YJ buckin like a Mule & my saddle dont fit...HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ buckin like a Mule & my saddle dont fit...HELP!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Coolhand1

YJ buckin like a Mule & my saddle dont fit...HELP!

I seem to be misfiring on the next to last cylinder...1991 renagade 4.0L. Done all the usual things, plugs ,wires, cap,rotor. get a check engine light. Hooked it up to a scanner and got a " no vehicle speed sensor detected under load" But it will reset and I won't get it again until the buckin' starts. Any Ideas? I'm out of them. Thanks

Coolhand1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Coolhand1

I spoke to a John @ morris 4x4 in Florida he said it could be the electricial conection at the injector and reccomended cleaning the contacts and adding dielectric grease to the connection. I will give this a try and let you know........................
Unread 04-09-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
Coolhand1

Didn't work but it was worth a try. Am I the only person on the face of the planet that has had this Problem???
Unread 04-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Coolhand1

I have noticed a back fire between the gears and when I push in the clutch the rpm will drop to around 3 to 4 hundred rpm or the motor will die outright. When accelerating there is a deffinatly a miss because the jeep will hit miss hit miss (AKA BUCK) ant ideas? This is getting real old.
Centerlines
Airaid
For the record, 3,692 Renegades were built in 1991.
Unread 04-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Check for slack in the timing chain. They get old after a while.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

does that cylinder have full compression?
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, do a compression check.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
Monk89 94 I4

this is going to sound so silly, but you DID make sure you put the wires back in the right order? can you give us more information about the miss? at a specific rpm? or it just dose it while running?

Will
Unread 04-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
Coolhand1

I have not done a compression check yet, and it seems to miss at low rpm. It will rum fine for a while and all of a sudden start the bucking and I am not for sure if the back fire is constant I only hear it a slow speed. A mech I took it to said that the miss was in the 5th cylinder but he couldn't find the cause???? with the backfire could this be a timing issue?
Centerlines
Airaid
Unread 04-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

if you didnt move the distributor, i'd doubt it, unless it needs replacing.
you need to do a comp check, and rule out any mechanical issues. the timing gear does wear, but is normally accompanied by a slapping timing chain.
sounds more electrical to me...
you can get a bad plug and lead, so just cause they are new, dont totally rule that out....

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
Coolhand1

Problem Solved!!!!!

It turned out to be the Automatic Idle speed motor.

In my posts I talked about a gummed up AISM, so I replaced it and the jeep was idling at 2500 rpm so I disconected th Neg. battery cable and cleared the ECM. After that the ECM went into a programming mode and retaught its self the position of the AISM comparing the RPM with the seat position dropping 500 rpm at a time, until propre Idle rpm was achived, all of this took about 1 minute. Now the codes are gone and I am happy
Centerlines
Airaid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.