YJ AC-to-compressed air conversion question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ AC-to-compressed air conversion question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #1
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ AC-to-compressed air conversion question

I wanted to free up a few more HP's in my 4-banger by taking the ac compressor out of commission. Is there a way to remove the compressor and still use the serpentine belt? It doesn't look possible to me. I'm not sure how I could get more hp's out of the engine without disconnecting it.

While researching this I saw where a member mentioned converting an ac compressor into an air compressor for arb and airing up tires. But I can't find a write-up in the forum. Any ideas??

I'm also going to install an electric fan when I replace the leaky radiator and I read where that will give you extra power by removing the belt driven fan.

This is a 95 YJ I-4 manual tranny. Everything is all stock on the jeep.

Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Converting the A/C to OBA has been done numerous times, I believe there's at least one write up in the YJ FAQ's. There's not going to be a difference in having the compressor in place or having an idler there, they both will spin freely under load with no loss of power unless of course the compressor is on. I think the best bet for removing it totally is getting the idlers from a salvage. I'm sure some four banger guys here with no A/C can post pics of how it looks.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.