yj air lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj air lockers

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 08-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
bms79
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yj air lockers

Needing assistance. I recently purchased a yj that seems to be built right, but thre are some things that I am unfamiliar with(arb air lockers). I understand the basics of differential lockers; they're purpose, how they function, etc. Yesterday pulling out of a gravel road in a hurry when the rear tires broke loose it felt and sounded like there was slippage. The rear locker was NOT engaged. I have only messed with the buttons in my garage. Never locked it in on the trails., but it seems to fuction properly. Any help I could get on the noises would be appreciated. Not even sure if there is a problem.

bms79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Air lockers are easy. The best way you can test them is by using a set of jackstands or by putting it on a lift. You don't needto have the engine running to lock the differentials. Just jack it up and engage the front or rear locker and spin a tire. If both tires spin the same direction it works. Then disengage. If both spin opposite directions then it disengages correctly. They aren't automatically engaged for comfortable daily driving and saving on tire wear.
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
bms79
1994 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the advice. I have checked them they definately engage. Its pretty much when im horsing aroubd in 2wd, if the rear tires breakloose there is a thumping noise and a vibratin that comes from the rearend. Im afraid to jump on it to hard.. i havent jacked it up to test. I had just flipped the switch in the gravel to see if it engaged. What is the likelihood that it is not disengaging? Thanks
bms79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They should be completely invisible when unlocked. No noise, no clicking. In fact no noise when locked coming from the locker either.

Mine, the only noise they make is a light swoosh sound when unlocking and the air line purges. And the solenoids click when locking. The air compressor is the noisiest part. Also, if there is no air pressure, the locker will not lock, no matter the switch(unless broken).
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Could it be axle wrap causing the vibe & noise?

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Probably Axle Wrap
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah. It probably is. It's trying to be resolved in his other thread.

Tags
4x4 , air lockers , differential , noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.