Yj Alignment issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj Alignment issues

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
TheBusterBrown
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yj Alignment issues

Disclaimer: I'm new here so if I violated any rules pardon me. Also I tried searching and googling a solution to this and could not find anything.

So I have a 1991 Right hand drive Wrangler and took my Jeep in for an alignment at Sears Auto center and to make a long story short; I now have to replace to what I think is my tie rod ends and sleeve?

My problem is I'm not sure what parts to order seeing as my Jeep is RHD? Can someone link me to the appropriate aforementioned parts? I will link an image of the parts that need to be replaced.
Also Is there anything special I should look out for when installing it?

And here's the image:
http://tinypic.com/r/fc8utw/5

TheBusterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusterBrown View Post
Disclaimer: I'm new here so if I violated any rules pardon me. Also I tried searching and googling a solution to this and could not find anything.

So I have a 1991 Right hand drive Wrangler and took my Jeep in for an alignment at Sears Auto center and to make a long story short; I now have to replace to what I think is my tie rod ends and sleeve?

My problem is I'm not sure what parts to order seeing as my Jeep is RHD? Can someone link me to the appropriate aforementioned parts? I will link an image of the parts that need to be replaced.
Also Is there anything special I should look out for when installing it?

And here's the image:
http://tinypic.com/r/fc8utw/5
All the steering should work the same as it would for a left hand drive just flipped over
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-st...rangler-yj.htm

Looks like you need #12 (or #11, 13, and 14 if you buy them separate) the link above the picture has the list each part name below it. I recently replaced the entire steering "assembly" (all TREs, Sleeves, etc) for about $200 with Moog parts. Took about 1hr to install and 30min to align (but I already knew what I was doing). Also...a little tip that screws everyone up: One of the Tie Rod Ends on each sleeve is reverse threaded! If it's not threading, try turning the other direction!
dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just re-read the OP. Did Sears beat the hell out of your sleeve of was it like that when you brought it in? It's hard to tell if you need new TREs or if they need grease (if they are greasable). Also, for future knowledge, doing an alignment on a YJ takes about 30minutes if you have a second person to help hold the string or tape measure. My wife did it with me, she felt like she did some work on the Jeep (ha!) and I didn't have to share beer with anyone, Win-Win!

Here's an awesome thread by Mean Max that shows you how to do it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...gnment-994928/
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The super short drag link is bazaar. You would think they would flip the whole assembly instead.
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
TheBusterBrown
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcocch View Post
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-st...rangler-yj.htm

Looks like you need #12 (or #11, 13, and 14 if you buy them separate) the link above the picture has the list each part name below it. I recently replaced the entire steering "assembly" (all TREs, Sleeves, etc) for about $200 with Moog parts. Took about 1hr to install and 30min to align (but I already knew what I was doing). Also...a little tip that screws everyone up: One of the Tie Rod Ends on each sleeve is reverse threaded! If it's not threading, try turning the other direction!
Awesome I was looking for something just like this! Thank you!
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
TheBusterBrown
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcocch View Post
I just re-read the OP. Did Sears beat the hell out of your sleeve of was it like that when you brought it in? It's hard to tell if you need new TREs or if they need grease (if they are greasable). Also, for future knowledge, doing an alignment on a YJ takes about 30minutes if you have a second person to help hold the string or tape measure. My wife did it with me, she felt like she did some work on the Jeep (ha!) and I didn't have to share beer with anyone, Win-Win!

Here's an awesome thread by Mean Max that shows you how to do it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...gnment-994928/
The guy at Sears was only 'qualified' to do oil changes and he thought he would practice on my Jeep and now all I know is that the bolts are stripped and I need to buy a new sleeve. That is awesome! I thought I would need one of those wheel balancing machines! Next time around if anyone messes up my jeep it will be me
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Next time around if anyone messes up my jeep it will be me
Wiser words are rarely spoken
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #9
TheBusterBrown
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So i've run into a problem, I can't find a bloody short tie rod sleeve. Anyone have any clue where I can find a 6in sleeve/tube?
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #10
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So i've run into a problem, I can't find a bloody short tie rod sleeve. Anyone have any clue where I can find a 6in sleeve/tube?
Pretty sure those come stock on tj's
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I was going to say it looked really short but I wasn't sure if it was just the picture and it being reversed...

No prob on the pic, I searched for about 3 hours when I was buying parts to make sure I had everything the first time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.