yj on 37"s and soa. want to know who is and is not running rear trac bars. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj on 37"s and soa. want to know who is and is not running rear trac bars.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What are you planning to do for your steering setup? Joe Dillard had to notch the frame with his high steer on his front 60 because the drag link contacted the frame at full stuff. Steering will take lots of planning for clearances and such.

Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i guess this is the kind of crap i need to adapt to as i go.

i have H1 offset high steer arms, so my TRE's "should" be slightly more inboard than a normal setup. i could also use bump stops to limit axle stuff.

anyhow... steering will be as follows...

H1 offset high steer arms.
chevy 1 ton TRE's.
independent drag link and tie rod. (no "Y" link or anything crazy)
for initial setup i will be keeping the oem steering box with a drop arm.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #18
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My front is an 88 1/2 - 91 1/2 Ford F350 Kingpin HPD60. As you may know, this axle is not a small item but very doable in a YJ especially in an SOA outboard fashion, which this front is.

No swaybar, no tracbar, no steering stabilizer. None of that rainbow stuff.

I set it up while converting the front leaf springs to be outboarded, Artec ultimate D60 hysteer arms, 3/4" heim ends, 1.25" x .250" wall DOM steering links I made as well.

For the front drive shaft, I cut & sleeved the old one with 4130 chromo tubing to fit the HPD60 and converted it to a 1350 Spicer yoke on the axle end and stayed with 1310 at the Atlas end.

I run a set of 37" red label sticky Krawlers (non-DOT tires).

Up front, I run RE's SOA 5 pack leafs w/Currie 3/8" boom shackles coupled to a set of Fox 2.0 emulsion shocks (valved 30/90). By far, this is the best SOA set-up I have ever ran or have ever rode in - by far.

Rear suspension is set up similar, but with a MORE traction bar (RE 1.5" leafs, Fox emulsion shocks etc).

There is zero chance to run my set-up without some sort of traction bar/device in the terrain/trails I like to take mine.

39" red label Krawlers, hydro steering, locked 14 Bolt, coilovers, rear upper triangulated 4 link, belly-up, and fuel cell are going in.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5

i am definitely putting in an anti wrap bar. i have brand new 5 pack stock height springs that didn't last a day behind the v8. i have the skyjacker anti wrap setup to put on now that the tons are under and fastened in their final resting place.

thanks for the replies. i suppose i will wait until i get the rig on the road and the wrap bar under before i judge weather i need any trac bars at all.

what lift are all of you running on your soa? i am thinking that i may have to get a 2.5" lift to give the 37"s room to move.

EDIT:
well i guess that answers the lift question. i may just get heavy duty 6 leaf stock height springs to replace my old tired sagged front springs and the wrapped 5 leaf rear springs.
With the cloaks I would think anything other than stock springs would be way over kill on 37s.....

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am running the superlift 1104 pitman arm. It is 4in drop with a 7 in center-center. My draglink is about 1/4 in from the frame at full pass side stuff. This is with double main leafed stock yj springs.

The astro Van arm is flat and would put your draglink into the frame with the pass tire stuffed unless you have a substantial lift. I have very minimal steering issues with the stock yj box and pump. Hydro assist is on the list, but not needed right now.

Trac bars shouldnt even be on your mind. You would have to do some wonky tonky setup to make one that didnt bind the springs something fierce. My jeep has no issues tracking straight and driving smooth down the road. A good set of shocks has something to do with that.

I would be doing a antiwrap bar especially with the V8. suprisingly with mil wraped xj rears i have very little-to-no axle wrap so i have been putting off a antiwrap bar.
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #21
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshbutch View Post
I have been spring over for years,no track bars,sway,or traction bars. I have no death wobble,and no spring wrap. Rubicon express spring over inverted eyes,6 pack springs in all 4 corners
Same here except for BDS

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
My front is an 88 1/2 - 91 1/2 Ford F350 Kingpin HPD60. As you may know, this axle is not a small item but very doable in a YJ especially in an SOA outboard fashion, which this front is.

No swaybar, no tracbar, no steering stabilizer. None of that rainbow stuff.

I set it up while converting the front leaf springs to be outboarded, Artec ultimate D60 hysteer arms, 3/4" heim ends, 1.25" x .250" wall DOM steering links I made as well.

For the front drive shaft, I cut & sleeved the old one with 4130 chromo tubing to fit the HPD60 and converted it to a 1350 Spicer yoke on the axle end and stayed with 1310 at the Atlas end.

I run a set of 37" red label sticky Krawlers (non-DOT tires).

Up front, I run RE's SOA 5 pack leafs w/Currie 3/8" boom shackles coupled to a set of Fox 2.0 emulsion shocks (valved 30/90). By far, this is the best SOA set-up I have ever ran or have ever rode in - by far.

Rear suspension is set up similar, but with a MORE traction bar (RE 1.5" leafs, Fox emulsion shocks etc).

There is zero chance to run my set-up without some sort of traction bar/device in the terrain/trails I like to take mine.

39" red label Krawlers, hydro steering, locked 14 Bolt, coilovers, rear upper triangulated 4 link, belly-up, and fuel cell are going in.
joe i followed your swap for a long time. i think i even asked some questions for my own swap there. this is a nice summary to draw info from in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
With the cloaks I would think anything other than stock springs would be way over kill on 37s.....

only the front is cloaked. i am only contemplating the 2.5" springs due to the rear clearance. you are absolutely correct however. the front has gobs of room even on saggy stock springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post
I am running the superlift 1104 pitman arm. It is 4in drop with a 7 in center-center. My draglink is about 1/4 in from the frame at full pass side stuff. This is with double main leafed stock yj springs.

The astro Van arm is flat and would put your draglink into the frame with the pass tire stuffed unless you have a substantial lift. I have very minimal steering issues with the stock yj box and pump. Hydro assist is on the list, but not needed right now.

Trac bars shouldnt even be on your mind. You would have to do some wonky tonky setup to make one that didnt bind the springs something fierce. My jeep has no issues tracking straight and driving smooth down the road. A good set of shocks has something to do with that.

I would be doing a antiwrap bar especially with the V8. suprisingly with mil wraped xj rears i have very little-to-no axle wrap so i have been putting off a antiwrap bar.
i thought the astro arm was a drop arm. i guess i may have some old reading i did crossed in my head then.

i will be running 5150 front and 5125 rear bilesteins, so i am hoping to have similar results.

thanks everyone for all the input. definately a load off my mind and my wallet. steering stabilizer may still be something i install but not sure yet.

this will save me a couple hundred bucks:
jks tracbars... $200each
tracbar frame and axle mounts...$100 (for both axles)
steering stabilizer... $60
steering stabilizer mounts... $35

that's a pretty hefty load off my wallet that i was worried i couldn't do without on the SOA setup.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5
joe i followed your swap for a long time. i think i even asked some questions for my own swap there. this is a nice summary to draw info from in the future.

only the front is cloaked. i am only contemplating the 2.5" springs due to the rear clearance. you are absolutely correct however. the front has gobs of room even on saggy stock springs.

i thought the astro arm was a drop arm. i guess i may have some old reading i did crossed in my head then.

i will be running 5150 front and 5125 rear bilesteins, so i am hoping to have similar results.

thanks everyone for all the input. definately a load off my mind and my wallet. steering stabilizer may still be something i install but not sure yet.

this will save me a couple hundred bucks:
jks tracbars... $200each
tracbar frame and axle mounts...$100 (for both axles)
steering stabilizer... $60
steering stabilizer mounts... $35

that's a pretty hefty load off my wallet that i was worried i couldn't do without on the SOA setup.
I am running 4 inch sua with 37s on my rig with the mc stretched yj corners and it works great I just barely make contact at full stuff. You would be sitting around 7.5 ish inches of lift which maybe be over kill but that I have no experience with tons!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #24
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Anti-wrap/traction bar only here. No track bar ever.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #25
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Quote:
I am running 4 inch sua with 37s on my rig with the mc stretched yj corners and it works great I just barely make contact at full stuff. You would be sitting around 7.5 ish inches of lift which maybe be over kill but that I have no experience with tons!
I agree, Im SOA +1.5" (7" lift) use to have Metalcloaks and now Genright fender its way too tall. I need to do some spring shuffling here soon.

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras
Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

good info! that's just that much more cash/time i can save by not getting lifted springs. maybe i'll look into cloaks for the rear with all the money i saved from not doing trac bars and steering stabilizer. right now i'm on a set of TJ rubi rear flares. they definitely opened up the rear but not as much as i would like.

what brand double wraps or HD springs are the rest of you running that haven't already supplied the info?

Unread 08-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #27
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i know this thread got stale about a month ago but i still have some questions...

i'm still looking at springs. i think BDS makes a double wrap 2.5" spring specifically for SOA jeeps.

where's a good place to get axle side mounts for the anti wrap bar for a d60 tube size?
i would like to get the higher clearance style that has the center-line near or above the axle center-line.

what length shocks are all of you running? i have 12" front and 10" rear bilsteins. i;m starting to think i may have to put hoops in the front.

what type of body roll/bump steer are you getting?

what did you do to keep it to a minimum?

how hot does your steering box get during heavy see-sawing of the wheel while playing on the trail/mud?
i am thinking i may need a power steering cooler.

one last thing... what do you guys use to get up in your jeeps? i'm 6'5" tall but my rocker panels are at my hip bone level. a little hop and i'm in but my wife is 5'5" and will require some sort of aid to embark the vehicle, lol. i don't want to always have to throw her skinny arse up in the 7' tall monster i have created.

Unread 08-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
i know this thread got stale about a month ago but i still have some questions...

i'm still looking at springs. i think BDS makes a double wrap 2.5" spring specifically for SOA jeeps.
I dont like double wraps because it keeps the leaves from separating limiting droop. If you have to have BDS then cut the second wrap off.

Quote:
where's a good place to get axle side mounts for the anti wrap bar for a d60 tube size?
i would like to get the higher clearance style that has the center-line near or above the axle center-line.

what length shocks are all of you running? i have 12" front and 10" rear bilsteins. i;m starting to think i may have to put hoops in the front.

I used 14" front 12" rear. If you don't rework your shock mounts you are limiting your SOA. I personally think there is no reason to do a SOA with stock mounts.

Quote:

Histeer/crossover

I got some body roll coming from the rear as i did the /\ shock thing. Not terrible but noticeable.

Quote:
how hot does your steering box get during heavy see-sawing of the wheel while playing on the trail/mud?
Don't know I'm always too busy "see-sawing." Eventually you are going to want and give yourself an assist and a cooler is needed anyways.

Quote:
one last thing... what do you guys use to get up in your jeeps? i'm 6'5" tall but my rocker panels are at my hip bone level. a little hop and i'm in but my wife is 5'5" and will require some sort of aid to embark the vehicle, lol. i don't want to always have to throw her skinny arse up in the 7' tall monster i have created.
At some point most people who have gone SOA get over the tall thing and look for ways to bring it back down. moderate shackles, reworking spring mounts, reworking perches are common.
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #29
stone
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I think 2.5" lift springs will be too much lift, just my opinion though.

I'm pretty sure I have a set of BTF brackets in my garage, if I can find them you can have them if you cover shipping.

For mine I'm doing 14" front shocks with the MORE shock mounts. Haven't decided what I'm doing with the rears yet, still need to cut the rear fenders.

37s with stock springs with an extra yj main leaf
stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #30
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Front and rear shocks are Fox 2.0's with 12" travel up front, 10" rear. On both axles, the upper & lower mounts were changed to allow for better ground clearance and raised for travel. MORE mounts were used for the uppers. I made the lower shock tabs since those are easy enough.

There's plenty of room for 37's up front with homebrew tube fenders.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.