up the forum more because it's a popular forum. Nobody wants that thread being constantly bumped to the top of the non sticky section, because it's going to force threads that need attention down south where they won't get seen. Keeping it sticking is a good idea. The other 2 threads could probably be moved to GD as they are just that, General Discussion threads.

Quote:
.YJ tech is not an area to socialize and discuss that someone did today.
What about all of the build threads then? Perhaps they should be moved to GD too, because 90% of the thread is socialization and discussing what people did to their Jeeps on that particular day.

Or what about threads like the Track Bar delete threads? People talk about what they did that day to improve their suspension all the time, daily.

That is why a thread like "What did you do to your YJ today?" is absolutely perfect to have stickied to the top of this forum in particular because it cuts the crap out of the rest of the forum.
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/another-5-2l-yj-thread-1503048/"]My 5.2L Build thread[/URL]

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #37
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
All that happened is 2 threads became one in this new thread. What did it really change? I bet the 2 that were put in the first post on this thread will be ignored as this thread just takes them over.

I think that's probably true. Need a better solution for those, see below.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Well yes, "You know you own a YJ when..." and "What makes your YJ unique?" are general chit chat threads, but the "What did you do to your YJ today?" thread is more technical than it is a general chit chat thread. Why let it run amuck down in the non stickied sections of the forum? That's unecessary and it crowds up the forum more because it's a popular forum. Nobody wants that thread being constantly bumped to the top of the non sticky section, because it's going to force threads that need attention down south where they won't get seen. Keeping it sticking is a good idea. The other 2 threads could probably be moved to GD as they are just that, General Discussion threads.



What about all of the build threads then? Perhaps they should be moved to GD too, because 90% of the thread is socialization and discussing what people did to their Jeeps on that particular day.

Or what about threads like the Track Bar delete threads? People talk about what they did that day to improve their suspension all the time, daily.

That is why a thread like "What did you do to your YJ today?" is absolutely perfect to have stickied to the top of this forum in particular because it cuts the crap out of the rest of the forum.

The "what did I do today" thread gets a fair amount of posts so it probably should be put back as its own stickie. Everyone seems to like the idea of a Chat thread so that should probably stay as is then maybe one more container added for the other non-tech posts.

The reality is that the definition of "tech" is pretty loose. Essentially anything that requires a tool of any kind or sandpaper is tech.

The problem with stickies in general is if there are too many then they are no longer special or receive any extra attention. Plus as I mentioned earlier the entire front page was taken up by stickies at one point leaving room for only about 3-4 regular threads before having to go to page 2.


A few of the mod threads like seats, junkyard mods and wheels and tires have only had a post or two in a month but they are valuable enough in my opinion to have grouped at the top of the page in the Mod super thread.

Lets get some more feedback over the rest of the day.

Right now I'm thinking this for the stickies, in no particular order

Chat thread
YJ Mods
YJOTM
FAQ
RULES
what I did today

Then maybe one more as a container for the non tech stuff that is YJ specific.


Thoughts.
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #38
Xpress
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box, California
Posts: 5,806
I quite like that layout. Keeps everything organized an well placed.
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/another-5-2l-yj-thread-1503048/"]My 5.2L Build thread[/URL]

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #39
Poke
runtime error = 0
 
Poke's Avatar
2015 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
What about all of the build threads then? Perhaps they should be moved to GD too, because 90% of the thread is socialization and discussing what people did to their Jeeps on that particular day.
I disagree on the build threads but also don't see a reason to debate it.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #40
Poke
runtime error = 0
 
Poke's Avatar
2015 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Right now I'm thinking this for the stickies, in no particular order

Chat thread
YJ Mods
YJOTM
FAQ
RULES
what I did today

Then maybe one more as a container for the non tech stuff that is YJ specific.


Thoughts.
the chat thread covers the non tech stuff. No reason for a 7th sticky.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #41
mrmark
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Chat thread
YJ Mods
YJOTM
FAQ
RULES
what I did today

Then maybe one more as a container for the non tech stuff that is YJ specific.


Thoughts.
I like this,

The chat thread just combines everything else like,

but the "what would it look like on " is one I like.

I think we should make a sticky for "Show us your YJ" so that everyone can put a picture of their ride up when they join or change something drastic to the appearance
__________________
Wave as you pass me :D

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #42
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
I disagree on the build threads but also don't see a reason to debate it.
You're right. The build threads have their own section outside of the Yj realm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I think that's probably true. Need a better solution for those, see below.





The "what did I do today" thread gets a fair amount of posts so it probably should be put back as its own stickie. Everyone seems to like the idea of a Chat thread so that should probably stay as is then maybe one more container added for the other non-tech posts.

The reality is that the definition of "tech" is pretty loose. Essentially anything that requires a tool of any kind or sandpaper is tech.

The problem with stickies in general is if there are too many then they are no longer special or receive any extra attention. Plus as I mentioned earlier the entire front page was taken up by stickies at one point leaving room for only about 3-4 regular threads before having to go to page 2.


A few of the mod threads like seats, junkyard mods and wheels and tires have only had a post or two in a month but they are valuable enough in my opinion to have grouped at the top of the page in the Mod super thread.

Lets get some more feedback over the rest of the day.

Right now I'm thinking this for the stickies, in no particular order

Chat thread
YJ Mods
YJOTM
FAQ
RULES
what I did today

Then maybe one more as a container for the non tech stuff that is YJ specific.


Thoughts.
I don't think the yjotm needs to be stickied per say unless you're going to just add to the current super thread so the current contest phase thread can be bumped around in general population.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #43
Andywear
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,247
Think ima sell the YJ
__________________
Used to have a good sig but Mod threated to ban me...


[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #44
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
Think ima sell the YJ
What made you want to do that?
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #45
TJEvans
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 103
I personally think that the "Wrangler" section in general needs sub-subsections.
If the model main section included CJ, YJ Wrangler, TJ Wrangler, JK Wrangler, then each "wrangler" section could have "technical, and general" rather than one all encompassing "general" for all Wranglers.

The Cherokee and Comanche are in the same section, but the Cherokee has a "non-tech" forum, while the Comanche has only the "tech" forum. Are we saying that no general Comanche posts can be made there, simply becuase they are not related to the tech of the vehicle? There is no place on this site to post any general Comanche threads.

seeing that the all-encompassing "Wrangler" section (YJ tech, TJ tech, JK tech, and general) contains more than twice the threads of the next popular section, it seems obvious to me that reorganization is necessary.
TJEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.