Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ Axle Ratios

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jeffy 
#1 ·
I have a 90 YJ 5-speed with a 2.5L, my question is, does anyone know what ratio this would have come with from the factory? The only way I can think of finding out is pulling off the differential cover and counting the teeth.

#2 ·
Originally posted by shea324@aol.com:
I have a 90 YJ 5-speed with a 2.5L, my question is, does anyone know what ratio this would have come with from the factory? The only way I can think of finding out is pulling off the differential cover and counting the teeth.
If it had a automatic then it will have 3.73:1. If it's a manual then it will have 4.10 in the front and 4.11 in the rear.

A side note: There should be metal tags bolted to the differential covers with the gear ratio on them. Sometimes they have missing because someone didn't put it back on after doing rear end work.

You can also count the revolutions of one tire to the yoke on the driveshaft. Jack one side up and put the Transmission is neutral then start counting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.