yj axle help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj axle help

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdMarch Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 03-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
yj4me
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yj axle help

Recently my d35c rear axle with ARB and warn manual hubs decided to blow up after more than 15 years of use. Skipping the part about me needing a new rear axle, I'm having trouble removing the axle shafts. I have watched several video's and read many of the posts here, but I haven't found any that deal with ARB AND Warn rear hubs. The question is, do I still have C clips to remove? I can't see them or find them or get access to them. See pictures..(parts in diff cover fell out upon removal.)

20150326_163654.jpg

20150326_163709.jpg

20150327_173548.jpg  

Last edited by yj4me; 03-27-2015 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: added picture
yj4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't the hubs need to come off so the shafts can come out?
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
yj4me
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yes, i have removed tires, hubs, breaks, and all the hub pieces. When I pull the axle shaft on either side it moves maybe an inch or so then stops at the edge of the gear. I'm wondering if the C clips are behind the gear but also can't get out that last pin with the smaller spider gear. I'm thinking things are wedged in due to the extent of the damage to the ARB and ring gears etc..

Last edited by yj4me; 03-27-2015 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: changed wording
Unread 03-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm just winging it here, but is your axle shaft running into an outer seal? I haven't worked on a 35, but, you should be able to see what your shaft is hanging up on...I would think
Project #1- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/5-0-yj-right-way-1799609/
flipit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #5
yj4me
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think it is, here is a picture of the axle shaft
20150327_213557.jpg  

Last edited by yj4me; 03-27-2015 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: add image
Unread 03-28-2015, 01:48 AM   #6
ttop191
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I dont have experience with the guts of a dana 35 but i know on the 3 ford 7.5 axles ive done gears on in order to get the c-clips push your axle shafts in towards the center of the diff. If they are there you'll see them then.

edit: After taking another look at your pics. Specifically the last one in the first post. Those are definitely not c clip axle shafts. It's possible some debris from the ARB scored your axle shaft and it's catching on the inner race of a bearing or on a seal.

2nd edit: also welcome to the forum and I'm curious to know your tire setup since you lasted so long with a locked d35
ttop191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2015, 05:34 AM   #7
pete1991YJ
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nope, no c-clips here. The end of your axle shaft is warped/distorted enough to make removal difficult, if I look closely at the pics... if it were mine, I would be using the torch to cut off the side gears, then slide the shaft out. Likely the only part that can be saved is the axle housing.
Unread 03-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #8
yj4me
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you everyone for all the replies, and thanks for the welcome to the forum.

33" tires on 4:56 gears, 4:1 xfer-case reduction. When the drive shaft was made shorter to fit the 4:1 and lifts, the axle was also "very slightly" turned to help with the angle of the drive shaft etc...
Unread 03-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
Jeepsr4me

Just snatch the axles out... If there is any burs on the end inside the diff, file those off before snatching..

I have a slide hammer to help get things to moving that dont want to move..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

By the looks of things, pretty much everything is toast

Are there reasons you're putting the effort into disassembly?

A friend of mine is who designed that kit many years ago in an effort to satisfy a few folks who felt the need to keep the D35 but wanted some sort of upgrades.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #11
yj4me
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I started, I was just trying to assess why I broke down. At this point, rather than buy tools needed to get the gears / Axle shafts out, I'm more likely to replace the d35 completely. Contemplating putting it back together so its at least mobile vs. jack stands to move between garage and driveway until I'm able to put together a replacement axle with ARB etc... Always a tough debate when you start dealing with axles. I suspect the front stock axles can't be far from destruction also. Last summer while fixing an air leak on my front ARB, I learned they don't even make the O-rings for my ARB's any more, or so I was told. I suppose its time to make some hard decisions. 8.8, d40, d60, stick with 4:56 or move to 4:88 and larger tires 35" etc...

I suppose that's why i tinker with dis-assembly, its something i can do now while avoiding expensive decisions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.