yj axle, gear, and carrier questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj axle, gear, and carrier questions...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
safari_edit93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yj axle, gear, and carrier questions...

Ok so I plan on picking the brains of axle experts on this one. I have a '93 yj with some goodies on it and my dad has a '02 tj with even more goodies. My dad is upgrading both his front and rear axles to run bigger tires. My questions are
1) will the front carrier and gears from his dana 30 fit into my yj dana 30? I ask this because it has 3.73 gears and if I want to gear down further in the future I will have a bigger carrier.
2) I have access to a free dana 44 out of a '73 scout II with 3.73 gears. Would making this axle fit in the rear be worth upgrading to? I have heard countless horror stories with dana 35's and want it gone. I plan on running 33 inch tires and doing mild to moderate trail running and its a daily driver. And also I'm a college student so I'm looking for the cheapest route.
3) finally, My dad's rear axle that he is getting rid of (also a dana 35) has 3.73 gears and a factory limited slip which we recently rebuilt. If the scout 44 is too much hassle, could I at least pull the carrier out of it and get the lower gears and limited slip in my 35 (temporary of course I know the 35 is crap and I know all about the 8.8 and everything I just want to know if it would be worth it for now untill I have more money to put into the jeep.) thanks guys!

safari_edit93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1 Carrier (it'll fit, but it sounds like you have 3.07s) and axles yes, gears no.
2 No to maybe
3 Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Front R&P gears will not work from the TJ. If it's a low pinion D30, those gears can not be swapped to a YJ's high pinion D30. No way - no how. The carrier is a different story & doable if coupled to the right R&P.

For the Scout D44; is the wheel bolt pattern the same? How about width?

The TJ D35 gears & carrier are compatable.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
safari_edit93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

awesome guys thanks. the dana 44 from what I understand is 2.5 inches shorter and has a 5 on 5.5 inch bolt pattern I could get 1.25 wheel spacers that will fix both problems and I would have to get new spring perches and shock mounts but my uncle is a welder. And also would it be possible at all to stuff the rear 35 carrier out of my dad's into the scout 44? I really am not an axle expert as you can see
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_edit93 View Post
And also would it be possible at all to stuff the rear 35 carrier out of my dad's into the scout 44? I really am not an axle expert as you can see
Nope, they are not interchangeable.

About the only thing interchangeable between the axles would be the gear oil.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
safari_edit93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok thanks. i think thats all I need to know

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.