yj axle flip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj axle flip

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
etwey
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yj axle flip

i have a 87 yj with a 2 inch shackle lift and a 2 inch add a lief. i am thinking about doing an axle flip whats the best way to do to lower my transfer case?

etwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about moving your springs over the axle (SOA)?
Unread 01-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

first ones I could find, I've also seen them made out of 1x1 box tubing, easy DIY, but this kit is to CHEAP to justify a DIY, you wont save much $$$
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=SUS_ACC
yo may also want an engine mount lift as well
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

if you are keeping the current springs and shackles, skip the T-case drop!!!
with your current 4" of lift, combined with the roughly 5" you get from going SOA, you are definatly going to need a SYE, and new drive shaft.
Unread 01-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you are going SOA, remove the shackle lift.

2" shackles shouldn't be used at all, IMO. I just removed mine in favor of stock length greasable Currie shackles with much less than 2" lost off the lift.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
TWISTED125
1989 YJ Wrangler 

woah woah woah, I may be new to this SOA. I see guys that have it done, its sick, didnt realize what exactly it meant though. I have a 4" RC lift, and 1"body, so i can from this arangement put my springs on top of my axle? I thought you had to do some sort of a coil system and do away with the leaf springs? am i in left field? someone explain to a jack *** (me) please.
TWISTED125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Ustabearenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTED125 View Post
woah woah woah, I may be new to this SOA. I see guys that have it done, its sick, didnt realize what exactly it meant though. I have a 4" RC lift, and 1"body, so i can from this arangement put my springs on top of my axle? I thought you had to do some sort of a coil system and do away with the leaf springs? am i in left field? someone explain to a jack *** (me) please.

Technically yes HOWEVER if you already have a 4" kit and do a SOA you gain another 5" so lets see 4" springs + 1" Body + 5" SOA = 10" of lift. (hope your a tall guy)

The drawbacks are:

1)being that tall can be a bit unstable especially on a DD
2) Springs wear out faster due to them being used in a manner that they are not designed for (they do make them but they are not 4" lift springs)
3) A little more fab than you think, yes you can just weld perches on and go however pinion angles need to be set as well as driveshafts extended, as well as if you still have the trac and sway bars still on
4) Some attention needs to be paid to a rear traction bar or else the fist time you go offroad hit the gas the rear pinion will point at the gas tank (ask me how I know)
5) bigger lift = bigger tires = NEED gears - cant just have a Jeep with 10" of lift and 33's - they look really funny......

Now do you really gain anything...yes when done correctly a SOA is a very nice way to lift the jeep and the ride quailty is actually improved.

And i TOTALLY forgot the steering part - thats a whole new can of worms

Last edited by Ustabearenegade; 01-16-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Ustabearenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTED125 View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/soa-parts-list-reference-guide-471769/

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
TWISTED125
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustabearenegade View Post
Technically yes HOWEVER if you already have a 4" kit and do a SOA you gain another 5" so lets see 4" springs + 1" Body + 5" SOA = 10" of lift. (hope your a tall guy)

The drawbacks are:

1)being that tall can be a bit unstable especially on a DD
2) Springs wear out faster due to them being used in a manner that they are not designed for (they do make them but they are not 4" lift springs)
3) A little more fab than you think, yes you can just weld perches on and go however pinion angles need to be set as well as driveshafts extended, as well as if you still have the trac and sway bars still on
4) Some attention needs to be paid to a rear traction bar or else the fist time you go offroad hit the gas the rear pinion will point at the gas tank (ask me how I know)
5) bigger lift = bigger tires = NEED gears - cant just have a Jeep with 10" of lift and 33's - they look really funny......

Now do you really gain anything...yes when done correctly a SOA is a very nice way to lift the jeep and the ride quailty is actually improved.
ahhhh ,thanks for the education. Sounds intriguing, but too much of an undertaking for me right now. 10" of lift - damn. Im 6'4" , girlfriend is 5' flat, that may cause a problem. So I guess an alternative to a lift kit, shackles etc. may be jsut a stock spring height and an SOA? How do the costs add up if you were to take a stock YJ and compare doing a lift, body lift etc - to doing an SOA with some beefing up of components? Thanks for the good info, sounds like you once purchased a new gas tank?
Unread 01-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

a proper SOA will cost a about the same as 4" higher end SUA kit and BL after you get the SYE in their and both should clear 35"s, then you ket to the expensive stuff both ways (axles) the SUA is bolt in and SOA is major fabricating, so if you can't do it yourself big$$$$. most will tell you the SOA rides and flexes best
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
TWISTED125
1989 YJ Wrangler 

huh, cool! Thanks for the info.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.