YJ Chat and non tech - Page 154 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Chat and non tech

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 06-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #2296
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
The only thing that kept me from the aluminum ones(which is what I was originally after) is that they will not stand up to a decent hit if you ever have to use them. I've seen a couple people on here dent theirs on rocks and trees.

AZ is full of rocks and I wanted mine to last and stay true in the event of collision with rocks.
Ya that's my worry too. We have lots of big rocks here as well. Lot's of sharp lava rock, shale, granite, etc. I guess in my minds eye, if they take most of the damage then they did their job and I can always just order a new one for that side. A lot harder to order a new tub lol.

Dammit and your logic that agrees with my inner logic. I think what I'm wanting something to set it apart from the pack; lots of white jeeps with black armor and body colored armor, not a lot with the more 'ol skool brushed aluminum/diamond plate/etc. I always liked the old CJs with diamond plate armor. That was about your only option back in the day, and I feel like the styling is still good looking. Maybe I could go with the steels and just put 3-4 coats of clear over it. Yeah that's a though...

Same question then haha. Raw metal on my white jeep. Yes or no?

Cheers

Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #2297
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I hate chrome, but raw metal corners would look good. And yes, I would crush some $1.50 PBR 40s

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #2298
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I paint everything because surface rust isn't a good color on anything but a prius
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #2299
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

In the end it's your jeep and you can always change your paint if you don't like the way it looks, but personally I don't like the look of the raw aluminum full corners. Doors and tailgate are a bit more subtle and tasteful cues but the whole side of your jeep... Too shiny for my tastes...I'd go all white. My $.02 any who... Everyone's tastes are different and its all about what you dig.
Some guys like fat chicks, but not my cup-o-tea.

Theres quite a few pics of them in the pic request forum for you took creep on and see whatcha think. I think white is the usual to contrast w the raw Al. So you'll have some similar comparisons.

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #2300
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I paint everything because surface rust isn't a good color on anything but a prius
How does clear coat protect compared to spray paint? Ive never used it.

August YJOTM

Unread 06-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #2301
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Aluminum won't rust tho, just oxidize. Most people just polish em and leave em be. Just Redo it every so often to prevent the oxidizing

My Build Thread
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #2302
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The clear coat protects the paint while the paint protects the metal. It adds some sheen to it in the process but with a high gloss paint it doesn't matter much. I love the imement paint you'll find at an Ag supply store. I don't do tisco because its crap but I'm pretty partial to Ellis because of the mixing options and their black is just beautiful. I've used the white as well and its clean. I was thinking about doing my jeep in old cat yellow but I haven't been thoroughly convinced its the right thing to do yet.
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #2303
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I hate chrome, but raw metal corners would look good. And yes, I would crush some $1.50 PBR 40s
I'll totally fill a cooler full of 40s when I hook up with you in Moab later this year!

Quote:
Sad truth? I've been driving my friends prius the last few days since my Jeep is down and I'm waiting on parts. Even sadder truth? I accidentally Jeep Waved hard at a lifted white YJ yesterday...Man card took a hit on that one. The prius is an abomination and I hate everything about it...Driving it is only slightly better than ruining my shocks until I get my parts in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
In the end it's your jeep and you can always change your paint if you don't like the way it looks, but personally I don't like the look of the raw aluminum full corners. Doors and tailgate are a bit more subtle and tasteful cues but the whole side of your jeep... Too shiny for my tastes...I'd go all white. My $.02 any who... Everyone's tastes are different and its all about what you dig.
Some guys like fat chicks, but not my cup-o-tea.

Theres quite a few pics of them in the pic request forum for you took creep on and see whatcha think. I think white is the usual to contrast w the raw Al. So you'll have some similar comparisons.
Fat chicks=
I framed with a guy that was a chubby chaser. Weirdest shat ever! Gross!

Yeah I'm leaning towards all white. Was just throwing the idea around since it would be different. You know of a thread? I even started one and only got one response from a TJ and in the pics it looks like a pretty cool gun-metal grey. Made a nice contrast that was more subtle than black, but stood out better than all white.

Quote:
How does clear coat protect compared to spray paint? Ive never used it.
Works great. It is paint. Used it as a protectant on tons of commercial grade exterior metal details over the years.

Dammit down to one beer!

Cheers
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #2304
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The clear coat protects the paint while the paint protects the metal. It adds some sheen to it in the process but with a high gloss paint it doesn't matter much. I love the imement paint you'll find at an Ag supply store. I don't do tisco because its crap but I'm pretty partial to Ellis because of the mixing options and their black is just beautiful. I've used the white as well and its clean. I was thinking about doing my jeep in old cat yellow but I haven't been thoroughly convinced its the right thing to do yet.
I say yes to the cAt yellow! It's one badass color, and back when I was flirting with the idea of changing the color of my Jeep with Monsta, I thought about going with their color called "Detention." It's old school, school buss/cAt yellow and it's awesome.

Cheers
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #2305
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That would be awesome man!

Ive never seen a clear on raw metal in person.

August YJOTM

Unread 06-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #2306
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That would be awesome man!

Ive never seen a clear on raw metal in person.
Consider it done! Just give me a heads up when your next trip down is and I'll make it happen! For about $30 I could get the whole city wasted haha! Utah beer sucks....

I did a restaurant here where the facade was all ungalvanized, corrugated tin sheet metal, and we shot it with about 4 coats of semi-gloss clear and it turned out sick. That was 5 years ago and it's held up fine with no warranty or rust issues. It still looks like polished, brushed steel.

Cheers
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #2307
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just searched in the pic request and this is what i got

Not too bad actually...

My Build Thread
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #2308
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Az! That's exactly what I've been looking for. My fenders/sliders will still be black, but that pretty much sums it up. I have time to think on it, but I do think that could look pretty clean. As soon as you posted that I got a response in the PS request thread. Here's what he came up with;

I've also been tossing around the idea of making cargo netting for my sport cage so I had him add that in. What do you guys think?

Cheers
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #2309
b_a_mech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Happy Fathers Day to all you dads out there. Hope your kids take good care of ya today
BUILT NOT BOUGHT #602 / ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM #40 / USN HULL #196
b_a_mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #2310
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Happy Father's Day indeed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.