YJ brake lines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ brake lines

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
cmorse444
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ brake lines

I am thinking about installing a 4 inch lift on my 95 YJ. I have read many write ups and browsed for a while but not many people discuss what I am mostly concerned about. My brake lines are VERY old and well rusted. So much so that pinching them makes me nervous. My main concern is at the point where the line connects to the back of the wheel in the rear of the jeep. I would prefer to not have to replace the lines entirely.

1) How difficult is it to work with these lines and what's the best way to install the extensions that come in the kit?

2) Do the extensions replace a section of brake line or do they attach to the old lines?

3) What sections of brake lines should I be concerned about for the install and where do the new extensions attach?

4) If anyone could post pictures and descriptions of the steps to install the extensions it would be greatly appreciated.

cmorse444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I really can't answer any of your questions, but you really need to address to lines. They're far more important then the lift right now. I'm only saying this to you because I had the same issue, didn't even want to look at them the wrong way. I'm pulling out of my underground parking, hit the sensor and roll back to the bottom of the ramp, hit the brakes and BANG! The line going to the rear popped right under my seat.

Had I made it to the road, who knows what would have happened.
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where you live, I am a bit surprised your brake lines haven't rusted out dangerously already. It is cheap and easy to replace your lines, just go get a double flaring tool, and a variety of straight lines that are available at your local auto parts store in various lengths. I cannot recall the size of the fittings off the top of my head, but a good counter man should be able to help you with this. To replace your soft lines, it is as simple as unscrewing them, and screwing in the new ones. It is quite likely the end fittings will be very hard if not impossible to get loose with a wrench, even a flare nut wrench, but you're throwing them away, right? Vice grip will get them loose, and you just thread in your new soft lines. It is easy to bend up your new hard lines by hand, or you can get a bending tool, but I did mine by hand, carefully, and followed the pattern of the originals.

If you weren't replacing your lines, the new extended soft lines screw directly in the place of the old/original soft lines; they're just longer. Sorry but I have no photos of this. The only line that is a bother to replace is the front brake hard line that goes over to the passenger side, they go forward to under the radiator, and across the front, and back down the frame rail. I do recommend following the original route though.

And of course, bleed the lines after you've done the replacement.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
NavyYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am having the same issue with mine Q-tech makes a prebent kit or you can get the tube and bend it yourself. I had one break while wheeling not fun!!! you should def replace the lines before or while doing the lift.
NavyYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
wayno32m

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Spend the time and money on your brakes/safety first then when your ready for the lift it wont be an issue because the lift should come with the proper extentions
wayno32m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced all my rusted/rotted out lines when I did my frame off rebuild..I was going with a 3 1/2" fabtech lift so I got myself a set of extended SS flex lines and didn't use the relocation brackets that came with the lift kit

...and they come in colors to match your truck (orange,in my case)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12706_32X_PG.htm
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
cmorse444
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is a shot from the back of the jeep. You're looking at my back left brake line where it attaches to the back of the wheel. Is this the piece that is replaced by the extension?

http://tinypic.com/r/1z1wgh3/6
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
benmar2000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorse444 View Post
This is a shot from the back of the jeep. You're looking at my back left brake line where it attaches to the back of the wheel. Is this the piece that is replaced by the extension?

http://tinypic.com/r/1z1wgh3/6
No.. Those are HARD Lines.. You can get pre bent tubes or just get some bulk brake tubing and bend it your self.. If you have never bent brake tubing before, I would look for the pre bent ones..
yj-rear-brakelines.jpg  
benmar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You need a 3/8" flare wrench for the nuts or you may have to cut off sections. Trust me, I was an impatient fool and paid the price, rounding them off sucks balls.
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
cmorse444
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So where do I attach the extensions at front and back? Any good diagrams online?
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Up front each side has its own soft line running from the frame down to the caliper. Its black rubber and if you start at the caliper its very easy to trace up to the frame. In the rear there is one soft line running from around the midpoint of the axle up to the driver side frame rail. These soft lines are generally what people replace as extended brake lines. The best tool to use would be a flare wrench as it provides more grip on the soft fittings so rounding them out is less likely. I bought an inexpensive set from craftsman (online item, 6 piece kit with 2 sizes on each wrench). As for the rear hard line running across your axle it looks in pretty bad shape, I would absolutely buy a prebent replacement for that before considering anything else. I have had that line blow before, as well as one of the lines going to the front brakes. Neither time was fun. Inspect all your other lines for anything that looks that bad and replace as necessary, when the right line goes you lose ALL brakes.
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if the rest of your hard lines are as rusty as that section in your pic, I would highly recommend that you replace all of the lines in your system before you have a failure

..and to install the extensions (which are only brackets that relocate where your stock lines bolt to the frame) that come in most kits, you have to bend your stock lines. If they are badly rusted you take the chance of the lines just breaking instead of bending.
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
jimpaget
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For the hard lines on my rig, we used some new kink free lines. They really do what the name says. Not sure how widely the lines are available, but if you can find them they really remove a whole lot of frustration from the process of making lines. They are darker in color than the standard line material.

I got mine at a NAPA store.
jimpaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
gbjeepin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The line in your picture is connected to your wheel cylinder. That might need to be replaced as well since it appears to be well rusted. I had to do this on my YJ because the cylinder would not move anymore. It is not hard to do and I picked up new hard lines at advance auto for cheap. You just need to know how long and you can bend them by hand. You need to replace them as they might not work at all anymore. Have you checked your master cylinder to see how much fluid is there. The smaller compartment is for the rear. Mine was completely dry and when I tried to refill it, nothing happend. That is how I figured out my lines were rusted closed.
gbjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
cmorse444
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If im going to replace the hard lines myself I have a few questions.

1) Can anyone come up with a list of all the fittings I will need and the lengths of hoses I will need? When I look on pep boys site they have 10 pages of fittings all different shapes and sizes. Does it matter the diameter of the hose I get? (3/8, 1/4, 5/16)

2) Is this something that will require days to complete? (keep in mind I have never done this before)

3) Can I replace one piece at a time? In other words, can I measure and bend a piece, put all the fittings on, and have it ready to install. Then install just that section of line and move to the next? Or does it have to be all at once?

Tags
brake lines , extensions , lift , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.