YJ 5.2/5.9 swap questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ 5.2/5.9 swap questions

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
drhill
1998 ZJ 

YJ 5.2/5.9 swap questions

Hi Everyone...I've been searching jeepforums for a long time and finally have enough info to post a question! I'm looking to purchase a 94-95 YJ 4.0 5 speed and swap in a same year 5.2 or 5.9 V8 as simply as possible. I'm in California and want to make this Jeep California BAR legal. I also want to keep the AX-15 and everything else as close to stock as possible.

Here's my plan:

5.2/5.9 complete engine with all accessories, wiring harnesses, computer and exhaust
3.9 Dakota bellhousing, flywheel and splash sheild
Use stock AX-15 clutch, pilot bearing and slave cylinder
Advanced Adapters V8 swap motor mounts
Inexpensive swap radiator? (Heard you can use a SBC swap radiator?)
5.2/5.9 fan clutch should work in stock 4.0 fan shroud?
Modify V8 y pipe to fit Jeep
Wiring - work through Dodge and Jeep wiring diagrams - splice as necessary.

I am hoping that with this setup I will not have to move or work on anything from the transmission back through the driveline and that all factory V8 emission systems will work properly. Also all Jeep gauges, check engine light and diagnostic port will function as well.

Any tips or tricks? Anything I'm forgetting? For example, do I need to source a computer from a V8 truck with a manual trans? Or will one from an auto trans work fine?

Thanks for the help!!

drhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The computer will have to come from a manual dodge truck. If you're going 5.9, then use the 5.9 clutch and flywheel. I fits fine and provides more clutch area. The stock exhaust manifolds did not work, I went with center dump block hugger headers from summit for around $130. Yes you can use a sbc radiator as the in and outputs are in the correct location. I got the bolt in conversion radiator from oconee offroad on the cheap. As for as emissions compliance, I have no idea since I live in a state that doesn't require any testing. I would assume you'll need a new catalytic converter at a minimum. Run 3" pipe from the y-collector off the headers all the way back to a flowmaster with turndowns and it will sound awesome.

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

go with the 5.9. more power fro the same work. and with regard to the exhaust manifold, i have a set off a ZJ, but i assume the clearance issue you run into is the firewall, not the inner fenders like we do. the ZJ can only use ZJ specific headers. all the dodge ones have clearance problems with the inner fender.
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the problem is clearance with the firewall. Center dump headers work perfectly.

Unread 08-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
drhill
1998 ZJ 

That all sounds ok....the trick with california is I have to use whatever is stock for the truck I am transplanting the engine from or the smog legal replacement headers for that truck.

Wonder if I got the motor from a ZJ if those manifolds would work on the YJ? Anyone know? I cant use the block huggers for sure unfortunately
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post
That all sounds ok....the trick with california is I have to use whatever is stock for the truck I am transplanting the engine from or the smog legal replacement headers for that truck.

Wonder if I got the motor from a ZJ if those manifolds would work on the YJ? Anyone know? I cant use the block huggers for sure unfortunately
Hmmm I have no idea, but I do know the dodge ram manifolds I had hit the firewall.

Unread 08-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

some early dodges had center dump manifolds I wonder of they would work on magnum heads.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsg2005 View Post
some early dodges had center dump manifolds I wonder of they would work on magnum heads.
I'm pretty sure they would fit, here's a link to the application for the headers I used on summit's website http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...n/?prefilter=1

Unread 08-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
drhill
1998 ZJ 

I just found this article from JP Magazine online about swapping a 5.2 into a TJ...they used the manifolds on the engine in this photo...

http://image.jpmagazine.com/f/956802...5_vtj_03_z.jpg

would these work in a yj?
Unread 08-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
drhill
1998 ZJ 

anyone?
Unread 08-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That looks just like the stock manifolds that were on my engine. They could possibly work, but they just come too close to the firewall in my opinion. Are you avoiding headers for emissions reasons?

Unread 08-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You could try some of these from an early 80's dodge d/w150. They are center dump and exit fairly close to the block. And being that they are a stock cast manifold they would most likely never notice during an inspection. And they will fit a magnum head I just tried the on the 5.2 I have on the stand.
center-dump-manifolds.jpg  
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Remember your donor engine must come from same or newer vehicle for Cali smog. At least I've read that several times. 94-95 YJ means you must use 94-95 engine, and '96+ is OBD2, more wiring & doubt you'll get the OEM YJ dash to work with it.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
Remember your donor engine must come from same or newer vehicle for Cali smog. At least I've read that several times. 94-95 YJ means you must use 94-95 engine, and '96+ is OBD2, more wiring & doubt you'll get the OEM YJ dash to work with it.
Noltz - didn't you once say that a 5.2 wouldn't fit in a YJ? Now you're doubting the OEM dash will work?

If he's got an OEM 94-95 speedo/tach, the gauges will work.

I'm running a 96 OBD2 5.2 in my '88 YJ. Using my OEM '88 YJ fuel level gauge, oil pressure gauge, water temp gauge and a 94-95 tach/speedo. Sure a little wiring, but it all works perfectly.

Don't be afraid of OBD2, just have patience or moolah to pay someone like Evan at BWO. The scan capabilities can be very helpful.

Although I don't have any experience with the AA motor mounts - I can vouch for the Novak setup. Very simple and flexible - even after install.

For the clutch, I found the 88 YJ master, 95 YJ slave and 5.2 pressure plate/clutch work just fine.

Radiator - I took my 88 YJ radiator to a local rad shop. They rodded the fins and swapped/enlarged the inlet and outlet ports for less than $150.

Exhaust - I did just like bmgadg suggested and it is too loud for me. I will be working fast to reduce the noise. Driving the jeep with ear plugs sucks... I do like the summit block hugger headers, but I expected more out of the ceramic coating to cut down on heat. I'll have a 3" flowmaster 40 for sale soon if you're interested.

I just got my first 15+ mpg tank, up from 10 with the 4.2.
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
drhill
1998 ZJ 

Great info guys..thanks for the input. I bet I can squeak by with those center dump manifolds if need be. Can't imagine anyone would notice unless the stock 94-95 5.2/5.9 manifolds have emissions fittings in them. I would try to stick w/ OBD I as it's just easier...OBD II has better diagnostics etc...

I may still try to upgrade the radiator somehow as I live in the desert and it is 118 degrees here today...like my a/c and I hate overheating!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.