YJ 8.8 driveline vibration need advice - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-24-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
sardog211
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 149
YJ 8.8 driveline vibration need advice

Ok forum I am about to surrender I have a 89 YJ I6 with ax-15 and 231 with SYE, I just did an 8.8 swap I have been chasing a vibration that occurs occurs around 60 mph and up. Here's the full run down. I have a DC an XJ cut down once for the dana 35 and cut down again for the 8.8. Each time I have been told it is balanced, I had a vibration with the dana 35 installed at 68 mph with the 8.8 it's around 60mph. The other day I took rear driveshaft off an drive it with only front on wow no vibration, installed rear DS and vibration came back. I checked TC yoke this morning with and it was tight no play, I then started vehicle put it in gear and ran it yoke looked great. I also checked angles and if I did it right I have 5 degrees at yoke and 15 degrees at axle pinion. I'm simply at a loss and before I go and buy a new rear drive shaft I want to make sure I am not just wasting money trying guess what it could be. I did notice torque arm bushing was a not tight on torque arm but the transmission mount looked to be good.

I need so serious direction, do I take the driveshaft to a third place to have it checked???

sardog211 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 11-24-2013, 03:06 PM
ashland82391
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler
Posts: 7,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardog211 View Post
Ok forum I am about to surrender I have a 89 YJ I6 with ax-15 and 231 with SYE, I just did an 8.8 swap I have been chasing a vibration that occurs occurs around 60 mph and up. Here's the full run down. I have a DC an XJ cut down once for the dana 35 and cut down again for the 8.8. Each time I have been told it is balanced, I had a vibration with the dana 35 installed at 68 mph with the 8.8 it's around 60mph. The other day I took rear driveshaft off an drive it with only front on wow no vibration, installed rear DS and vibration came back. I checked TC yoke this morning with and it was tight no play, I then started vehicle put it in gear and ran it yoke looked great. I also checked angles and if I did it right I have 5 degrees at yoke and 15 degrees at axle pinion. I'm simply at a loss and before I go and buy a new rear drive shaft I want to make sure I am not just wasting money trying guess what it could be. I did notice torque arm bushing was a not tight on torque arm but the transmission mount looked to be good.

I need so serious direction, do I take the driveshaft to a third place to have it checked???
Play in the slip joint?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ashland82391 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 11-24-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
sardog211
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 149
No play at all I grabbed it and it's tight, everything feels good with the slip joint.
sardog211 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 11-24-2013, 03:50 PM
ashland82391
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler
Posts: 7,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardog211 View Post
No play at all I grabbed it and it's tight, everything feels good with the slip joint.
Is it in park/gear when you grab it? If so try it in neutral.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ashland82391 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 11-24-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
sardog211
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 149
Vehicle is manual so what I did is shifted t-case to neutral spins fine I didn't feel any slop in the yoke. Thanks for your help in hoping someone hits on something I have missed.
sardog211 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 11-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
 
Joe Dillard's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lexington Park
Posts: 13,464
By chance - was the drive shaft taken apart at the slip & not slid back together in-phase?
Joe Dillard is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 PM
TSEJEEPERS
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Morton IL
Posts: 5,714
Measure you pinion angle and driveshaft angle like this.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/pinion/pinion-1.htm
And get back to us.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TSEJEEPERS is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 11-24-2013, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
sardog211
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 149
Joe- it is in phase I did check that I have been talking to someone and since the vibration has used to be at 68 mph now it's at 60 after I shortened again for the 8.8 that it could be that my DS Is to short (17 3/4) on a xj front cut down. Thought is that it is possible that it's just hitting the right harmonics since it is short maybe I need thicker walled tubing to remove that harmonic vibration. I leaning toward getting a Curtis Tatton rear driveshaft made.


TSE- did it just like that both came out at 15 degrees on angle indicator.
sardog211 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 04-23-2017, 06:27 PM
NW4wheeler
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rochester
Posts: 210
Has this ever been resolved? I'm having what's sounds like the same issue. I have messed with my pinion angle with no luck. My drive shaft is fresh built by a driveshaft shop. My 8.8 has no excessive backlash. I have the jb conversations super short Sye. I've rotated my tires. The vibration feels as if it's coming from the back relative to vehicle speed once I get to 60mph i can start to feel it and by 70mph it's very noticeable. Please help.
NW4wheeler is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 04-23-2017, 11:44 PM
cyoos
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wichita
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4wheeler View Post
Has this ever been resolved? I'm having what's sounds like the same issue. I have messed with my pinion angle with no luck. My drive shaft is fresh built by a driveshaft shop. My 8.8 has no excessive backlash. I have the jb conversations super short Sye. I've rotated my tires. The vibration feels as if it's coming from the back relative to vehicle speed once I get to 60mph i can start to feel it and by 70mph it's very noticeable. Please help.
This is a long shot, but is there a chance that the two halves of the driveshaft were separated and then put it back together at some point before you installed it? If that happened and it wasn't marked for orientation it could have been reassembled 180 degrees off which very likely would throw it out of balance.
cyoos is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 04-24-2017, 05:16 AM
jefferson3
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 49
Garage
Not sure if this could be contributing, but the 8.8 pinion is 2-3/16" offset horizontally. I know that most people don't seem to notice any issues, but when I bought my 8.8 that was under another YJ before mine its perches were welded slightly offset so that the pinion was brought a little closer to center. I use a wheel spacer on one side to even things out.
jefferson3 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 04-24-2017, 08:44 AM
NW4wheeler
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rochester
Posts: 210
No I got the driveshaft directly from the builders unless they f'ed up then the driveshaft should be good.
NW4wheeler is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 04-24-2017, 08:47 AM
NW4wheeler
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rochester
Posts: 210
I know about the pinion off set and it would be nice to hear what other people are feeling. Because I'm not going to run a spacer on just one side I'll upgrade axles if I have to. I just want this thing to be good at 60mph and like this it feels like it's going to take out bearings.
NW4wheeler is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome