YJ+35's+3"lift=goodbye fenders. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ+35's+3"lift=goodbye fenders.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
MiNiSaBa
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ+35's+3"lift=goodbye fenders.

So this is a thread to show guys like me that 35's with 3"lift will not fit without major rubbing. I already knew that 35's would not fit my jeep in its current stance. I ordered my new wheels and tires and three days later I ordered Metalcloak front and rear fenders. I had to get the rear MOD cut mounting plate because upon installation of the tires i knew major rubbing issues were going to be inevitable while driving. This is how the jeep looks like with 35's and 3" springs and 5/8 shackles.

I will update this thread when i get the new fenders installed and painted.

MiNiSaBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Interested seeing how it looks after you put on the fenders
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You have over 3.5" of lift and 4" is undoable with certain name brand tires. The cloaks will look awesome though. I haven't built my skid yet but have everything tucked, how did you make your skid?
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
MiNiSaBa
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinothPro View Post
Interested seeing how it looks after you put on the fenders
I am also interested in how the final look is going to be... I already know its going to be badass, i just cant wait to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDoctor View Post
You have over 3.5" of lift and 4" is undoable with certain name brand tires. The cloaks will look awesome though. I haven't built my skid yet but have everything tucked, how did you make your skid?
I have the stock shovel as a skid plate. I am debating on which UFC belly i want to put under.
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

TJ flares would also fix that right up. Should look good with the MCs.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
MiNiSaBa
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I did think about the TJ flares, but i would have still not been satisfied. I ordered 33's through America's tire, but i really wanted 35's a day later i changed my mind called them and told them to get me the 35's. I was not happy when i made the order for 33 and knew i would be changing them sooner than i would like. I made the order for the metalcloaks for the same reason, any other would not have made me happy. I will update with pics when i get them. I can honestly say that i am not looking foward to installing them though, maybe if i do it one hour a day.
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
boatsandhose
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Please update us as soon as the Metalcloaks come in
boatsandhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The install time is going to take longer than you think. It's not a difficult process but unbolting and reinstalling all the stuff already connected to the fenders is a pain. Then you've got to find a home for the washer bottle.
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
MiNiSaBa
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
The install time is going to take longer than you think. It's not a difficult process but unbolting and reinstalling all the stuff already connected to the fenders is a pain. Then you've got to find a home for the washer bottle.
That's exactly what I don't look foward to do..
I wish I had money to pay someone to do it for me... to bad they cost a pretty shiny penny. But they are so worth it.
I havent had a washer bottle in a lomg time... maybe its te to order one since ill be taking the broken one out. Thanks for the reminder.
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going the route of 92greenyj and installing the washer bottle inside the jeep to spray me when the California sun is taking its toll on my person.
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
MiNiSaBa
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's not a bad idea! My windshield is to small to ever get to dirty. The sprayers would be perfect on the roll bars. Its going ro be just like universal studios with our own hollywood effects.
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
TJ Flares aren't quite open enough for this type of setup. Plus they don't look right with ridiculous-in-your-face Metalcloaks up front.

I wish I had a full side profile pic of my rig as it sits now, TJ Flares and 6" Arched 'Cloaks up front. 2.5" springs and 1" body lift... Almost exactly what the OP has. I will be going with GenRight 6" High-Lined rear flares next to match the front fenders and give me more clearance in the back. As you can see though, the cloaks offer tons of clearance for 35's. I haven't rubbed in the front yet, did some heavy wheeling with the setup, and don't even have bump stops.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
TJ Flares aren't quite open enough for this type of setup. Plus they don't look right with ridiculous-in-your-face Metalcloaks up front.

I wish I had a full side profile pic of my rig as it sits now, TJ Flares and 6" Arched 'Cloaks up front. 2.5" springs and 1" body lift... Almost exactly what the OP has. I will be going with GenRight 6" High-Lined rear flares next to match the front fenders and give me more clearance in the back. As you can see though, the cloaks offer tons of clearance for 35's. I haven't rubbed in the front yet, did some heavy wheeling with the setup, and don't even have bump stops.

I went with the tube flares from smittybilt and they seem to have enough clearance for 35's with a little extra trimming.

Unread 01-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
MiNiSaBa
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post

Thanks for those pics! I didn't order any flares for the front as the cloaks cost me 1000+ then add tires and wheels and my jeep budget somehow depleted. All this time I though santa left me his never ending bag! I did manage to get the rear 4" flares. It will keep CHP off my rear end.
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I went with the tube flares from smittybilt and they seem to have enough clearance for 35's with a little extra trimming.

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.