YJ 4x4 general question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ 4x4 general question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
ARdirty
2001 WJ 

YJ 4x4 general question

I previously had a WJ-5inch Rusty's lift and 33's. I'm not new to the world of offroading but I am new to the YJ 4x4 system. I now have a 95 wrangler and I did some research about the transfercase and axles. I have read that there is a vacuum line to the front axle, does that mean that I have a sort of limited slip in the front? The whole thing goes into 4x4 and works fine ( aside from some bad popping) but I got under there to take a look and noticed the vacuum lines ( or what I think is the vacuum system)

The transfercase is not on a vacuum system correct? Which means that, like my WJ, when I shift into 4x4 the power goes equally to both axles. If this is the case why do I have vacuum lines for the axles?

Thanks for clearing this up! ive tried to do my own research I swear.

ARdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The vacuum goes to the front passenger side axle shaft to lock in the inner and outer shafts to engage the front axle for four wheel drive. Yes the transfer case is included into the vacuum system unless someone has changed it. My 95 has a vacuum switch on it that not only directs flow but turns on the 4x4 light on the dash.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
ARdirty
2001 WJ 

So, the transfercase engages, and the axle engages, but the axle is still an open carrier correct?
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There wasn't a limited slip installed from the factory.

The vacuum system up front is to connect both pieces of the passenger shaft so that the open differential can send power to either wheel. The central axle disconnect is in place as a gas saver so that your driveshaft up front doesn't spin when you're in 2wd. Jeep fixed this "problem" by installing cv front driveshafts on the later tjs and xj's after the Yj and even some of the xj's before the Yj depending on the trim package. If it works, don't mess with it. Its probably fine. If it doesn't work then there's some options to update the reliability.
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
ARdirty
2001 WJ 

thanks for clearing it up! Just trying not to be ignorant

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.