YJ body lift removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ body lift removal

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
WNCwheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

YJ body lift removal

I bought my I-4 95 YJ with a 3" body lift on it and now the body lift is going through the body and ruining the whole jeep. I'm going to have so some steel plates made to go in place of the holes the lift has made but other than that what parts will I need? I'm assuming I will need shorter bolts, what sizes, grades, etc? I can see bushings under the blocks so i guess they're the stock ones? Any info will be helpful! Thanks, Travis

WNCwheeler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Whatever you do - I HIGHLY recommend NOT doing what this person did.

Extreamly poor workmanship IMHO.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/another-conundrum-465848/
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
2xHorn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same year and same BL. I bought in November, no issues with the body lift. I figured without doing much off-roading, I'm in no danger until I can get the BL replaced, say within a year.

What happened to make yours punch through?

Why is punch-through more common with 3" than 1 or 2"? Seems like once the body is off the frame rail, it's susceptible, the distance shouldn't make much difference.

Thanks!
2xHorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
hogzilla
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465848

Wow,

I just read that whole thread, and am thanking my lucky stars that my 3" BL removal went fairly smoothly. What a nightmare / hack / bush league job that "shop" did.

By the way, The guy who did / inspected those welds, no way was he drunk.

I've laid beads on steel and aluminium while drunk, That had much more integrity than that.

Unread 12-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
WNCwheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not really sure what made it punch through, I'm guessing just four wheeling and maybe a crappy body lift install? None the less I need to get it fixed, if my case isn't as severe as the one posted here, should this be a big deal as long as the bolt holes are still sturdy and havn't been knocked loose?
WNCwheeler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
hogzilla
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it's punching through, the sheet metal around the bolt holes / body mounts has rusted. A similar approach to the above thread would work, howeverwelding small area 1/4 " plates to the 12 or so guage body metal wouldn't be my first choice.

I would go with a larger surface area, thinner plate (1/8"), myself. With good welds. And make sure that the rubber / poly bushings are nowhere near there wile you're welding.
Unread 12-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had the exact same problem with mine. Turns out the ******* didnt even install ALL of the mounts, making it even worse.

I'd suggest you just buy a shorter body lift. I went with the 1.25" JKS kit, but a lot of people here like Daystar's product.
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

body lifts are a pain in the butt. everyone always says things like... i'm just gonna slap a body lift on it, or i think tonight after i get home from work at 6, i'm gonna put a body lift in before the hills starts at 7. i know a year or so ago i was taking the tub off so i figured why not throw a 1" bl lift in there. my god, it was not easy, luckily the tub was off.
I had to open up the front mounts from inside the tub, take a peice of 1/4 plate, drill and tap, insert back, tack it in place, close up the hole. then i had to remove and replace the side body support where the roll cage, and body mount attaches to. those are not fun.
jeep795 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #9
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCwheeler
I bought my I-4 95 YJ with a 3" body lift on it and now the body lift is going through the body and ruining the whole jeep. I'm going to have so some steel plates made to go in place of the holes the lift has made but other than that what parts will I need? I'm assuming I will need shorter bolts, what sizes, grades, etc? I can see bushings under the blocks so i guess they're the stock ones? Any info will be helpful! Thanks, Travis
Just buy a poly body mount replacement kit (no lift) from Daystar or Prothane or Energy. Order the COMPLETE kit and it will come with everything you will need.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
2xHorn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah seems to me the only thing cheap about the BL is the kit and I can easily see eating up the difference screwing around with stuck bolts etc.

I dunno wth the po got a bl for.

Im thinking I replace the BL with new springs with a 2.5" lift.
2xHorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #11
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465848
This is one of many reasons why I do not post in threads started by that member.

One day my 3" BL is coming off, but I am not excited to do it. I hear many issues with rust and seized bolts. Also, I have heard many times that there are some sort of relocation brackets for the radiator, but I don't know the detail about it. I bet if did some research, you can find a write up on how to remove one.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.