2825Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #23281 of 23548 Old 09-22-2017, 01:08 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
I always wondered if this is what their tire balancing machine wants. I would then assume that they leave it that way so you can adjust it (easier to decrease pressure than increase pressure), but if that were the case then you would think they would mention it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
I think they just don't take into consideration what they are going on. Jeeps don't weigh what my F350 weighs yet the tires could cross over. Who knows, I just know that I have to lower every new set before I leave the shop.
I think it is all about fuel economy, and the foolish idea that it is the most important factor.

Just like the tire industry these days insists on putting a pair of new tires on the rear drive axle. Even though we all know that front tires are going to wear out faster, and if you want to maximize the life of your tires, you put the newest tires on the front. Nascar says the car handles better when the newest tires are on the drive axle, so if you don't do that you must not care about your family safety. It is all about a tidbit of truth and zero common sense.

Bill
Dodge did not build my Jeep.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23282 of 23548 Old 09-22-2017, 02:15 PM
jeepster93

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Was it the Ford Explorers that were running 30ish psi in a 45 pound tire and it would heat explode?
post #23283 of 23548 Old 09-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
I think they just don't take into consideration what they are going on. Jeeps don't weigh what my F350 weighs yet the tires could cross over. Who knows, I just know that I have to lower every new set before I leave the shop.
Nothing like them rolling your jeep out of the bay for you to take it home and you immediately grab your Currie EZ Tire deflator and spend 5 minutes letting out over half the air they just put in. The sideways looks I got was worth it.
shaggyjim and DirtKar like this.

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 AutoLockers F/R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared

post #23284 of 23548 Old 09-23-2017, 08:12 AM
fishadventure
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca
Nothing like them rolling your jeep out of the bay for you to take it home and you immediately grab your Currie EZ Tire deflator and spend 5 minutes letting out over half the air they just put in. The sideways looks I got was worth it.
That's about right!
Thing is, a tire should probably be mounted up to max pressure, set aside, do the other three, then air them down to 'correct,' starting with the first mounted, balance them, install on vehicle.

There's a garage next town over that often overrides the computer specs on their alignment rack... they've found too much tire wear on certain vehicles, so they've compensated for that in their heads, and they adjust those vehicles accordingly with good results. Then explain it to the customer with the little printout.

I don't know if they ask everybody or not, I imagine they don't! but when they do tires for me they ask me what I want for pressures. I never thought about it as weird or anything unusual, but with this discussion I'm thinking that's sorta cool. They also do my state inspections and they know me a little bit so they are well aware I'm not a typical customer... far from normal!
(When I first got the jeep and went for inspection and it failed for frame rust and breaks in multiple places, as I was leaving I asked if they had a morning opening day-after-tomorrow. They said, "what for?" and I said followup inspection. They looked surprised and said "you're gonna try and fix THAT?" Anyway, I made the appointment and with much skepticism, an old screwdriver, and a ball-pein hammer my welds and plates passed. There was much commentary about how neat, clean, and thorough my welds were. They still look my stuff over pretty carefully but I get a lot of respect there. They've been very helpful when I've needed it and I've never seen them price gouge anybody.

Those places are becoming a thing of the past so I guess eventually we'll all be airing down as we leave the chain store tire place...
shaggyjim and Luuca like this.

Shackles and D-rings: different things!
Cranking IS turning over
post #23285 of 23548 Old 09-23-2017, 08:24 AM
fishadventure
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds
Nascar says the car handles better when the newest tires are on the drive axle, so if you don't do that you must not care about your family safety. It is all about a tidbit of truth and zero common sense.
As with many things, some 'facts' are mantras, not truths. Most drive axles these days are on the front anyway.
Mark Martin, Matt Kenneth, for two examples, would probably rather be loose (depending on the track) than get tires and have a push/understeer situation. Worse, however, if you (on a race car) go put stickies on the front, if the back steps out -and it will- the driver can do nothing with it. Which is why you'll often see outside two tire changes, but basically never only one axle. But these are out of the envelope, way in the margin racing situations and I don't think they mean anything on the street.

Shackles and D-rings: different things!
Cranking IS turning over
post #23286 of 23548 Old 09-23-2017, 09:45 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
Was it the Ford Explorers that were running 30ish psi in a 45 pound tire and it would heat explode?

If I remember the end of the investigation correctly and not just the media driven panic at the start of it they found that the Ford assembly was cutting the inside of some of the tires.
I know at the time GM was using the exact same tire on at least the GMC half tons and never had any problems with them. I might try to look up the NTSB report and see for sure.

Jim...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"
post #23287 of 23548 Old 09-23-2017, 11:36 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone got word yet from Chris about his son?

Jim...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"
post #23288 of 23548 Old 09-23-2017, 04:40 PM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Now that we're returning to normal and cleaning up, my attention turns to Puerto Rico. Don't we have one or more members on here in PR?

My next door neighbor is from PR and has tons of family down there. Haven't seen her since the storm to ask if she's heard anything now that some limited comms have opened up. Coast Guard has a Section Office there and I know they are busting butt with rescues, searches, and ferrying supplies in with C-130s from here in the States.
post #23289 of 23548 Old 09-23-2017, 05:02 PM
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Things getting back to normal here in SW Florida also. We've got a few communities (Everglades City and Immokalee) that still have some serious problems with getting people in something habitable but Naples itself is in relatively good shape.... New building codes implemented after Hurricane Wilma are effective

Not the sharpest bulb in the box....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
post #23290 of 23548 Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 PM
92WranglerinUT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear our Florida friends and family are recovering. Puppy, I assume your son fared ok through Maria?

I sure don't miss living in hurricane land, having spent 18 years there and somehow managing to be in the eye of Andrew and Charley. Now I just have to deal with the occasional wildfire and LOTS of snow. Speaking of which, we are getting our first snowfall of the season at our place this evening. Yuck!!
post #23291 of 23548 Old 09-24-2017, 10:37 AM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92WranglerinUT View Post
Glad to hear our Florida friends and family are recovering. Puppy, I assume your son fared ok through Maria?

I sure don't miss living in hurricane land, having spent 18 years there and somehow managing to be in the eye of Andrew and Charley. Now I just have to deal with the occasional wildfire and LOTS of snow. Speaking of which, we are getting our first snowfall of the season at our place this evening. Yuck!!
The eye of Andrew? I worked at Sea Ray for a few years after retiring from the USCG and a guy in our shop was a homeboy from Homestead. Andrew was why he now lived in Merritt Island. He said when the eye passed over them down there everyone went out briefly to look around before hunkering down again for the opposite wind coming. His neighbor across the street had a full size Ford pickup now sitting in Jeff's yard. He called over, "Hey, get your truck out of my yard."

I had to fly into Miami soon after and made subsequent official trips through there in the following years. Devastation was unimaginable for back then. I had lived down in Perrine when running SAR at CG Station Miami Beach. From Kendall down was a mess. When I saw what little was left of Cutler Ridge Mall I was speechless.

The QMC who was my XPO on my 95 foot patrol boat was essential personal at the District 7 office when it hit and his wife and kids were in the house down in the Redlands. Andrew dismantled it room at a time until they were sheltered in the last whole room standing as the storm abated.

An ADVRider friend of mine (I may have said this before) has climatologist friends who told him a few years ago that we are most likely entering a 70 year cycle of weather and climate extremes - hot and cold. The kind of stuff that spawns and feeds extreme storms and other weather events.

If it weren't for the tornado threat all through the Southeast, I would seriously look at bailing out of here after 29 years and moving to NE Alabama or east Tennessee. (State tax advantage for military retirees compared to my home state of GA).

All I can say is keep adequate insurance and all important documents and income tax records (ignore the IRS and keep ALL of them - saved my *** twice) in "go boxes". Withdraw cash and get gas in advance, and hope for another miracle.
post #23292 of 23548 Old 09-24-2017, 12:44 PM
92WranglerinUT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Andrew was an insane experience. At that time, I was 22yo and lived in an apt on miami beach, and my parents lived east of old cutler/redwood on 144th south, about 1/4 mile from water. They convinced me to evacuate to their place. Little did I know I traveled to the north wall of the storm. But it was a concrete block home built onto a 16ft mound, so one of the few homes that could withstand the storm in the neighborhood. The sound of the wind was deafening and the walls were literally shaking, but held up. I remember going outside during eye and thinking our place was an island, with people's furniture floating inland from the east. I also remember it feeling like a war zone afterward, complete with having multiple check points to show id to heavily armed military men. I bailed out of Florida to Utah as soon as I was done with school in 1996. Parents then moved to Winter Park and convinced me to move back to Florida in 2003. Wound up buying a home in a teeny town, Geneva, where Charley went in 2004, and gave our place a brutal beating. Needless to say, I moved back to Utah in 2005 and will never move again!
post #23293 of 23548 Old 09-24-2017, 07:05 PM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your parents lived just above my old neighborhood in Miami. I was in a government leased apartment behind Courtesy Ford on US 1 at SW 156 St. I have been to Geneva once to look at a motorcycle and ridden by it quite a few times traveling the back roads by motorcycle.

I was in NOLA when Andrew made its second landfall west of there. Mandatory evacuations for non essential USCG. I had to stay. And the wife was in surgical ICU in East NO after having her gall bladder removed at 9 months pregnant. Had Andrew hit where Katrina did it would have done the damage Katrina caused.

I think we are in for more and more powerful storms in the foreseeable future.
post #23294 of 23548 Old 09-24-2017, 09:06 PM
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys
Luuca and cKruzer like this.
post #23295 of 23548 Old 09-25-2017, 04:39 AM
cKruzer
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Hey guys

The ghost is Alive!

1987 YJ - Aka; SpeedBump.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Target: 5.3L; AX15; NP231; D44/D60; 4.88s; 36s

הָיָה הָיָה הָיָה

YJOTM AUG '17

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.