YJ a/c question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ a/c question

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 08-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
ericg2000
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ a/c question

I have a 1990 yj and the a/c blows cold... Most of the time. It randomly warms up then goes cold again. When it happens it all completely random as far as when it happens and how long it lasts.

I took it to my mechanic and he kept it for a day messing with it and didn't find anything wrong. He put the gauges on it and the freon was slightly low so he topped it off. has anyone ever seen this?

ericg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, my ac does it too. Just give it a few more rpm's to get the Freon flowing.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
ericg2000
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is that what it is? I was kinda thinking that but wasn't sure
Unread 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your expansion valve may be the issue

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
tchoberg
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Check the high - low pressure switch that is usually located on the filter/dryer that is in series with the A/C compressor clutch to prevents the clutch from engaging if the freon pressure is too low or too high. If the pressure is low the system may have a leak and lost some charge. If the pressure is too high the system may be overcharged or there could be blockage in the system, expansion valve, filter/dryer, etc.
Unread 08-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
ericg2000
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When my mechanic put his gauges on it, he read 25 psi on the low side, not sure about high side. After he charged it I think it's up around 35 psi. He said it wasn't really low but he charged it anyways to see what happens. Needless to say it still warms up periodically.

If it was the expansion valve or hi/low switch can those be changed with out releasing freon? I dont know much a out ac systems.
Unread 08-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
tchoberg
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your mechanic is not up to par on A/C systems as he doesn't seem to know what the gauges are telling him if he doesn't know what the high side reading should be. It might be time to get a second opinion from someone that can read the gauges.

Yes, freon will be released when changing either but have the freon evacuated before opening the system to change them. The system should be evacuated (vacuumed out) after you change the parts, to make sure there is no moisture or junk in the system and before adding freon as they can cause problems later. Jeepair is very knowledgeable and their prices are great if you can wait for mail order. (No, I don't work for them)

See another guy that can read the gauges and if might save you a lot of bucks in the long run.

My 2 cents
Unread 08-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
ericg2000
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Tchoberg, you misunderstood me. I forgot or didn't catch what he said the high side was. He called me when I was at work and when I went to get the jeep that evening he was gone for the day.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.