Yj Carter problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Justincredible
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yj Carter problems

Is there anyone that can tune a Carter carb. locally for me? I've tried and think i made it worse. I'd like to smog it and being here in California Its a real PITA!! It smells like it is running rich and dies sometimes when i come to an abrupt stop. I was told that a fuel injection kit was my only hope and that there are only 2 legal for CA. The price is not appealing, any help would be nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 07:25 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
read every word on this site http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

and here http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html

then get this http://jeepcarterbbdcarb.com/kit.html

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

after your done reading, go buy a weber and throw the carter away.

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers

post #4 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
after your done reading, go buy a weber and throw the carter away.
Not an option in California.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #5 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 10:24 AM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Not an option in California.
they have an emmisions model as well. but ya pretty strict there I hear...

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
post #6 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I almost got failed because the pre heater hose from the manifold to the air cleaner was not hooked up.

But, there is no smog check for cars and trucks crossing the border from Mexico.

If you are planning to keep the jeep, do the Howell and an HEI swap.

Best. Mod. Ever.

post #7 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Justincredible
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jbolty, have you tried the drilling of the tubes trick? if so did it really work?
post #8 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Justincredible
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What is an HEI swap??
post #9 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justincredible View Post
Jbolty, have you tried the drilling of the tubes trick? if so did it really work?
I skipped right to the tubes kit. Made a big difference in how long between cleanings. Went to howell not long after.

HEI is a new distributor with a high energy coil. You can junkyard build it or get a kit for a little over $100.

post #10 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM
ScottsYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justincredible View Post
I did it to my Carter which made it very difficult to start and didn't fix my idle problems. Fixed my Carter by putting in a MC2100, but we do not have the strict emission laws here in Michigan.

Proud YJ owner since 10.25.2008.
Teamrush mod, MC2100 carb, Nuttered, BDS 2" Lift kit, BrandonYJ Shackles 1/2", AA SYE, Tom Woods DS,
31" Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow CAT, Flowmaster Delta 40 Muffler, Monstalined, MSD 6A Ignition
post #11 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Justincredible
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well if i do go with the Howell I will officially have to much invested to ever sell it. I'm sure the motor will be next to go with 160000mi on it. Thats probably another 3-5 grand ahhh J-E-E-P.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I had my 4.2 rebuilt for appx $1200. New pistons, new cam, all new parts and labor. I pulled and replaced the engine and brought it in. Runs way better than new, no leaks, no strange noises.

post #13 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM
lostincanada
1987 YJ Wrangler 

1 is look for a nutterbypass link. they work numbers on the old carter carb. next is look for some info on a ford 300 inline six. i think 86. buy the adapter plate, rotor and cap, and up date the coil. It made a world of difference on my 87 jeep. lugs down to 300 rpm and now red lines to about 4200-4500 rpm. a nite and day difference. if you would like more info i can find some links for ya just PM me. I will get you the info i found!! Better on fuel and way more responsive... or like the other guys say a weber carb... also there is some info about the motormaster 2100 and 2150 carbs out there.. a cheaper alternative to the weber conversion... but try the nutterbypass. is simple and takes about a half hr to do costs about a dollar for some wire!!!!
post #14 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 PM
lostincanada
1987 YJ Wrangler 

second if your motor sounds like its about to drop a timing chain or pinning... do the nutterbypass before you drop the motor. I bought a jeep with a 4.2 and the guy thought the motor was done. I did what i meantioned above and the jeep 4.2 is like a new motor!!!
post #15 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Stauffeneker
2014 JK Wrangler 

x2 on drilling out those tubes. I did .040 even though .038 is recommended. Also, make sure that you set the elect choke before doing any adjustment with the idle screws. I too had a hell of a time with my old Carter. Still have a big black patch on the ground in front of the garage to remind me of how it was running. Bought a rebuilt and it still took some time to get it right. Be patient and be willing to burn a tank or 2 getting it right. Check that the carb is on tight and there are no leaks around the gasket too. Mine runs great now but it needs some tweaking now and then. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.