YJ A/C Clutch Not engaging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ A/C Clutch Not engaging

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ A/C Clutch Not engaging

OK guys, I posted about this on the OC roll call thread, but it doesnt see as much traffic as this so I figured that I would put it out there again. I have a factory A/C system that isnt functioning. The blower motor works, and the system blows out sorta cool air, but that is about it. Im not sure if the compressor clutch is getting power, so Im just curious as to how to check the Clutch relay and where it is. This is the wiring diagram that I have as or right now and its great, but it doesnt show exactly where the things are located. And its starting to get hot here in Socal, so my A/C is going to be needed soon!

thebeast64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
lespaul_custom
1993 YJ Wrangler 

when you turn the fan on, are you turning the knob to the right of it also? you could pull the plug on the compresser and test it with a voltmeter for power. if the system is low the hi/low switch wont allow the compresser to cycle at all. and the relay is in the power dist. box under the hood by the battery.
The weird thing is that I thought I hear a minor bang, almost like a fart sound coming out of my Jeep, but I'm not sure what it was. It has never happened before the glue incident.
www.coosa.org white jeep club #1993 looking to buy complete rear seat belts
lespaul_custom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
AZ94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

With the ac on run a jumper from the positive side of the battery to the clutch, and see if it engages... Then check your pressures, your pressure may be too low...
AZ94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, So im going to go to orvacs to get a volt meter and jump cable. Ill get back to you guys very soon!
Unread 04-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok, so there is no power to low pressure switch at all. from looking at this diagram, im thinking its got to be the clutch relay because when i engage the clutch with a test lead, it works.
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
AZ94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe... When you hooked up the jumper did it blow cold? Did you check pressures with a set of guages? Not saying it couldn't be the relay, but it's usually something simple...
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It blew REALLY hot....
Unread 04-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
AZ94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah there isnt any freon in it... You need to charge it, you'll need to jumper the clutch and charge it... That should bring the pressure up enough to allow the low pressure switch to close and energize the clutch... That is pretty common... You may want to charge it with that freon that has the dye in it too in case there is a leak you'll be able to find it...
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
GBE355
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i know this thread is kinda old but i have a yj that has propper refridgerant pressure and blows cold when the pressure switch is bypassed... replace the switch today assuming that was the problem and im back to square one. The clutch wont engage! any ideas of what else my problem can be?
GBE355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
jeepinjames20

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Part of the problem could be you're running with doors and a top in SoCal.

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

JEEPen James

Firefighters Jeep Club

Build...Run...Break...Repair...Repeat...
jeepinjames20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBE355 View Post
i know this thread is kinda old but i have a yj that has propper refridgerant pressure and blows cold when the pressure switch is bypassed... replace the switch today assuming that was the problem and im back to square one. The clutch wont engage! any ideas of what else my problem can be?
I am not a ac guy but, how cold does it run? If just a little cold you could just need Freon.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.