2823Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #23296 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 07:38 AM
fishadventure
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
..... I think we are in for more and more powerful storms in the foreseeable future.
Agreed. There's a lot more going on than global warming- that's just one ingredient in the pot.

We are in a unique place on our centuries. At some point in the past, 'natives' knew there was a hurricane season, but they didn't have forecasting like we do today. Old accounts and folklore reflect terrible storms, but a pretty high survival rate seems to be reflected in all that. Their preparedness was an essential part of life, something they learned to survive in their clime. The storms would come, but no one knew when or if... life went on.

Today, we have pretty good forecasting, but the media reporting of these forecasts often results in scarecasting- over-warning of the storm(s) leaving many people wondering what to do next time (because it feels like the boy that cried "wolf!" Nevertheless, the damages are huge in the wake of these storms. Too many people and even insurance companies accept a level of risk much greater than is wise or necessary even with Miami/Dade building codes in place (which does mitigate a lot of damage.) A concrete-walled house on a 16' berm doesn't seem terrible plan for, is probably pretty inexpensive (comparatively) to insure, and seems to make a lot of sense. Higher requires maybe more wind considerations, but the awesome power and destructive capacity of high water in that wind is pretty much avoided.

Anyway: more storms? Global warming? Here's something seldom addressed in regards to man's input to 'global warming:' floating stufffff at sea. Water absorbs some of the sun's heat- sure. But what about all this value-added shipping which deposit thousands of tons of waste in 'international waters?' Hard objects on the surface (waste) absorb much more heat than reflective water.

I saw a vid once documenting Asian-region cargo ships which receive logs and unfinished lumber from North and South American ports. They saw, prep, and finish the raw logs and dump the waste in the oceans. They arrive at their destination with the value-added product, it's offloaded, and containers of cheap rta finished goods are shipped back to North America. These are offloaded, they go get more raw goods, cycle is repeated. Several years later, a lot of these cheap products are being sent to the landfill- here, where trash is sorta a problem. Just like not adequately addressing codes in a earthquake zone or a hurricane zone; why does this make sense and why do we support this industry?

Shackles and D-rings: different things!
Cranking IS turning over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23297 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 08:51 AM
92WranglerinUT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
Your parents lived just above my old neighborhood in Miami. I was in a government leased apartment behind Courtesy Ford on US 1 at SW 156 St. I have been to Geneva once to look at a motorcycle and ridden by it quite a few times traveling the back roads by motorcycle.

I was in NOLA when Andrew made its second landfall west of there. Mandatory evacuations for non essential USCG. I had to stay. And the wife was in surgical ICU in East NO after having her gall bladder removed at 9 months pregnant. Had Andrew hit where Katrina did it would have done the damage Katrina caused.

I think we are in for more and more powerful storms in the foreseeable future.
I figured you'd know exactly where my prior homes were located, but I'm surprised how close you were to me each time, even though the locations are over 250 miles apart. Here's another coincidence. When shopping for my jeep earlier this year, my father went and looked at a jeep on Merritt Island for us, at some big used jeep dealership place.

C'mon, sing along with me. It's a small world after all.... it's a small world after all.... it's a small world after all.... It's a small small world.
post #23298 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 09:15 AM
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKruzer
The ghost is Alive!
yeah. Still alive. Stuck in windowless rooms at all times. Haha
cKruzer likes this.

post #23299 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 09:42 AM
cKruzer
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
yeah. Still alive. Stuck in windowless rooms at all times. Haha
thats the best kind man. enjoy the moments while you can. you will look back in the future and miss the simplicity. hahahah

1987 YJ - Aka; SpeedBump.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Target: 5.3L; AX15; NP231; D44/D60; 4.88s; 36s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
הָיָה הָיָה הָיָה

YJOTM AUG '17
post #23300 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 02:10 PM
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKruzer
thats the best kind man. enjoy the moments while you can. you will look back in the future and miss the simplicity. hahahah
trying to soak it up as bedtime can side note. Anyone near North Carolina ?

Holy autocorrect

Edit:
Soak it up best I can.
cKruzer likes this.
post #23301 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Hog_Bear
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Anyone near North Carolina ?
I'm outside Raleigh.

I went 2 the woods..2live deliberately..2live deep..and not..Discover that I had not lived-Thoreau
post #23302 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 03:29 PM
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog_Bear
I'm outside Raleigh.
where abouts? Durham? I'm in Jacksonville..the marine base.
post #23303 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 03:45 PM
cKruzer
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
trying to soak it up as bedtime can side note. Anyone near North Carolina ?

I'm WNC. I'll be heading towards Butner possibly soon

1987 YJ - Aka; SpeedBump.
Target: 5.3L; AX15; NP231; D44/D60; 4.88s; 36s

הָיָה הָיָה הָיָה

YJOTM AUG '17
post #23304 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Hog_Bear
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
where abouts? Durham? I'm in Jacksonville..the marine base.
Fuquay Varina area. Some good fishing around the marine base. You ever get a chance to fish the area?

I went 2 the woods..2live deliberately..2live deep..and not..Discover that I had not lived-Thoreau
post #23305 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 03:55 PM
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Fuquay Varina area. Some good fishing around the marine base. You ever get a chance to fish the area?
not really. The girlfriend is always wanting to go. So I may go to Carolina beach one weekend and do a fishing weekend
cKruzer likes this.
post #23306 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 04:22 PM
Hog_Bear
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
not really. The girlfriend is always wanting to go. So I may go to Carolina beach one weekend and do a fishing weekend
Carolina Beach is nice, but you should really look around the beach area just off Camp Lejeune around the New River inlet. Some of the best red drum fishing in the state and it's starting to pick up now. I know people that fish the area quite a bit, and I'm hoping to get that way in a couple of weeks for another trip. I was there a month or so ago with a retired military friend fishing the waters off the boat access area on Cross St. We had a blast. He took me up a creek and we were catching largemouth bass on live shrimp in costal waters; crazy.

Look at http://militaryappreciationday.org/w...-southport-nc/. If you can sign up for it, consider doing so. They rescheduled the event this year to October 21st due to Hurricane Irma. I volunteer each year, it's a great organization and a lot of fun. It's a good opportunity to fish, but it's out of the Cape Fear area (south of Wilmington), but you may be able to find folks already going.

Are you guys ready for Hurricane Maria to come visit?

post #23307 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 05:20 PM
fishadventure
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Harbor Freight tool reviews on YouTube. I hate them, mostly, because they're usually not even up to double-digit IQ standards.

But I have seen some great ones. Maybe you've caught this guy already but this was a new discovery this morning. Hilarious vocabulary modifications throughout and excellent technical commentary imho. Worth a view? Yup! This one's useful
and this ones interesting and hilarious https://youtu.be/3ZfYF9aIO7U. I like this guy!

Shackles and D-rings: different things!
Cranking IS turning over
post #23308 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 05:22 PM
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Carolina Beach is nice, but you should really look around the beach area just off Camp Lejeune around the New River inlet. Some of the best red drum fishing in the state and it's starting to pick up now. I know people that fish the area quite a bit, and I'm hoping to get that way in a couple of weeks for another trip. I was there a month or so ago with a retired military friend fishing the waters off the boat access area on Cross St. We had a blast. He took me up a creek and we were catching largemouth bass on live shrimp in costal waters; crazy. Look at http://militaryappreciationday.org/w...-southport-nc/. If you can sign up for it, consider doing so. They rescheduled the event this year to October 21st due to Hurricane Irma. I volunteer each year, it's a great organization and a lot of fun. It's a good opportunity to fish, but it's out of the Cape Fear area (south of Wilmington), but you may be able to find folks already going. Are you guys ready for Hurricane Maria to come visit?
I'll look into it!
And Maria will be off the coast. Outer banks will get hit worse.
post #23309 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 05:25 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Harbor Freight tool reviews on YouTube. I hate them, mostly, because they're usually not even up to double-digit IQ standards.

But I have seen some great ones. Maybe you've caught this guy already but this was a new discovery this morning. Hilarious vocabulary modifications throughout and excellent technical commentary imho. Worth a view? Yup! This one's useful
If you're a student, buy the snapon NOWZZZZ!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A DISCOUNT!!!! Also, sometimes we order from randomly distributed federal stock, and get snap on tools Although, they'd be better served in an army motor pool instead of my combustion lab.

But if you're not a professsional using this thing every single day, and don't get the huge student discount from Snap On, Ingersall Rand is fantastic, and I think I paid $90 for mine! It's been sitting in the bottom of my tuffy center console ever since.
post #23310 of 23545 Old 09-25-2017, 06:09 PM
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Carolina Beach is nice, but you should really look around the beach area just off Camp Lejeune around the New River inlet. Some of the best red drum fishing in the state and it's starting to pick up now. I know people that fish the area quite a bit, and I'm hoping to get that way in a couple of weeks for another trip. I was there a month or so ago with a retired military friend fishing the waters off the boat access area on Cross St. We had a blast. He took me up a creek and we were catching largemouth bass on live shrimp in costal waters; crazy. Look at http://militaryappreciationday.org/w...-southport-nc/. If you can sign up for it, consider doing so. They rescheduled the event this year to October 21st due to Hurricane Irma. I volunteer each year, it's a great organization and a lot of fun. It's a good opportunity to fish, but it's out of the Cape Fear area (south of Wilmington), but you may be able to find folks already going. Are you guys ready for Hurricane Maria to come visit?
And cross st on base? I love right near a finger off new river. However we have a 13 ft gator and his minions there. Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.