YJ Axle swap....kinda? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Axle swap....kinda?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
DoozerPeej
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Axle swap....kinda?

I have the chance to buy a front HP D30 and a Dana 35 rear (barf) that already have 4.88 gears, the HP D30 has had TJ shafts put in, lock-rite locker, and also comes with all brakes, rotors, calipers, and the entire steering set up. The D35 has a Detroit Locker in the rear, also set up for 4.88 and has the disc brake conversion put on. It is set up for a YJ and I am very tempted. I have same axle set up but with 3.07 gearing, and open differentials front and rear, front axle is still the two piece on passenger side. I have 33" tires and do not hop the wheels as I baby everything I own. I know the D35 is a ticking time bomb, but i'm not too worried about it. What would you pay for the two axles with everything included? Quick reply would be great

DoozerPeej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe $500 or so

A D30 with stock 4:10 gears for about $200 here. Gears and locker would cost about $500 to install new but they are used now. TJ shafts are about $20 at any junkyard. I assume you already have the brake parts and steering from your current axle so there's little value to you there. The D35 really has no value even with the locker.

What are they asking.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
If you've never driven on the street with a Detroit in the rear, you'll be in for a surprise. I bought a similar setup when my second Dana 35 went boom and I hated it.
Drivin a Detroit on the street takes a combination of balls, delicacy and stupidity. In a Hotrod its one thing, a Jeep is quite another....
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Im going to delete my remarks and see where this goes.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you've never driven on the street with a Detroit in the rear, you'll be in for a surprise. I bought a similar setup when my second Dana 35 went boom and I hated it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Drivin a Detroit on the street takes a combination of balls, delicacy and stupidity. In a Hotrod its one thing, a Jeep is quite another....
off topic. please reread question...

let me help:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozerPeej View Post
What would you pay for the two axles with everything included? Quick reply would be great
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

you are looking at buying someone elses junk. Build your own dana 44 front and rear.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

no you gave a personal opinion that had nothing to do with the question. not "tech" related in any way.
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Please no bickering; there's been plenty of that in this section of late.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'd pay 200-250 for front and would maybe give 50 for rear, that would be only in the case that I needed a quick and temporary swap (talking about D35)

Do you have 4 cyl or 4.0?
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Please no bickering; there's been plenty of that in this section of late.
My apologies.
I'll take it all down
Unread 06-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I wasn't trying to go off topic but simply relate my own experiences with a Detroit. I wouldn't suggest using the Detroit in a D35 as a street vehicle. To someone not accustomed to driving one, they can be very dangerous.

As previously stated, $250 for the front and I wouldn't bother with the rear. To me it makes more sense to spend money on something that will last and be worthwhile. If you need a rear tk hold you over while you are building one, may e pick up the D35 for $100. But don't plan on it lasting very long with the Detroit and 33s.

Total I would offer: $300

That more on topic?
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
DoozerPeej
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey thanks for the replies, my YJ has the 4.2 and ax15. This jeep is not a daily driver by any means. It sees about 5 miles of asphault and then its all dirt. I live in utah and so there are mountains in every direction of me. I do not do moab type rock crawling, or mudding. its mainly just going up old mining trails and mountain access roads. I just hate my 3.07 gears and figured that $500 for everything is a pretty good deal. I know everyone hates the D35 but I haven't had any issues with mine, granted it has an open diff. I am a full service auto mechanic and work on lifted jeeps all day long and have yet to do anything other than an axle seal here and there on a D35. I have seen more issues with the Grand Cherokee D44a than any other axle, of course not counting all the Yota axles we rebuild
DoozerPeej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

$500 is a pretty fair price considering there is an option to resell the Dana 35 if you wanted a stronger axle to replace it. I would say its a good start but it's only worth however much you're willing to pay for it based on how badly you want it.
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I agree, $500 is fair price. I did almost the same thing. Bumped up to 33" tires with 3.07's and decided I needed some different gears. I paid $100 for a set of 4.10 d30 and d35 that came out of a 4cyl. Bolted them in for the time being to keep wheeling. Bought some Aussie lockers front and rear for good deal, and held up well with light throttle usage offroad. I did have a set of spare shafts for the d35 just in case though. I eventually found a ford 8.8 and swapped it in the rear, but the D35 with the locker allowed me to keep wheeling and keep up with my buddies while I built the 8.8. I am currently going to sell both front and rear Dana's with Aussies for $300 to a family member who doesn't plan on wheeling to much.

With that being said, $500 is good deal I think for 4.88's and you can resell them later.
trailrider787 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

$500 is a good price- real good! Put a truss on the D-35 if you think it may be shakey, but I can tell you from my personal experience that the D-35 is not the total boat anchor it's made out to be. It should do you well. Carry some spare shafts as back-up, or go with alloy shafts.

I've done bodywork useing a winch, a tree, a prybar, and a BFH!

Now, my wild oats have turned to prune juice and all-bran...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.