yj 4x4 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj 4x4 questions

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
mattdinko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yj 4x4 questions

im brand new to the world of 4x4s and just got myself a lifted yj. i though the front differential was locked in the stock dana 30 but i recently pulled the 4x4 vacuum lines and the indicator wire apart when i snagged a branch. i put them back together but since then only the driver side wheel spins in 4x4, does this mean there might be a problem with the vacuum system? the way i understood it was engaging 4x4 only really gave power to the driver side front and that the vacuum system engaged a 2 piece drive shaft to the passenger side? also the 4wd light is not coming on at all. any explanations or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

also how do you tell what the gearing is? the previous owner was as clueless as i am but it must be re geared since its running 35s and tops out at under 60mph lol

mattdinko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

the problem with the 4x4 light and your right front passenger tire not spinning are both connected to your vaccum switch that connects the front axles.

to know what gears you have (assuming they are stock) its on a tag under one of the bolts on the rear end.

If you suspect the gearing has been changed you can jack the Jeep and spin the tire while watching the drive shaft. That also will tell you what ratio you have.

I just read your profile you have an 8.8 rear end so as to what stock gearing is i don't know
bogleparsons is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

He has a 1992. His diagram is this. . .
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

In stock from, YJ front axles have open dif's. The CAD (Central Axle Disconnect) is just there to disconnect the passenger side axle shaft so that your front drive shaft doesn't spin all the time when in 2wd. It basically takes the place of manual hubs (like are found on most older 4x4's).

Also, due to how an open dif works, spinning only one tire (front or rear) is verry common.

For the light, check all the vac lines, and the wires for the light, and also check the bulb.
Unread 08-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
mattdinko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info ill look into replacing the switch and see if that works
mattdinko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post
In stock from, YJ front axles have open diff's. The CAD (Central Axle Disconnect) is just there to disconnect the passenger side axle shaft so that your front drive shaft doesn't spin all the time when in 2wd. It basically takes the place of manual hubs (like are found on most older 4x4's).

Also, due to how an open dif works, spinning only one tire (front or rear) is very common.

For the light, check all the vac lines, and the wires for the light, and also check the bulb.
thanks, I need to do these same checks for my own '91 YJ...
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd replace the lines too. You can use regular black rubber from the autoparts store. If they are original and aren't bad now, they will be soon.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , differential , vacuum , vacuum system , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.